Sign in to follow this  
Guest aafuss

Captain Sim C-130

Hi All, I've been reading all the remarks re: Captain Sim and especially those regarging the C-130. A couple of years ago (yes, it's been that long) it was certainly an aircraft I had on my wish list. After reading all the comments I'm not so sure now. I did own one of there first releases, the L39 Albatross for FS2002 and as I recall it was quite a nice aircraft. So instead of bashing them I'd rather ask them to re think their $50 + price point and ask them to reconsider pricing it so high. With prices that high even without the problems many have encountered with their products they seem to be simply pricing themselves out of the marketplace. Apparently they aren't keeping an eye on their competition, mainly the Wilco Publishing A400M which is the European consortium version of the C-130 and is due out at the end of the year and is already priced at $ 26 US. Unless Captain Sim comes to terms with the price/value concept in the FS marketplace for what is a niche aircraft then I will most likley opt for the A400M. Captain Sim..hope you folks are reading the forums. You need to come up with a reasonable price with a money back guarentee if you want folks to buy your products. Craig Evans

Guest panda234

money back guarantee from CS?ROFLMAObillg

billg,Perhaps if enough folks responded to Captain Sim's past problems witha positive response on how to cure their problems they might actuallylisten.If I were Captain Sim I'm not sure if I would even read the forums anymore. Ya don't kick a dead horse when it's down.How about some positive input to them in the hopes that they will indeedlisten.Become part of the solution instead of kickin the dead horse.

Guest allcott

They will argue that the price point was decided by the consumer (although proving that is not another of Captain Sim's lies and half-truths could be harder)Secondly, no reduction in price justifies the release of a substandard, bug-ridden product on the consumer unless there is real commitment to solving those bugs. In which case why charge for the public beta at all? Thirdly, it's not the pricing that's the trouble. It's the company. They haven't given any indication they're willing to fix that, any more than they ever did fix the 707. Caveat Emptor.Fourthly, the A400M is a European Consortium attempt at a replacement for the Hercules, not a version of it. The Hercules is a 50+ year old design, still useful, but becoming less relevant to the current tactical and strategic transport needs as the days go by. Even the latest C130J version is really only a cockpit upgrade and engine replacement. I don't expect the Wilco A400M to be anything like the CS Herc, who seem to have chosen to model the commonest versions, not the latest. SO the A400M will feature an almost airliner-like cockpit, with multi-screen layout in a family resemblance to the rest of the Airbus range for increased cross-commonality. By contrast, the Hercules has a cockpit that is more like the last of the `old school` piston aircraft, with extensive glazing and a multi-crew working environment.Nothing wrong with modelling an older aircraft, but I don't see the two companies competing in the same market. Especially as Wilco have a good reputation - and Captain Sim just a reputation. Allcott

Guest CWD

>Perhaps if enough folks responded to Captain Sim's past>problems with>a positive response on how to cure their problems they might>actually>listen.>If I were Captain Sim I'm not sure if I would even read the>forums >anymore. Ya don't kick a dead horse when it's down.>How about some positive input to them in the hopes that they>will indeed>listen.>Become part of the solution instead of kickin the dead horse.People have said what CS needs to do, and have been saying it for eons: Fix the bugs and flaws in their products and actually offer some customer support. It ain't that hard to see. Do they listen? No. They're in denial. In their minds, they have no problems.

Guest JTEK99

>billg,>>Perhaps if enough folks responded to Captain Sim's past>problems with>a positive response on how to cure their problems they might>actually>listen.Well,.. maybe you should be reminded that, if Captain Sim *had* a forum and actually responded positively to inquiries, they wouldn't be in this mess.Your analogy to "kicking a dead horse when it's down" is an interesting one, and I agree it's really not good etiquette to kick a dead horse. But what if the 'dead' horse keeps asking to be kicked? :)If Captain Sim's crew was smart, they'd get a forum going and start some process to recapture dissatisfied customers as well as capture new ones who might have been turned off by all the negative press.

Well I posted this note just to see if perhaps folks might approach their failure to have a forum, etc. with a little more than bashingin hopes that you might get more flies with honey than crap.Let's hope they read some of the input.

>Well I posted this note just to see if perhaps folks might>approach >their failure to have a forum, etc. with a little more than>bashing>in hopes that you might get more flies with honey than crap.>>Let's hope they read some of the input.>I suspect that honey poured over crap still tastes like...well, you know. Nobody I know would say "ooooh, but it's really SWEET...well, you know." No...it still tastes foul. OTOH, most of the people I know would take one look at it and KNOW better than to try tasting it...There will be no shortage of flies, however. The next generation of Captain Sim customers, as it were. :-) And then there'll be nothing funnier than a swarm of flies complaining about the taste of the...well, you know.1. Caveat Emptor2. Those who do not remember history are doomed to repeat it.3. There's one born every minute.CheerioBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V L-300Santiago de Chile

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Guest Ashleigh Davidson

For as long as CS have publishers such as JustShite banging on the door to publish for them, Captain Sim will not give a rats backside about online sales or support, why should they when they have fat advance cheques and a royalty every three months or whatever without the need to answer every support question ? The support in 99.9% of cases falls to the publisher, not the developer. As Publishers seem to not realy care as long as they have shelf space, all they're bothered about are numbers and if a percentage are returned so what ? It's expected and it's catered for in the calculations.A few years ago this would not have been tolerated, remember Papa Tango ? For as long as FS it's self is a buggy program, this is the get out for most of the consistent problematic developers, Captain Sim (and others) have become masters of spin and deciet, though to be a little fair, they're not the only ones.To conclude (or I'll be lecturing on the rights and wrongs forever) The online community, needs to say "no more" and boycott various outfits, perhaps then, publishers will also wake up and refuse product they today knowingly sell that is buggy and does not do what it says on the box. Should this not be the case (boycott), you only have yourselves to blame. There is only one way to hit these people and force them to wake up, that is in the pocket, this is something YOU the buyer can control.Power to the people..........!Ash

Guest allcott

Quite right Ash. You can put pretty pictures and a lovely wrapper on a sack of manure, but you have still bought a bag'o'sh*te. It's the difference between the old days and today, when customer feedback wasn't something that the developer needed to pay much heed to nless they wanted to. Now, they ignore it at their peril. Allcott

Guest SaVas

Personally I dont think a $50 price tag is outrageously high for aircraft that tend to be very detailed, and very well done. I personally cannot see where all the CaptainSim bashing is coming from, as I have all but a couple of their aircraft. Each one is a pleasure. Sure there are some mild bugs but there are few aircraft that are "bug free" when released, especially the ones that tend to have a lot put into them. Level D 767 - Had bugs, great plane thoughPMDG 737 600-700 - Had bugs and also great planePMDG 737 800/900 - Had bugs, but again...great planePMDG 744 Queen of the Skies - Great plane several bugs that are being worked on.CS 727 - Some bugs at release, a few small lingering ones that really have no bearing on my experience with itCS 707 - Again some bugs at release, addressed, and most fixed. A couple small lingering bugsPersonally I very much look forward to the C-130. It will join my fleet. Will it be bug free? Doubtful. Will they fix the bugs? Im sure they will get to as many of them as they can as fast as they can.Seriously though I like AvSim. Its a fantastic site for downloads, to see whats new...some wonderful reviews, but some people on these forums are worse than a Yahoo chatroom. I cannot say I blame any payware company for not having forums where Im pretty sure 70% of the bashing is unwarranted. Remember - anyone who reads forums whether here, or anywhere regarding any topic, complaining tends to be a small minority of the number of people who have purchased the aircraft (in the case of payware airplanes) and had no problems, and even many that do complain havent even puchased what they are complaining about. I would like to say Thanks Captain Sim. If I ever had an issue with anything Ive purchased from you, I received a prompt email within a day or two. And thanks for creating what looks like a beautiful C-130, one of my fav military aircraft. I look forward to it---Stephen "SaVas" V.

There are bugs, and then there are bugs. Comparing LDS and PMDG to Captain Sim by noting that each product had bugs at release is like comparing a person with stomach flu to a terminal colon cancer patient by noting that both "came to the doctor with an intestinal illness." The CS 727 still has flight dynamics that resemble a refrigerator with an Atlas booster attached to it. Alex Pogensky's replies to my requests for correction to the 727 FDEs was to the effect of "lots of people like our work, so it doesn't need fixing." It's clear that there really are some people that think a refrigerator with a JATO pack is acceptable 727 performance. A couple trips around the flagpole with the Captain Sim 727 in its last iteration, and a couple with the Dreamfleet 727 will resolve any doubt as to what a virtual pile of steaming doo-doo the Captain Sim FDEs are.Ditto with the Captain Sim F-104 versus the Cloud9 F-104.Harsh critique of a poorly performing and REALLY poorly supported product isn't a foul. Closing down your forum because you can't keep the natives happy with your poor product...IS.1. Caveat Emptor2. Those who do not remember history are doomed to repeat it.3. There's one born every minute.RegardsBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V L-300Santiago de Chile

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Actually, I think you probably would attract more flies with crap than honey. Bees are another story...

Guest MarkM

+ one here. I like my CS planes and satisfied with their support. Thank you Captain Sim! All the discussions about how buggy the C-130 will be look like dividing up the bearskin before the bear is shot. If someone does not want to buy the plane it's up to you, but I have my own opinion and will judje myself. I look forward the C-130 too.

Guest jennifer

"...Seriously though I like AvSim. Its a fantastic site for downloads, to see whats new...some wonderful reviews, but some people on these forums are worse than a Yahoo chatroom. I cannot say I blame any payware company for not having forums where Im pretty sure 70% of the bashing is unwarranted...."I agree. If people want a forum from a manufacturer the best way to not achieving that is to keep on using 'shite' metaphors, lighten up a bit and get a sense of perspective. These CS bashings are conducted by the same old names, over and over and over and over ad nauseum. I guess the vast majority of member of this forum groan when they see yet another subject with CS or Ariane in the title. And it's not a foul to not have a forum. There is a whole range of vastly more expensive softwre out there with no true forums, and yet people still buy the software.