Sign in to follow this  
pots

Hal Stoen has passed away

According to his site stoenworks.com he was diagnosed with multiple myeloma cancer in September 2015, now has passed away.

Obituary from colemanfuneralhome site:

"Obituary for Hal Stoen

Hal Stoen, 74, died Friday, February 12, 2016 at Baptist Memorial Hospital in Oxford, MS.
To quote Mr. Stoen, "Born in the town of Lafayette, Indiana I now find myself living in Lafayette County, Mississippi- let the circle be unbroken". He and his wife, Penny, had lived in Minneapolis approximately 40 years before moving to Oxford. Mr. Stoen was a veteran of the United States Navy. He began flying after leaving the Navy, getting his Private Pilot license in 1966. After years as a flight instructor, he became a corporate pilot; a position he held for 18 years. Mr. Stoen flew airplanes for almost 25 years, accumulating over 6,000 logged hours. Mr. Stoen worked as manager of the electrical department of a woodworking company after his aviation career. He has written several books related to aviation and World War II transports. 
A memorial service will be held at a later date to be determined. Coleman Funeral Home is in charge of local arrangements.
Survivors include his wife, Penny Stoen, of Oxford, MS; several extended family members, Geri Berg, Marlene (Ken) Wright, Dewey (Susie) Hibben and Dean (Jeanette) Hibben; many nieces and nephews.
His parents, Dr. Harold and Phyllis Stoen, and a sister, Peggy Hedberg, preceded Mr. Stoen in death.
Memorials may be made to the charity of the giver's choice.
Online condolences may be left on the Tribute Wall at www.colemanfuneralhome.com
"When once you have tasted flight you will always walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward; for there you have been and there you will always be."
Leonardo da Vinci

"

I have read his aviation articles from CD for two years and still find new things.

Vahur

Very sorry to hear. His website is full of entertaining and educational material and is a fantastic resource to learn about aviation. It's been a great help to me and I'm sure many simmers and r/w pilots. RIP

Barry Friedman

Although I never had occasion to visit, I certainly knew the name. I offer my condolences to his widow and remaining family. His was a life well lived, so RIP Hal! Fly high with the angels.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

My Condolences

Once I knew his site just kept going back for more; great info and resources!

Sad to hear. My sincere condolences..

jime

Banner_MJC5.png

James D. Edwards

This is really, really sad.

With no one else to ask, a few years ago, I searched the web for information about aviation - how to fly, from the basics to the more advanced topics. Eventually, I stumbled upon Hal's awesome site.

From that day on, I regularly read his articles which he wrote in a detailed, understandable and humorous way. I learned a lot from him and it even was like I learned to know him over the time from his stories that I read over and over with joy each time.

Learning from Hal was a lot of fun.

The day he announced his disease on the website was a shock for me.

Hoping that he could make it, I visited his site again and again to see if he would report back again.

However, we know, that did not happen.

My thoughts go out to Hal's family and friends.

Hal, wherever you are now, thank you. Everybody who knew you, everybody who was lucky enough to learn from you will remember you up there, cruising the friendly skies.

Condolences to his friends and family. I visited his page a few times. Sorry to see that it seems to be taken off the net now. It would be a great legacy for Mr. Stoen.

Hans

Speaking about Mr. Stoen's legacy.

I wonder if his CD is still available for purchase somewhere. Or maybe someone could share it as an image, if it's considered ok copyright-wise. It would be a shame if this important part of his legacy is lost; there should be more info than on the archived website.

• Like 1

Hal will be sorely missed. Thank you for all you have contributed to the aviation community.

William