Sign in to follow this  
Vantskruv

PMDG DC6, replace GNS430 please?

This aircraft addon looks really nice and I will buy it at release. Though I'm disappointed that the GNS430 is included ( if it is the integrated X-Plane version), as it is not well featured. A better way would be to implement the KLN90B, which supports SIDS/STARS (http://www.eadt.eu/index.php?kln90b). It supports datarefs and can be implemented as 3D, as it is done with Felis AN24 aircraft.

Ask for permission and DO IT!!! This will make it possible to fly SIDS/STARS online.

EDIT: Johannes Bergmark

I didn't think that the DC6 would have any equipment of this type!

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

It's a modern equipped DC-6, as has been said since the development started.  You can always turn it off :P

• Upvote 1

This aircraft addon looks really nice and I will buy it at release. Though I'm disappointed that the GNS430 is included ( if it is the integrated X-Plane version), as it is not well featured. A better way would be to implement the KLN90B, which supports SIDS/STARS (http://www.eadt.eu/index.php?kln90b). It supports datarefs and can be implemented as 3D, as it is done with Felis AN24 aircraft.

Ask for permission and DO IT!!! This will make it possible to fly SIDS/STARS online.

Full names in the forum please - first and last.

SIDs and STARs can still be flown on the 430, you just have to hand enter them. That, or just file/fly a /A procedure and do it old school. I barely even look up at the GPS except to change frequencies on it.

As has been stated: the DC-6 is meant to be a project to help us learn how to integrate what we do into X-Plane without getting into the crazy complexities of creating electronic displays, complex avionics/systems, integrating 3rd party software, and so on. As such, the default GPS is in there.

A KLN94B? They're rarer in the GA market, but they're out there (the KLN94 is more common, however). I know I have about 15.5 hours in a Skychicken with one, and another hour or so in a Scarrow with one. Most of the GA experience for me has been 430s, 530s, 750s and 1000s...and that's only where GPS was available. I've spent quite a lot of time a good amount of time in planes that didn't have GPS at all).

The aircraft we used as a study aircraft actually does have a 430 though:

http://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/1357265/1956-douglas-dc-6

We obviously had better access to it, but the Controller.com examples are easier to get to in order to show you all.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

So, name added (why?).

Anyway, adding waypoints manually for approaches is very awkard and I think this is not realistic.

If you read through my post, you should see that the complex avionics and display is already implemented in the plugin. Only thing to add is a 3D represention of the unit, and datarefs to the knobs.

I highly respect your decision on what to add or do with your addon, I just want to state that I think the KLN90B is a better choice than GNS430, as it is more feature complete. The only flaw here is if the dev of plugin accepts to interface his plugin into this aircraft (but it is highly probable as it has been done in the AN24).

So, name added (why?).

I don't see a name, and because it's a forum rule. If you're curious as to why the forum rule is in place, there are stickeyed posts at the top level and every subforum:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/245586-you-must-sign-your-full-real-name-to-posts-to-use-this-forum-posts-without-names-will-be-deleted/

Anyway, adding waypoints manually for approaches is very awkard and I think this is not realistic.

Many of the approaches are already in there. STARs, though, are a different story, and what you'd originally referred to.

If you read through my post, you should see that the complex avionics and display is already implemented in the plugin. Only thing to add is a 3D represention of the unit, and datarefs to the knobs.

I highly respect your decision on what to add or do with your addon, I just want to state that I think the KLN90B is a better choice than GNS430, as it is more feature complete. The only flaw here is if the dev of plugin accepts to interface his plugin into this aircraft (but it is highly probable as it has been done in the AN24).

There are business implications that you're ignoring here, though.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

It's their product, let them do it how they see fit. You can suggest, give ideas etc. but demanding something as in "DO IT!" seems a bit rude to me.

And +1 to Christopher: I didn't expect the DC-6 to have any modern equipments. If I buy this ship I will fly her old-school like in the 50's, should be fun!

• Upvote 1

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

It's their product, let them do it how they see fit. You can suggest, give ideas etc. but demanding something as in "DO IT!" seems a bit rude to me.

And +1 to Christopher: I didn't expect the DC-6 to have any modern equipments. If I buy this ship I will fly her old-school like in the 50's, should be fun!

I do not demand anything, please read my second post, I do respect the developers and I am sad that you think I am rude, please refrain and PM me if you still think I am. I'm just trying to discuss, as what the forums are for, misunderstandings are easy to happen. :)

I don't see a name, and because it's a forum rule. If you're curious as to why the forum rule is in place, there are stickeyed posts at the top level and every subforum:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/245586-you-must-sign-your-full-real-name-to-posts-to-use-this-forum-posts-without-names-will-be-deleted/

Many of the approaches are already in there. STARs, though, are a different story, and what you'd originally referred to.

There are business implications that you're ignoring here, though.

Thanks for answering, and your business implications I respect, even if I do not understand them. But that is another discussion, and I am really looking forward for your great aircraft, and I'm sorry I have misunderstand the naming.

Edit: Seems I cannot set my signature before 31 March in my profile settings.

• Upvote 1

In real life, you can simply refuse a SID or STAR if you don't have the ability to fly them. Or if it's not an RNAV, then fly it manually. 

I'm don't get the obsession with them by some simmers, as if every approach must have a STAR preceding it. This is a DC-6, not a 737. 

Navigate to the IAF (or via vectors) and fly the approach.

I do not demand anything, please read my second post, I do respect the developers and I am sad that you think I am rude, please refrain and PM me if you still think I am. I'm just trying to discuss, as what the forums are for, misunderstandings are easy to happen. :)

Don't worry, I understand that written text can sometimes lead to misunderstanding, you're missing the 90% of non-verbal communication! :)

• Upvote 1

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

Edit: Seems I cannot set my signature before 31 March in my profile settings.
Please type your signature on posts as you did in post #1 until you can enter it into your profile settings on March 31.