Sign in to follow this  
Clutch Cargo

Running P3Dv3 at 30Hz. - any damage?

After reading the "umpteen" threads on micro-stutters, I wanted to see if I could improve on my own.  I just discovered my three 27" have the capability to run at 30Hz. so I have been testing the 30/30 scenario (30FPS at 30Hz), and I must say it is about as smooth as I think I can get P3D at this time with my set up.  Question is do you guys who run it at 30, do you revert back to 60Hz when you are done flying?  Any residual effects that you have noticed running your displays at 30Hz 24/7?

Clutch

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

I don't revert back when done but the computer is only setup for flight simming. I have a second computer that does all the other daily tasks.

I'm not into the FPS or RPG games lots of people play that require high a refresh rate.

I haven't seen any effects caused by running at 30hz. My monitor though is approved by the mfg to run at 30hz in 4K.

Sean Green

I was also curious about the 30FPS at 30Hz. Read here that my U3415 display supports 30Hz thru HDMI and I was, at the reading time, connected via DisplayPort. So, I bought a HDMI cable, set my DELL to 30 Hz, set P3D at 30 fps (it was already) + Vsync ON + Triple Buffer ON and... see no difference with 60 Hz and P3D frame limiter to 30 fps.

Back to your question. When out of Prepar3D on my Windows desktop with other apps, I felt my mouse cursor moved differently and that disturbed me quite a lot. So, back to DisplayPort connection, 60 Hz, VSYNC OFF, Triple Buffer OFF and P3D Frame Limiter to 30 fps.

Furthermore, the shimering on my Carenado/Alabeo/General Aviation cockpit/gauges was stronger and annoying when connected via HDMI @30Mz than with DisplayPort plug.

Vincent B.

Check my MSFS sceneries : https://flightsim.to/profile/vbazillio

Best bet would be to check with your manufacturer. As long as they state that it supports 30hz then you're fine.

If not it would be taking a risk just as with overclocking.

I tried it with my 9 year old Dell 24 inch and I feel that the slight improvement in smoothness is not worth the risk and more importantly the increased "motion blur" effect with 30hz.

I have a BenQ BL3201PH running 3840 x 2160 and runs it at 30hz for P3D. I revert back to 60hz for FSX.

I found a small utility : HRC Hotkey Resolution Changer v2.1 that does the trick of changing back and forth.

Pierre

Pierre

I ve been running 30 / 30 for month now , but now am running 27/27 absolutely no problem what so ever , very smooth , fps are lock in sim and NI ,

i have noticed that some aircrafts, have to be in sim FPS at unlimited , and others 30 or in my case 27 , NO mouse lag

You'll definitely want to go back to 60+ when doing anything else... its a jerky mess in the desktop.

Personally, I didn't see the advantage on my system, and the motion blur drove me nuts. So, back at 60hz, 30fps lock, no v sync and use Fiber frame time at .01. This gives the best results for me.

Interesting, as so far I see no issues like motion blur in general.  I did notice in 3D cockpit the info text on the top left of the display (FPS, altitude, etc.), did become blurred.  I do think I am seeing more shimmer than before so will have to perform more tests.  30/30 may fix some issues but may introduce some as well.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

It will depend on the monitor being used ... 30Hz is fine for desktop with the right monitor ... I code 14 hour days on a 4K monitor at 30hz.  I'm partial to Sony.

Cheers, Rob.

It will depend on the monitor being used ... 30Hz is fine for desktop with the right monitor ... I code 14 hour days on a 4K monitor at 30hz.  I'm partial to Sony.

Cheers, Rob.

Morse code - beep beep   beep   beep beep  beep   :Tounge:

Rich Sennett

I also went for the 30hz + VSYNC + TB + Unlimited. I have a DELL U3415W 3440x1440 display, connected to 2xGTX980 in SLi via DisplayPort. The sim is extremely smooth, and with autogen set to a reasonable level (Normal), I´m able to take off from EGLL (Aerosoft), blast over the atlantic at Mach 2.02, and land at KFJK (fsdt) reasonably smooth. 

There are two things that (still) irritates me: 

1. Panning in VC: Sometimes laggy, although FPS @ 30, GPU @ 40% and the main tread CPU @ 80ish %. Maybe a EZDok thing, I´m not sure. 

2. Mouse "lag": I found that reducing the mouse DPI (Logitech G502) tends to smooth out some of what feels like input lag @30Hz. The mouse lag is something you barely notice after a while, although it can be quite irritating at first (when you concentrate at it).. Juggling the mouse speed and acceleration in Windows control panel did not make it any better, only the adjustment of DPI in the Logitech Control Panel/Driver did the trick. Not all mice are capable of this, but I think a low end mouse probably has a low DPI number to begin with, and wouldn't necessarily require adjustment. 

I also went for the 30hz + VSYNC + TB + Unlimited. I have a DELL U3415W 3440x1440 display, connected to 2xGTX980 in SLi via DisplayPort. 

Interesting. Is there a specific trick to set the U3415W @30Hz via DisplayPort ? The only way I succeed in setting it @30Mz via nvidia was via HDMI (and then sees more shimering).

Vincent B.

Interesting. Is there a specific trick to set the U3415W @30Hz via DisplayPort ? The only way I succeed in setting it @30Mz via nvidia was via HDMI (and then sees more shimering).

You would need to check the monitor docs. My monitor is only a couple months old so it is recommended to run all on resolutions and refresh rates on the DisplayPort for best performance.

DisplayPort 1.2 from what I read is the best to use for everything.

Sean Green

You would need to check the monitor docs. My monitor is only a couple months old so it is recommended to run all on resolutions and refresh rates on the DisplayPort for best performance.

DisplayPort 1.2 from what I read is the best to use for everything.

Mine was bring by Santa Claus. Should be as old as yours ;-) Unfortunetly, I don't know out to set it to 30Mz when plugged via (Mini)DisplayPort. DP 1.2 is ON. The 30Mz is not available in the selection list via Windows or nVidia driver. What am I doing wrong ? Does the screen behaves differently when plug in miniDisplayPort or DisplayPort ?

Vincent B.