Sign in to follow this  

I have been running the 970 since it is on the market and while I agree that it is a fine card, even at 4K, there is the issue that the last 0.5 GB are not connected to the high speed bus. Take a scenery like ORBX SoCal, fly over KLAS or KSAN and have a look at the memory that is used. With scenery and autogen at dense or normal the usage is between 3.2 and 3.4 GB (no clouds). Throw in some bad weather and you can imagine what happens. I would most likely not settle for a 4 GB card anymore and certainly not for a 3.5 GB card. 980ti would be my choice today. 

Hans

If you're on budget, the best cost x benefit is GTX 970 from MSI.

It's a good GPU with 4Gb of Ram, and you'll be able to run most of the latest games with full specs (not in 4k res) and will be able to use DSR in some of them.

I personally have a Titan X and it's totally overkill for P3D v3 or XP10 (I can run it maxed out and up to 60fps)

Check this topic http://www.pcgamer.com/the-best-graphics-cards/

It's not overkill if you use monitors higher tan 1080p...

Having a fast video card is never over kill - flightsim will use all of it one way or the other been like that forever - also worth mentioning is each newer card has never been an earth shattering difference - the cure for that would be a solid sim platform from the ground up 

Rich Sennett

Is flight simming the only kind of "game" you are using your PC for? When not then also the ATI R9 390 is also worth considering.

This GPU is in the same price range like the GTX970 but more powerful in the majority of other video games especially in 2k or 4k.

It also does have 8GB of VRAM instead of 3.5GB (+ slow 0.5GB) VRAM.

I also saw a test that this GPU is as powerful like the 980ti when running in DirectX 12 (at least testing in Hitman, which is the only game available with DX12).

I am using this one in my rig and I am quite happy with it. Unfortunately I don't have a direct comparison with a GTX970 in P3D, so i don't know how much better P3D would run with it.

But I can run P3D with high moderate settings above 30FPS (unlimited) with 5 layers ASN clouds (Rex texture), PMDG 737, 60 WoAI Planes. 

I play other games too but I wanting to gear my PC towards flight simming. Is that ATI R9 compatible with intel based PC's?

If Titan X is out of your budget  I would go with 980TI and no less - tons of bang for the buck  :wink:

Yeah the 980ti is even out of my price range. I may be able to get away using the 970 for right now. I just need something that's better than the 650ti but won't break the bank because I do have other purchases for my flight simulator that I need to make :)

I play other games too but I wanting to gear my PC towards flight simming. Is that ATI R9 compatible with intel based PC's?

It doesn't matter which CPU you are using for your GPU. My system runs with an i5 6500k for example.

Yeah the 980ti is even out of my price range. I may be able to get away using the 970 for right now. I just need something that's better than the 650ti but won't break the bank because I do have other purchases for my flight simulator that I need to make :)

Good luck with your choice  :wink:

Rich Sennett

Save your pennies and wait to get a pascal.

Done!

I upgrade every 5 years but get something quite powerful enough for that period of time.

It's a waste of money to upgrade every year for minimal increase in peerformance.

Cheers

Mike

Yes the best thing to do would to be wait for pascal. They're due pretty soon.

980ti is no doubt the best card for gaming at this moment but it's out of the budget for many.

In terms of best bang for buck right now it's still the 970 or R9390 for AMD. But I personally would stick with Nvidia for the time being.

My 970 never goes anywhere near the 3.5gb mark at maxed out settings at 1200p.

If you can wait then just wait for the pascal equivalent of the 970 (1070?). I'm sure it won't disappoint.

Yes the best thing to do would to be wait for pascal. They're due pretty soon.

980ti is no doubt the best card for gaming at this moment but it's out of the budget for many.

In terms of best bang for buck right now it's still the 970 or R9390 for AMD. But I personally would stick with Nvidia for the time being.

My 970 never goes anywhere near the 3.5gb mark at maxed out settings at 1200p.

If you can wait then just wait for the pascal equivalent of the 970 (1070?). I'm sure it won't disappoint.

Its been a long time since I've used a ATI card. I like the fact that its 8 gb and the price is good. Gotta check though if this will also be good for 4K video editing, compositing and 3D animation. As far as I was told on the CGI message boards, they recommended Nvidia 970 on up. lol at this point, I should just build a separate rig for flight simulator.

Titan X is overkill for most of games today, period. I bought it as an investment to don't change GPU for the next 2-3 years, and I was using a GTX 680 for the past 3 years and running everything smoothly.

With $500 you can find very good second hand 980 or 980Ti (you will have at most 5fps less than Titan X) and some points it get even.

Titan X is overkill for most of games today, period. I bought it as an investment to don't change GPU for the next 2-3 years, and I was using a GTX 680 for the past 3 years and running everything smoothly.

With $500 you can find very good second hand 980 or 980Ti (you will have at most 5fps less than Titan X) and some points it get even.

Yeah that's what I want to eventually get especially for video editing and 3D work.

Guest JustanotherPilot

leefree

I have the 4790K and the gtx680. I improved performance   in P3D32 by overclocking the cpu to @4.5 using a cooler master air cooler and intel's OC software and downloading a settings profile - easy. I'm happy with this until I can oick up a gtx980 when on sale.

Its been a long time since I've used a ATI card. I like the fact that its 8 gb and the price is good. Gotta check though if this will also be good for 4K video editing, compositing and 3D animation. As far as I was told on the CGI message boards, they recommended Nvidia 970 on up. lol at this point, I should just build a separate rig for flight simulator.

If you're gonna do video editing and such then more memory might be essential. The reason why I choose to stick with Nvidia and probably why you were recommended the same by CGI is drivers. IMO Nvidia has been quite ahead in driver and game support compared to AMD. 

I've always felt that the extra bucks I pay for an Nvidia over a similar tier AMD GPU goes well to keep consistent updates and performance. Had an AMD before and can't say the same.

That being said I'm no fan-boy (not sure why this word is censored by the forum?) but until AMD comes up with something convincing that doesn't include rebranding older series cards my choice is clear.