Sign in to follow this  
ypaul123

Author's Opinion Needed.

Hey,

All of my life I've been a fan of the Dash8, and I really really want to learn how to fly it "professionally" in the sim.

The problem, however is that I'm not quite familiar with advanced navigation. Sure, I know how to track a simple VOR radial or NDB, but I've never attempted a VOR/NDB app nor Have I ever took the time to learn how to read approach plates/STARs/SIDs.

What would you recommend me to do - first focus on the basics and then move to the Q400 or do them both simultaneously ?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Paul.

Paul in the Q400 Cadet program there is a section dedicated to helping you understand SIDS/STARS and how to plug them into the aircraft. Modern airliners track the departure and arrival routes automatically so in reality although it initially appears to be quite complicated, it really is pretty straightforward. We do several SID and STARs in the course with chart overlays and a full explanation of what's going on and how it all works. Once you've watched it, it'll all fall into place.

99% of the time you will simply land to an ILS, which is well covered in the Cadet series. Sometimes things become a little more challenging when the ILS is only partly or non-functional and you are required to perform a VOR, LOC DME, RNAV or (in a very rare situation) an NDB arrival. How to perform these is covered in the First Officer course.

airline2sim_pilot_logo_360x.png?v=160882| Ben Weston www.airline2sim.com