Sign in to follow this  
leefree

Touchscreen Inquiry

I've been deciding whether to go this route for a overhead panel, using a touch screen for it because I like to fly the PMDG 737, 747, 777 and the Airbus A321. With touchscreen, it offers flexibility but I'm wondering how it would react to commands where you would have to right click on a button or a knob or a switch? Anyone on here who has a simpit and uses touchscreens have any suggestions?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi, I have a cockpit for the 737 and my suggestion is to avoid touch screens.

It's true that maybe you can have flexibility if you want to use more aircrafts but I never seen one that would work flawlessly.

Knobs and multifunction switches would be a pain to use with a touch screen.

Time ago I considered a touch screen for the FMC, at the end I got an used flyenfravity and was a good choice, for me. 

If you plan to build yourself a simpit without having a real looking layout, you can always build a simple OVH with real switches/knobs/korrys and assign the different functions via FSUIPC. 

It's cheap to make and you could use it with different planes if you set different configurations for each plane.

To flip a real switch or a knob is a much better feeling than trying to tap on a "little something" on a screen

Hi, I have a cockpit for the 737 and my suggestion is to avoid touch screens.

It's true that maybe you can have flexibility if you want to use more aircrafts but I never seen one that would work flawlessly.

Knobs and multifunction switches would be a pain to use with a touch screen.

Time ago I considered a touch screen for the FMC, at the end I got an used flyenfravity and was a good choice, for me. 

If you plan to build yourself a simpit without having a real looking layout, you can always build a simple OVH with real switches/knobs/korrys and assign the different functions via FSUIPC. 

It's cheap to make and you could use it with different planes if you set different configurations for each plane.

To flip a real switch or a knob is a much better feeling than trying to tap on a "little something" on a screen

Yeah I could do something like that. Use the Leo Bodnar card to interface with the different knobs and switches.

I have 2 leo bodnar on my 737 and they work great.

I am not sure anyway if they are still available. Time ago i tried to connect to their website and couldn't go on to the basket.

I thought they maybe left retail and concentrated on bigger projects. I was looking for a cap switch they had on stock and now they don't sell it anymore... :-(

Also, I find my touchscreen will not perform a "right click" in P3Dv3. Right clicks work fine in FSX however.

I have 2 leo bodnar on my 737 and they work great.

I am not sure anyway if they are still available. Time ago i tried to connect to their website and couldn't go on to the basket.

I thought they maybe left retail and concentrated on bigger projects. I was looking for a cap switch they had on stock and now they don't sell it anymore... :-(

That's really cool. I've been wondering about the Bodnar cards which you can still purchase. Push button and rotary knobs should be able to work with the cards, correct?

I jumped on the net an got a cheap small touchscreen that fits perfectly on top of my saitek yoke unit  to display the main flight instruments. I can also use it to display anything else I choose eg GPS.. ATC

The one problem with it is that by touching the screen to manipulate switches etc,, choosing ATC option.., you then have to remember to mouse click back on the main monitor afterwards. This is important in my set up as my POV switch is used for eye rotation views which I think a lot of people use it for, and if the main screen is not "clicked" then moving the POV will move my main instruments  left / right.. same problem will apply to a top consule being displayed..

I jumped on the net an got a cheap small touchscreen that fits perfectly on top of my saitek yoke unit  to display the main flight instruments. I can also use it to display anything else I choose eg GPS.. ATC

The one problem with it is that by touching the screen to manipulate switches etc,, choosing ATC option.., you then have to remember to mouse click back on the main monitor afterwards. This is important in my set up as my POV switch is used for eye rotation views which I think a lot of people use it for, and if the main screen is not "clicked" then moving the POV will move my main instruments  left / right.. same problem will apply to a top consule being displayed..

thanks for raising this good point, so if I use a touchscreen to press my 2-d panels (via 3rd party software), then my flight simulator would actually pause because I have clicked outside the application is that correct?

thanks for raising this good point, so if I use a touchscreen to press my 2-d panels (via 3rd party software), then my flight simulator would actually pause because I have clicked outside the application is that correct?

If You use P3D you can uncheck the "Pause On Task Switch" Option in General -> Settings.

Same problem here, got a 4 screen setup, one being a Touchscreen for the GTN and some switches.

hate when that happens, my view turns 180°

Let me see if I can solve that with a small app.

(Give me some time, Busy weekend)

my flight simulator would actually pause because I have clicked outside the application is that correct?

The main screen keeps going.. my point is simply that the POV knob on yoke and other buttons will be linked to the active screen so until the main screen gets active again with a mouse click, these buttons will stay linked to the secondary screen (touch screen)