Sign in to follow this  
freded

A/P & FMS Problems

I am unable to make the Citation CJ2 capture the Flight Plan that I have set in the FMS. When the aircraft is airborne, I turn the A/P on and then click on NAV but the aircraft ignores the flight plan, even if I set 'PRESET' to FMS.

I have successfully employed Flight Management in a number of other FSX aircraft, including some by Carenado, but the system on the CJ2 defeats me. It is usually enough to set the A/P to NAV and,as in the case of G1000 systems to select GPS on the PFD.

In all, I find the FMS and A/P to be unintuitive and user-unfriendly despite my efforts to understand it. Perhaps there is some factor I am missing and, if so, would someone please enlighten me?

Otherwise, I find the CJ2 to be rewarding to fly.

Are you flying in the general direction of your initial leg? Improper Intercept angle may be a factor. Either hand fly or use the HDG to setup a reasonable intercept of your active leg.

Regards,

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

I am unable to make the Citation CJ2 capture the Flight Plan that I have set in the FMS. When the aircraft is airborne, I turn the A/P on and then click on NAV but the aircraft ignores the flight plan, even if I set 'PRESET' to FMS.

This is indeed non-intuitive. What is displayed in PRESET is NOT what is currently selected... it is what will be selected when you press the PRESET button. 

Not sure that is what is causing you the issue but you should see FMS in green in the upper left if you have it set properly. 

Eddie
KABQ

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Yes, I was flying in the general direction of the flight plan.

When it failed to capture, I did indeed select Heading and crossed the flight plan vector several times at various angles (as I have successfully done many times on different aircraft) then switching back to NAV - but no capture occurred.

The flight plan shows up on both the MFD and the PFD, so it's valid.

Another point that has just occurred to me: the FMS won't allow me to insert waypoints after (or before) adding the origin and arrival airfields. I create a flight plan in FSX, print it out and then copy the points onto the Citation's FMS. But intermediate waypoints cannot be inserted. Is this normal or am I in error somewhere? I have followed the directions in the manual.

Any more help will be gratefully received!

Sounds like you have my old problem.  On the Display Control Panel (long narrow panel right of PFD) click on the second bar button from top.  Will read NAV BRG. That will put NAV SOURCE on the PFD on the left side of the PFD adjacent to the LSK1.  FMS1 Will be hi-lighted in blue.  Once airborne, put aircraft in autopilot, then click on NAV.  It will then follow your programmed FMS route.  Of course you still have to manage your climb etc.

Now, I just learnt this, this morning from some helpful forum members; For your ILS capture – Anytime clicking on LSK1 of the PFD will put a blue box around the NAV SOURCE.  FMS1 will also be blue.  Below FMS1 is VOR1 and VOR2.  Once the blue box is hi-lighted go to the Display Control Panel and click on the outer dial of MENU SET (there’s an inner – DATA, and outer – MENU AVD).  Turning MENU ADV will hi-light VOR1.  At that time you will be able to set the course.  Providing you have the ILS frequency programmed in TUN in the FMS you are good to go for an ILS approach.

Bruce R    

Bruce Ross

Thank you, Meeko!

That did it... The DCP was the answer. No mention of that in the manual that I could find.

I'll take your advice about the ILS, too.

Mark

The manual, oh yes.  Don't get me started on that.  Carenado have top notch graphics inside and outside of aircraft.  They're up there with the best.  But they do themselves no favours by having no flight manuals/tutorials.  I think it's a shame we have to learn these procedures from other more knowledgeable members on this forum.     

Bruce Ross

Yes, it isn't just the Citation's manual that's under par. Compare Carenado's manuals with for instance those by A2A or VRS... Does Carenado assume all its customers are retired airline pilots?

I thank my lucky stars that there are "more knowledgeable members" on this forum, such as yourself, as otherwise I was seriously considering ditching the CJ2 and asking for a refund. Carenado, please take note! I'm sure I'm not the only customer who has difficulty in working out how best to use their products.

Mark

Hi guys.  Just found this topic after spending a couple days playing around with the Citation for p3d v4.  I was able to program a flight plan but couldn't get the aircraft to follow it.  I will try the advice mentioned abov EF. 

Thanks.

Hilkiah

Hilkiah G. Lavinier

P3d v4.3, ORBX (global/trees/vector/LC,airports), Envshade/Envtek, Pilot2ATC, PRO-ATC, Navigraph, PFPX, ASCA/AS, Freemesh 2.0, Aivlasoft EFB v2, Various addon airports, FSL A319X/A320X, PMDG 737/777/747, TFDI 717, QW 787, Carenados jets

Intel i7 4790k (no OC & no hyperthreading), 16gb, Nvidia 980ti (no OC), 3xSSDs, Acer Predator XB281HK (4K resolution), Windows 10 (1803 build) - runs P3D 

Intel NUC7i7BNH i7, 16gb, M2 ssd, Windows 10 (build 1803) - runs AS/ASCA, Pilot2ATC, Aivlasoft EFB 

On 3/21/2016 at 9:05 PM, Meeko said:

The manual, oh yes.  Don't get me started on that.  Carenado have top notch graphics inside and outside of aircraft.  They're up there with the best.  But they do themselves no favours by having no flight manuals/tutorials.  I think it's a shame we have to learn these procedures from other more knowledgeable members on this forum.     

These programs are written for pilots - the guys who fly the plane.  I have over 9000 hours of high altitude flight above 40000 feet and not once have I ever worried about the outside color of the aircraft or if the tables in the passenger cabin go up or not. 

The programmers need to get the cockpit right.  The navigation right.  That's what the pilots and simmers need.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, captflyby said:

1. I have over 9000 hours of high altitude flight above 40000 feet and not once have I ever worried about the outside color of the aircraft or if the tables in the passenger cabin go up or not. 

2. The programmers need to get the cockpit right.  The navigation right.  That's what the pilots and simmers need.

1.You are actually counting the flight hours above FL400 ? Why if I may ask?

2.You need very good gauge programmers to achieve that. For the model, texture and FDE you can use what FSX and the SDK provide. To do the systems correct you need additional programming skills that circumnavigate the FSX  restrictions and very only few developers have such a team. Furthemore additional programming takes a lot of time and most other devs need 10 times longer than Alabeo/Carenado to develop a plane.

Hi J35OE -  :biggrin:  Actually there was a little climb time and descent time as I recall...

I checked the FMS on this v4 CJ2 in the aircraft panel.cfg file.  It looks like Carenado just tried to cut and past the gauge from v3 into v4 but it didn't work.

Waiting patiently for Flight 1 and Reality XP as to which can deliver a fully functional Garmin GTN 750 for this aircraft.  Who knows, they both may provide an excellent solution.