Sign in to follow this  
PilotPete99

Opinions on Tropicalsim KMCI

Just wondering if anyone has this scenery and cares to comment on the quality. I find it rather odd that this scenery has been out for some time now but I can't seem to find any review, not even a brief review. Since its release, Tropicalsim has not included this during their usual sales, but now it has finally been included and is available at 30% off. I do have a fair amount of their airports and find them to be fairly good (some better than others). Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Pete

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

Pete,

I purchased MCI a few weeks ago and use it P3D.  I think its fairly good quality, the photoreal textures surrounding the airport doesn't quite match up with ORBX global textures.  Overall the airport has good building modeling and texturing, but don't expect it to be FSDT/Flightbeam quality.  More importantly I haven't experienced any performance issues with it at all.  It does its job in filling a void in the area that I fly.  

Here's a link to a few shots of the airport I posted in the screenshot forum a few weeks ago:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/484338-f-16-p3dv3-4k/ 

Hope that helps.

Brian

Brian Riggs

PPL 2001

Thanks Brian, those shots look great. Sounds like a winner for $15, guess I'll give it a shot. I have the old Just Flight version (although haven't used in years) and it just kicked the snot out of my performance. Should create a nice quick hop flight from KSTL.

Cheers, Pete

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

You bet.  I hope you see improved performance with this version.  Good luck!

Brian Riggs

PPL 2001

I've found TropicalSim airports to be consistently good with few problems. They usually respond via email if you have a question or issue within a couple days. Don't expect jaw dropping perfection but they do airports no one else does. I plan on picking this up soon once Orbx OpenLC is released and I want to fly routes in the NGX in America.

Hi! I picked up KMCI in the current sale. It's a very good price for what you get. Nice worn textures and reflections on the terminals, CTRL-J jetways and 3d grass with almost no framehit. I think the photoreal is very good and the blending to the default FSX ground textures are some of the best I've ever seen, I'm not kidding. I can't vouch for how it blends with FTX Global because I don't use it for my heavy jet flights but with the default textures it blends very well and I wish more developers would take their time to blend photoreal like that. I was honestly surprised of how good it was. Performance? you wouldn't know that it's a big airport because because there is virtually no performance hit at all, I know it isn't exactly FSDT or Flightbeam quality but still, great performance! For the price that it's going for right now, it's a steal. Haven't checked VAS usage but I wouldn't think it would be a problem, I don't fly heavies with FTX Global vector or UTX on anyway. Only thing I feel missing a little is different animations and maybe apron traffic, not a biggie but would be nice to have.

It's definitely a good pick for the price. However, I think it's a bit lifeless - compared to their KDCA for example. I contrast you get a very good performance out of it.

Cheers

Frank

another thing to add, as soon as i installed Tropicalsim KMCI it can corrupt you FSDT GSX textures. I've read some posts online and it sounds like it's possible it shares? information in the fsx.cfg file. I had to reformat hard drive and all of my FSDT stuff works fine but as soon as I install KMCI, the ground serves may become floating objects, the vehicles don't appear but are pulling the baggage carts, a real bummer for me. There's no fix for this other than to choose which addon you want to use i guess... 

another thing to add, as soon as i installed Tropicalsim KMCI it can corrupt you FSDT GSX textures. I've read some posts online and it sounds like it's possible it shares? information in the fsx.cfg file. I had to reformat hard drive and all of my FSDT stuff works fine but as soon as I install KMCI, the ground serves may become floating objects, the vehicles don't appear but are pulling the baggage carts, a real bummer for me. There's no fix for this other than to choose which addon you want to use i guess... 

Did you try running the gsx installer again after installing kmci? I don't see why they could conflict, unless you have another afcad file somewhere like in a mytraffic scenery folder? kmci doesn't use SODE does it?

Did you try running the gsx installer again after installing kmci? I don't see why they could conflict, unless you have another afcad file somewhere like in a mytraffic scenery folder? kmci doesn't use SODE does it?

Yup - did fsx.cfg delete, deleted the two shader files and the facilities/scenery indexes. No bueno.

Yup - did fsx.cfg delete, deleted the two shader files and the facilities/scenery indexes. No bueno.

And you searched for other airport afcad files? You checked the dll.xml file to see if it was formatted wrong? If KMCI uses the SODE program then that breaks GSX and they are working on an update.

And you searched for other airport afcad files? You checked the dll.xml file to see if it was formatted wrong? If KMCI uses the SODE program then that breaks GSX and they are working on an update.

I will retract...

It is something I never would have guessed. I did another reformat, installed FSX + SP1 + SP2 and GSX only. GSX worked perfectly. Installed PMDG 737, and everything continued to work great. Installed PMDG 777 and issue arose. I had not yet added a single scenery, FSUIPC or any other addon. So the issue actually isn't with TS KMCI (thankfully). As soon as I uninstalled the 777, issue went away. So I have isolated it to specifically the 777 and not the scenery. I never had this issue before so it's something new, but with the same exact setup. I do know FSDT uses a different front-end install interface than when I had last done my format back in 2011 so I'm not sure if they updated something that between my video card/PMDG777/FSDT GSX just doesn't like.

I will retract...

It is something I never would have guessed. I did another reformat, installed FSX + SP1 + SP2 and GSX only. GSX worked perfectly. Installed PMDG 737, and everything continued to work great. Installed PMDG 777 and issue arose. I had not yet added a single scenery, FSUIPC or any other addon. So the issue actually isn't with TS KMCI (thankfully). As soon as I uninstalled the 777, issue went away. So I have isolated it to specifically the 777 and not the scenery. I never had this issue before so it's something new, but with the same exact setup. I do know FSDT uses a different front-end install interface than when I had last done my format back in 2011 so I'm not sure if they updated something that between my video card/PMDG777/FSDT GSX just doesn't like.

The 777 adds 3 entries I believe to the xml file, something could have gone wrong with that process.