Sign in to follow this  
Driver170

Dead band simulated

Anyone confirm this happens on the NGX -

Rotate at a rate of 2.0 to 2.5 degrees per second. Beware of a “dead band” around 10 degrees, and maintain a constant rate of rotation towards 15 degrees nose up to a pitch limit of 20 degrees.

Or is the real physics way out of hand for the NGX?

Vernon Howells

"Rotate at a rate of 2.0 to 2.5 degrees per second. Beware of a “dead band” around 10 degrees, and maintain a constant rate of rotation towards 15 degrees nose up to a pitch limit of 20 degrees.

Or is the real physics way out of hand for the NGX? "

Hi Vernon,

honestly I think that life is so short that I've never had time to think at this question...

I prefer enjoy and train when using ngx...

On next 2th april I'm going into a fixed base B738 trainer and there I'll find "dead band"...

Best

Andrea Buono

Rotate at a rate of 2.0 to 2.5 degrees per second. Beware of a “dead band” around 10 degrees, and maintain a constant rate of rotation towards 15 degrees nose up to a pitch limit of 20 degrees.

What is "dead band"?

What is "dead band"?

The Dead Band is caused by the change of airflow over the Stabiliser during rotation.

The normal rotation rate of 2.0-2.5 degrees is maintained up to an attitude of approximately 15 degrees then onto the flight directors. The force you apply on the control column up to around 10 degrees is pretty equal. At approximately 10 degrees, as the aircraft becomes airborne, you hit the dead band. This requires an additional pitch up force on the control column to maintain that constant rotation rate up (2.0-2.5 degrees) to approximately 15 degrees.

It's quite common for new pilots on the 737 to get stuck in the dead band, when I say stuck it means when they hit the dead band there is a slight pause as they adjust the force they apply on the control column to continue through the dead band and up to their target pitch attitude. One elevator position is required before hitting the dead band and another is required to keep a continuous rotation through the dead band.

Even if it was simulated it would be hard to tell as it's a physical force you'd to feel on the control column as you rotate through the dead band!

Now i properly understand the term. Even though we can't feel it in the sim, i'm pretty sure the NGX pauses slightly at 10*? If anyone has noticed! Maybe thats it getting simulated...

Vernon Howells