Sign in to follow this  
ashepherd316

AA for P3D v3.2

The best one is the one that totally kills performance. If you would like a more serious answer, add your system specs to your post, so at least your CPU, GPU and the resolution you use.

With that resolution you might give 4x SGSS with nVidia Inspector a try. Set AA to Enhance the Application Setting and set Transparency Supersampling to 4x Sparse Grid Supersampling. Set AA in P3D to 4x. Usually these setting will kill performance in clouds but with your setup and specially that resolution you might get anyway with it. You might even try 8x for both but that might really hurt performance in clouds. If things get tough you could try 2x too.

This will cost money. However, when you are in the market for a new monitor, you may wish to consider a move to either 4k or a 21:9 3440 x 1440 widescreen (even 8k down the road :) ). The higher resolution reduces the need for AA. Jeroen is quite right. If you use Nvidia Inspector's Sparse Grid Supersampling (SGSAA) you will get superior AA. However, performance will tank in coudy/foggy conditions.

You may also wish to check out DSR. It is explained here: http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/dsr

Your video card is DSR capable and would almost certsinly run a 4k monitor/tv.

Good luck!

do i need to apply those settings in ni in the global profile or is there a profile for p3d also where can i get ni from thanks.

Alexander Shepherd

also i turned off wide view aspect ratio and saw an increase in fps and smoothness is that normal my monitor is a 24 inch.

Alexander Shepherd

I'm still trying to find the sweet spot too. I'm running an i5 4670k at 4.4GHZ with a 780ti overclocked to 1200MHZ. what do you guys think would be best.

Thanks

I'm still trying to find the sweet spot too. I'm running an i5 4670k at 4.4GHZ with a 780ti overclocked to 1200MHZ. what do you guys think would be best.

Thanks

With 3.2 the AA is considerably improved so try MSAAx4 first. If you still see shimmering and jaggies then try 2xsgss with 2xmsaa.

With 3.2 the AA is considerably improved so try MSAAx4 first. If you still see shimmering and jaggies then try 2xsgss with 2xmsaa.

Are you still using NI with 3.2?

Are you still using NI with 3.2?

I've stopped using SGSSAA but I still use other aspects of NI. 

Some say they still get shimmering if they don't use SGSSAA but for me it seems ok with MSAA alone. Not that bad at least.

do i need to apply those settings in ni in the global profile or is there a profile for p3d also where can i get ni from thanks.

Apply the settings to a P3D profile: if you haven't got one, create one (and don't forget to add the P3D.exe to it). Do not use the global profile or EVERY game will use those settings.

also i turned off wide view aspect ratio and saw an increase in fps and smoothness is that normal my monitor is a 24 inch.

Changing the wide view aspect also changes the default zoom: with wide view set to off you simply see a lot less of the world around you and so you gain fps and hence smoothness (because the PC has less to render). Some say that even when you change the zoom for wide view off and on to look about the same, using wide view off might help performance a little (but only a little). I personally don't notice a difference and have wide view on together with a zoom of 0.70.

I've stopped using SGSSAA but I still use other aspects of NI.

Some say they still get shimmering if they don't use SGSSAA but for me it seems ok with MSAA alone. Not that bad at least.

Take note that this also depends on the plane. With 3.2 ingame AA is absolutely great in the Aerosoft Airbus with all its little knobs but in the RealAir Legacy or A2A GA's even the large gauges still shimmer like crazy. (I don't use NO because my PC specs aren't good enough to use SGSS.)

Yes I don't fly any GA aircraft at the moment so the only shimmering I get is from the scenery. 

That being said, I loaded up a flight yesterday and it was bogging down with rain. Thick and dense clouds. And with only 2xMSAA my 970 was already struggling to keep up. This is slightly disturbing. Previously only SGSS would cause problems in clouds but now even 2xMSAA?