Sign in to follow this  
nerrad33

MSFSX or X Plane 10

I recieved a $100 gift cerificate for Steam. I've had X-Plane 10 in my wish list for a while, its a bit pricey. Is different from MSFSX? Is it better? Or is my money better spent on planes for MSFSX, or something else? Any thoughts are welcome.

Hi,

This thread will start a flame wars MFS vs. XP

In any case, MFSX is dead software already. The "evolution" of FSX would be Prepar3D. So you should really decide between P3D or XP.

FSX Steam Edition is just FSX with the two Service Packs and a couple bug fixes, as far as I know.

XP is great for its flight dynamics. XP also looks great out of the box and there's lots of freeware sceneries that will make it look even better. XP also runs on Windows, Mac and Linux and is a 64-bit application, these are important things to know and consider because FSX only runs on Windows and is 32-bit, which means it can only use up to 4GB or RAM and therefore it might run out of memory (OOM nightmare).

FSX/P3D is great for the number and quality of add-on aircraft, airports, scenery etc. available. The best addon aircraft released for the general public are, as of today, available on FSX/P3D. You can make it look really great if you put in the bucks.

Below find my personal opinion:

X-Plane is the better "FLIGHT SIMULATOR". The problem with XP is the lack of third party add-ons. This is changing very rapidly though, there's a large and ever growing community of users at X-Plane.org.

Many users, such as myself, use BOTH simulators actively.

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

In any case, MFSX is dead software already.

Based on the activity on AVSIM and products being released I would say that MSFSX is far from dead. 

As for FSX Steam or XPlane.  I would recommend that you download the XPlane demo.  I don't know if there are differences between it and XPlane Steam, but it will give you a great opportunity to experience what it is like.

The FSX demo is still available if you want to give it a try.  Again, not the Steam version and the Steam version should run better, but it will give you something to use for comparison with the XPlane demo.

In any event, unless the gift certificate is dated I would sit on it a bit.  Steam has frequent sales on FSX and you can pick it up for less then $10 USD during one.  XPlane also goes on sale, but not as frequently. 

Ernie

Ernest Pergrem

I would also lobby you to try the X-Plane 10 demo before purchasing. X-Plane is a different beast with different strengths and weaknesses when compared against the MSFS family, so seeing how you like it is probably a good idea before making the purchase.

It's ALSO worth noting that it would appear there is a sale kicking off right now on Steam for FSX:SE (Steam Edition) as well as various addons which might influence your decision also.

Do you currently have FSX:Steam Edition, or FSX:Original? Note that FSX:SE is visually identical to FSX. FSX:SE has better memory management than FSX, and some state that it operates a bit smoother with fewer crashes. I tend to agree with that sentiment.

Either way - that's a nice gift certificate. Don't forget about Steam's other titles and platforms, too - they've got some good entertaining games in there!

-Greg

Based on the activity on AVSIM and products being released I would say that MSFSX is far from dead. 

Hi Ernie! 

A piece of software is said to be dead when there's no official support for it and development has been discontinued. It has nothing to do with the number of users still using the software. That's the case of FSX.

Jaime Beneyto

P3D is not an option, the don't sell it on Steam. I have the Steam Edition of FSX. I actually had the retail boxed version, and just got the Steam Edition just because I built a new machine and it was cheap and easy. I had it and loved every version, it just that I was interested in what Xplane was like. I just built a new machine 64Gb, ASUS ROG Rampage V Intel MB, 2 GTX 980's, so machine is not a problem. I have to see if I can Demo it on Steam. Since I will use a gift certificate, I'll probably do it. I'm sure I'll use both.

P3D is not an option, the don't sell it on Steam. I have the Steam Edition of FSX. I actually had the retail boxed version, and just got the Steam Edition just because I built a new machine and it was cheap and easy. I had it and loved every version, it just that I was interested in what Xplane was like. I just built a new machine 64Gb, ASUS ROG Rampage V Intel MB, 2 GTX 980's, so machine is not a problem. I have to see if I can Demo it on Steam. Since I will use a gift certificate, I'll probably do it. I'm sure I'll use both.

The FSX:SE is so cheap that you really lose nothing if you don't like it in the end.

As for X-Plane, as mentioned above, get the Demo version and try it out!

• Upvote 1

Jaime Beneyto

I would like to share my experience. I've been an FSX user for numerous years. Spent a lot of money on making the sim as it should be and thought I'll never look away.

I've bought X plane 4 months ago. Only two weeks ago was I courageous enough to give it a spin. The UI is clunky and weird, the ATC is pathetic and useless and all the stock planes look like crap. But they fly and feel great and once you experience the flight dynamics of X plane you honestly can't ignore the on rail feeling of FSX. My biggest problem with X plane is the poor ATC implementation. I'm seriously considering trying VATSIM.

What makes FSX a better candidate is the huge amount of quality addons which I use ( ORBX, PMDG, RealAir, VOXatc etc ). But even with all that I haven't been able to boot up FSX after I tried X plane because it now feels like a toy instead of a flight sim :/

ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Alpha

Intel Core i7 6700K 4.5GHz

Corsair Vengeance Black LPX 32GB

Asus STRIX GTX 1080

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD

Personally, I have a lot of sims, all happily co-existing on my pc(s). XP10, FSX:Steam, 'Boxed' FSX, Flight, DCS, Falcon BMS, Flightgear... There's no real reason why one has to limit themselves to any particular sim.

Plus, if you have a $100 gift card and you're trying to choose between FSX and XP10 on Steam, well, just wait until a sale, buy both, and have enough left over for a bunch of other games.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I recieved a $100 gift cerificate for Steam. I've had X-Plane 10 in my wish list for a while, its a bit pricey. Is different from MSFSX? Is it better? Or is my money better spent on planes for MSFSX, or something else? Any thoughts are welcome.

This is very easy, the answer is: both

You wait for a sale, FSX is $5, and X-Plane $29.99.

Still plenty of $$ left for other games or add-ons. Also if you want to try one out you can get the demos of X-Plane, then you can know if you will buy the two or just one.

Personally, I have a lot of sims, all happily co-existing on my pc(s). XP10, FSX:Steam, 'Boxed' FSX, Flight, DCS, Falcon BMS, Flightgear... There's no real reason why one has to limit themselves to any particular sim.

Plus, if you have a $100 gift card and you're trying to choose between FSX and XP10 on Steam, well, just wait until a sale, buy both, and have enough left over for a bunch of other games.

Ditto

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I think this is very recent, but FSX and a bunch of addons are on sale on Steam for "March Madness", so it's $7.49. 

I have been using Microsoft flight sims for years. After using MS flight sims for so long, I find it very difficult to use X-Plane. The views and controls are, IMO, terrible in comparison. FSX is much easier to use. That said, X-Plane is gorgeous, and it certainly runs smoother with better eye candy. Also, the flight model in X-Plane is fantastic, at least for GA aircraft. Something about airliners in X-Plane feels off to me.

I haven't picked up X-Plane yet, I base this off of the demo and a friend of mine who owns it. FSX is definitely worth it at $7.49. As others have said, if X-Plane goes on sale, there's no reason to not pick it up as well after you try the demo.  

To be clear I've had a version of FSX for years. When I put my new machine together Steam had FSX for $9.99, at that price it was easier just to add it to my Steam account. X Plane has been at $59.99 for months. But, it is found money, so to speak, and it looks really cool. I've got the 2 GTX 980's now, which is a real incentive. I need a little push is all, I'm in.

You can return games on Steam if you use them for under 2 hours.

Just buy XP10 and fly around for an hour. The differences from FSX will be pretty readily apparent and they'll either bother you or they won't. 

My biggest problem with X plane is the poor ATC implementation.

There are plug ins for sale now that allow you to use Radar Contact or PFE/PF3 with X-Plane. The place where it's still lacking is in a plug and play AI traffic program. There is one in development right now.

NAX669.png