Sign in to follow this  
Alpha Floor

Interesting Approach Plates

I recently came by these two articles:

7 Instrument Approaches You Have to See to Believe

The Approach Plate Olympics - More Crazy Charts

And there's really some interesting stuff in there

This DME arc all the way to the runway kills me!

MTN.png

The missed approach of Aspen has its own LOCALIZER!:

ASE.png

And this approach is done completely leveled to the MAP:

SUN.png

Do you have some others worth sharing? If so, please do! :)

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

This DME arc all the way to the runway kills me!

Yes, this one is very unique, other approaches I have seen countless times.

If you use something like G1000 - it can normally fly approaches with an arc very easily with A/P coupled. But the catch is that and arc is flown with GPS guidance and the final approach course must be flown with whatever is prescribed - VOR, LOC, etc. But here the whole approach including the final course is an arc- I went to see how my G1000 Garmin trainer would handle it - it turns out this particular approach is missing from its database. All other approaches at MTN are available except this one, makes actually perfect sense if you realize how a typical approach within G1000 is constructed, this approach escapes typical classification.

Thanks for sharing.

I flew an FSEconomy assignment in X-Plane yesterday into Castlegar CYCG (Canada), which has a fun altitude drop over the hill and then a turn to line up with the runway down in the valley. This was flying a Turbo Goose so it was easy, but it's a challenge for anything fast and heavy.

castlegar.jpg

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Yes, this one is very unique, other approaches I have seen countless times.

If you use something like G1000 - it can normally fly approaches with an arc very easily with A/P coupled. But the catch is that and arc is flown with GPS guidance and the final approach course must be flown with whatever is prescribed - VOR, LOC, etc. But here the whole approach including the final course is an arc- I went to see how my G1000 Garmin trainer would handle it - it turns out this particular approach is missing from its database. All other approaches at MTN are available except this one, makes actually perfect sense if you realize how a typical approach within G1000 is constructed, this approach escapes typical classification.

Thanks for sharing.

I imagine the pilot would have to manually fly the arc until crossing R-047, at which point he would see the runway and just fly in visually. The ARC all the way to touchdown is an "idealization" I believe.

Here's the up to date plate: https://skyvector.com/files/tpp/1603/pdf/05222VDTZ15.PDF

Jaime Beneyto

I imagine the pilot would have to manually fly the arc until crossing R-047, at which point he would see the runway and just fly in visually. The ARC all the way to touchdown is an "idealization" I believe.

Here's the up to date plate: https://skyvector.com/files/tpp/1603/pdf/05222VDTZ15.PDF

You'd continue flying the 14.7 DME arc and descending to 900'. Upon crossing the BAL 060 radial at or above 900', then you'd execute the missed. The MAP is ~3.3 miles from the 047 radial (ZOVAP), and with the lowest mins requiring 1 mile, still need guidance to get closer.

Remember flying this years ago during my multi- training. Losing (simulated) an engine inside the FAF, and then shooting the missed onto another arc and the hold was sporty...

7900X OC @ 4.8GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X299 Professional | 2 x EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (SLI) | 32GB G.Skill DDR4 2800

You'd continue flying the 14.7 DME arc and descending to 900'. Upon crossing the BAL 060 radial at or above 900', then you'd execute the missed. The MAP is ~3.3 miles from the 047 radial (ZOVAP), and with the lowest mins requiring 1 mile, still need guidance to get closer.

Right, that's following the chart exactly. But if you happen to see the runway by the point you descend through 1200ft, you'd fly in visually and forget about following the arc, right?

Jaime Beneyto

Right, that's following the chart exactly. But if you happen to see the runway by the point you descend through 1200ft, you'd fly in visually and forget about following the arc, right?

1200 ft has nothing to do with it. You can abandon an instrument approach and proceed visually at any point (assuming certain criteria are met). However, yes, on this approach, if I saw the airport and could proceed visually to land. I wouldn't forget about the arc, rather I'd probably be thinking about the 10 DME arc in the back of my mind. :)

Though outside of training, I'd shoot one of the other approaches (LOC/LDA/RNAV) as they all have lower mins.

7900X OC @ 4.8GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X299 Professional | 2 x EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (SLI) | 32GB G.Skill DDR4 2800

1200 ft has nothing to do with it. You can abandon an instrument approach and proceed visually at any point (assuming certain criteria are met). However, yes, on this approach, if I saw the airport and could proceed visually to land. I wouldn't forget about the arc, rather I'd probably be thinking about the 10 DME arc in the back of my mind. :)

Though outside of training, I'd shoot one of the other approaches (LOC/LDA/RNAV) as they all have lower mins.

Right, thanks!

And yeah, the 1200 was just an "example", what I meant is that say you break out of the clouds at some point before the MAP and see the field, then you'd proceed visually, if you happen to lose visual contact you'd have to fly the missed approach as by the chart. When you say "10 DME", did you mean "11", the missed approach arc?

Jaime Beneyto

I flew an FSEconomy assignment in X-Plane yesterday into Castlegar CYCG (Canada), which has a fun altitude drop over the hill and then a turn to line up with the runway down in the valley. This was flying a Turbo Goose so it was easy, but it's a challenge for anything fast and heavy.

castlegar.jpg

The fact that there is no runway number in the title of the approach should indicate to you that this is a circling approach, which means that nobody is expected to be able to line up with or descend for any particular runway with normal maneuvers directly from this approach. What you are actually supposed to do is enter a circling maneuver, a visual traffic pattern, for one of the runways upon sighting the airport.

That approach into KMTN... military jet only. That's why it's not in the G1000.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

That approach into KMTN... military jet only. That's why it's not in the G1000.

Why do you say that?

To be honest, I don't remember the 'why'... I just remember it coming up once with a training facility.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Here's one from the old Avon STOLPort near Vail, CO...

WHR_id_r28_zps50mti4ix.jpg

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

Right, thanks!

And yeah, the 1200 was just an "example", what I meant is that say you break out of the clouds at some point before the MAP and see the field, then you'd proceed visually, if you happen to lose visual contact you'd have to fly the missed approach as by the chart. When you say "10 DME", did you mean "11", the missed approach arc?

Yeah, 11.. sorry... typo... was still on my first cup of coffee. :)