Sign in to follow this  
ARCO

Starting and closing of FSX after DX10 Fixer install

I am a new user of your excellent product. After installing the Fixer, I made one night flight with the PMDG 737 from Stockholm Arlanda X (Aerosoft) to Zurich (FSDreamTeam LSZH X). 

Whilst I had absolutely no issue with the graphic rendition of both plane and sceneries, I encountered the following problems:

1. the taxiway lights (blue and green) were not visible at LSZH (FSDreamteam)
  2. the same were flashing depending on the angle I looked at them at ESSA (Aerosoft)

Is there any known remedy that I could use please?

Unrelated but new after DX10, I am experiencing a bizarre phenomenon upon starting FSX, instead of opening the usual GUI to choose airplane, departure airport, time of departure and loading the flghtplan, FSX goes straight to my default airport (LSZH) and airplane (Cessna), and the jetways are not visible. Of course I have access to the menu and can choose whatever I want, but this is not the standard FSX opening process, is there anything I can do to rectify this please?

Finally, when selecting Exit from the main menu after the flight, FSX will freeze a Loonngg time before closing. Even though this is not a problem per se, is this normal (it was immediate with DX9)

Many thanks for any help on these issues and again congratulations for making this hobby and old FSX even more attractive.

Best regards,

Jean-Claude

Welcome Jean-Claude

For the lights at "legacy" airports you need to install "lightfields".  This process is described near the end of the Lights/Effects chapter in the manual - its something like chapter 12 or 13.  You need one for each problem airport.

On your second issue I would guess that you have somehow altered your fsx.cfg to  set SHOW_OPENING_SCREEN=0 rather than 1.  If its set to 0 then fsx will launch the flight automatically as you describe.

For me FSX closes fairly quickly, although there is a delay of about a second before it releases the screen and I can launch it again.  I don't see any DX9/DX10 difference.

Thank you Steve for your explanations, my FSX opening screen is now back.

Regarding the light effects on legacy airports, I read chapter 7 of your manual and your recommandations, but I am hesitant on how I should implement them. Since I have a good number of legacy sceneries, I refer to the end of your chapter 7 "If you have a lot of legacy airports it may make more sense to create a scenery level just to store the LightFields – they do not need to be in the airport scenery itself it is sufficient if they are in a scenery level above it."

If I understand this correctly, I should create (or copy yours) a bgl file that would contain your own airport fields bgl in my FSX scenery folder (addon scenery folder I assume) and load it in FSX immediately below AES in my scenery priorities (AES having to remain at the top), is this correct? 

It means that all my airport add-ons regardless whether they are legacy or not would be below that level, or do I have to segregate my add-ons in two categories putting this file above legacy airports only, leaving more recent releases above? 

Thank you to please clarify.

With thanks and best regards,

I really didn't mean to cause a complication here  - it was only a passing comment. 

For most people by far the simplest method is just to unpack the zip file, find the 10-20 or so BGLs of interest and copy each one into the respective legacy airport where a problem is observed.

All I was saying is that if you felt for some reason that  was a little untidy  and you were familiar with creating a scenery area (click on white space etc) you could create a scenery area somewhere above the 10-20 airports and copy the 10-20  BGLs into it. 

There is no advantage in doing so  other than a perception of tidiness and its not something I would bother to do myself  but if you did then it would work.