Sign in to follow this  

I'm looking at buying a new graphics card in the next few months. I've read people using the 980 ti's 980 titan X's which are pretty pricey graphics cards. At this point in time I don't want to break the bank to get a graphics card.

My current specs:

Nvidia GTX 650 ti

DIYPC Skyline-07-G Black/Green SECC ATX Full Tower Gaming USB 3.0 Computer Case w/ 7 x 120mm Green fans

ASUS Z97-E/USB3.1 LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

CORSAIR Hydro Series H50 120mm Quiet Edition Liquid CPU Cooler – Intel Only

Rosewill ARC-650, ARC Series 650W Power Supply, 80 PLUS Bronze Certified, Single +12V Rail, Intel 4th Gen CPU Ready, SLI

Intel Core i7-4790K Devil’s Canyon Quad-Core 4.0GHz LGA 1150 BX80646I74790K Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4600

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-16GXM

Does anyone recommend a good enough graphics card for my system that will help me get by at least until I can do something like say the titan x's? I was thinking of maybe getting another 650 ti so I would have two of them in my system but per my online research, I shouldn't do that.

what is your budget?

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

If you're on budget, the best cost x benefit is GTX 970 from MSI.

It's a good GPU with 4Gb of Ram, and you'll be able to run most of the latest games with full specs (not in 4k res) and will be able to use DSR in some of them.

I personally have a Titan X and it's totally overkill for P3D v3 or XP10 (I can run it maxed out and up to 60fps)

Check this topic http://www.pcgamer.com/the-best-graphics-cards/

what is your budget?

Not more than $500

If you're on budget, the best cost x benefit is GTX 970 from MSI.

It's a good GPU with 4Gb of Ram, and you'll be able to run most of the latest games with full specs (not in 4k res) and will be able to use DSR in some of them.

I personally have a Titan X and it's totally overkill for P3D v3 or XP10 (I can run it maxed out and up to 60fps)

Check this topic http://www.pcgamer.com/the-best-graphics-cards/

Titan X might help out well with triple monitor configurations unless I should be using triplehead2go for a setup such as that?

Hi leefree,

A msi gtx970 might be great for you. I have one myself and I'm reallly pleased with it. I run it at 3440*1440 or 20 or 30 % lower using custom resolution in nvidia settings. Things get a bit more blurry but that is only noticeable when reading Word documents or pdf files. In a game,sorry simulator.. Like p3d and x-plane only the menu texts get slightly blurry, the constantly changing pixels appear the same.

I use the 970gtx together with a 2600k running at 4.4 Ghz. For x-plane I have 32 Gb installed but for P3d 8 or 16 Gb is perfectly fine. I picked up the card for 340 euro's in the Netherlands. It never struggles to get 30 fps even with high resolutions. I must note that I fly in fair weather and in GA aircraft only.

Good luck with your choice!

As mentioned above, the best bang for the buck is the GTX970 (which can be overclocked to 980 levels).

Yeah I've been looking at prices online for the 970. Pretty good pricing for a card like that. Definitely want to get this card. Thanks for the help, guys :)

970 is your best bet as everyone has said before. I had it, its a good card for 1080p gaming, SGSS will kill it in P3D though (even 2X) in dense clouds. 

Cheers!

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

I was just wondering the same. Was going with SLi 970s or wait for Pascal this spring/summer. My issue is if the CPU will bottleneck. Have an i5 3570k @ 4.1Ghz and 24Gb RAM. Not looking to upgrade mother board and everything else.

I was just wondering the same. Was going with SLi 970s or wait for Pascal this spring/summer. My issue is if the CPU will bottleneck. Have an i5 3570k @ 4.1Ghz and 24Gb RAM. Not looking to upgrade mother board and everything else.

It won't bottleneck for sure. By the way thats an odd number for RAM lol.

It won't bottleneck for sure. By the way thats an odd number for RAM lol.

Lol yea. I had 8Gb when I built it and got 16Gb later and just kept the 8Gb in.

Lol yea. I had 8Gb when I built it and got 16Gb later and just kept the 8Gb in.

I see. Unless you do video editing or the sorts I don't think you will need that extra 8gb anytime soon.

Besides you will probably see a performance boost by removing it and going back to dual channel ddr.

Edit : Oh and btw you might get memory errors and such by mixing RAM kits.

970 card seems to be the best bang for my buck. I also posted this same question on a CGI animation forum and they said that this card would also be good for 3D animation and editing although alot of them recommended the Titan X lol. But at least with this card, I can kill two birds with one stone so to speak lol

Is flight simming the only kind of "game" you are using your PC for? When not then also the ATI R9 390 is also worth considering.

This GPU is in the same price range like the GTX970 but more powerful in the majority of other video games especially in 2k or 4k.

It also does have 8GB of VRAM instead of 3.5GB (+ slow 0.5GB) VRAM.

I also saw a test that this GPU is as powerful like the 980ti when running in DirectX 12 (at least testing in Hitman, which is the only game available with DX12).

I am using this one in my rig and I am quite happy with it. Unfortunately I don't have a direct comparison with a GTX970 in P3D, so i don't know how much better P3D would run with it.

But I can run P3D with high moderate settings above 30FPS (unlimited) with 5 layers ASN clouds (Rex texture), PMDG 737, 60 WoAI Planes. 

If Titan X is out of your budget  I would go with 980TI and no less - tons of bang for the buck  :wink:

Rich Sennett