Sign in to follow this  
2bsc

GMCS in P3D v3.2 limitation?

Hi there,

I just bought the 777-300ER Extension package (again  :wink: ).

One thing I love is of course is the Taxi-Camera, or GMCS, and thank you very much for making it not just a 2D popup, but implemented into the VC (I guess through some cooperation with LM!?)

Anyway... is it a limitation to P3D, that in the bottom two pictures (central landing gear) no weather is being rendered? Or is it a method of yours to reduce the impact on performance? I noticed it on all my testflights so far and was just curious, not that it really bothers me...

Sorry that I got no screenshot ready, but I guess you get my point!

Cheers! 

Carl

I do not recall that being discussed. The performance impact is because LM is still using the CPU to render these "objects" and have not offloaded the work to the GPU yet. There's no filtering of weather or scenery going on by PMDG that I am aware of, even in flight which is not where the GMCS is intended to be used but it works.

Dan Downs KCRP

P3D new Scaleform support is a good match for what PMDG are trying to do with taxi camera. Scaleform is GPU accelerated.

Cheers Rob

There's a screenshot I took earlier...

gmcs777.jpg

I noticed that fog (visibility) and even the flashes of the thunderstorm are shown, but no clouds!

Anybody seeing the same thing?

I noticed that fog (visibility) and even the flashes of the thunderstorm are shown, but no clouds!
Anybody seeing the same thing?
It could be related to the camera settings for that particular view; I noticed in the Majestic Q400, the same issue of no WX out of pax windows, checked the camera settings for those views, and sure enough, there was a line for showweather=0 or something similar. I changed it to =1 and low and behold, weather!

BUT - I am not suggesting you edit any of your PMDG config files as you are likely to break things.

Log a support ticket and see what they suggest.

I recalled this thread during my last B77W flight and took a look. I saw clouds in the GMCS display, and assume all three views were consistent. I don't recall a difference but there may have been one. Regardless, the GMCS has a specific function (aid to taxiing) and not sure why it is trying to be used in flight.  I was surprised that it works in flight to be honest.

Dan Downs KCRP