Sign in to follow this  
Steve Dra

If you could only choose one....

Not sure if we've ever explored this scenario before, but I was curious if you could only choose either the 737 or the 777 to own and fly in flightsim, which would it be and why?

I'm not looking for which you think is reproduced more accurately, what, if  any flaws may be within each (or either, or neither, hehe)....just want to know the some of the reasons, similar to what I'm posting below.

First, my choice: The 777.

Reasons:

• It is my favorite real world aircraft.  I love the story of its creation, how innovative the manufacturing process was, The risk they took to build it, how it's led to a whole new category of aircraft (large, long range twin engine aircraft), how its driving engine technology, etc.
  • I enjoy planning (not necessarily flying....more on that in a bit) long range missions, especially cargo hauling into remote, off the beaten path destinations.  (I've painted enough freighters that keep me busy with that, LOL)
  • I also like the fact that with the 777, you can fly very long range, or short and medium range if you desire...something you can't necessarily do with the 737 (on a non-stop flight of course with distances the 777 can handle with ease).
  • I love the size and dimensions and overall look of the 777.  Not that the 737 is diminutive or ugly in any way, but face it, when spotting at a major airport (like LAX, JFK, DFW, etc), I hardly look up when a 737 goes by, but a 777, esp. with that unique GE growl, causes everyone to look up!   Seeing a 77W full of pax and fuel lifting off LAX's 24 or 25, watching those wingtips flex up above the fuse is just so impressive!
  • Within the sim, call me crazy, but I feel different when in a "Boeing Brown" cockpit vs the 737 (and sadly the 787) sterile gray environment.  That brown somehow screams Boeing to me, and I know I'm in a Boeing...I know, crazy.
  • One of the best features of the PMDG 777 in my opinion is auto time compression.  As I mentioned above, when I plan a 10, 12, 14 hour flight, I have no intention of sitting there the entire time, and don't wish to tie up my simulator the entire time flying over 100s of miles of empty ocean.  I know some purists here have very strong opinions about this, but please respect my choice of how I fly my sim and move on if you are posting here just to tell me how unrealistic that choice is.  :smile:   I completely  understand this is not possible (or at least frowned upon) when flying online, and I'd not use the feature in that situation, so if you only fly online, then I'd imagine you've never used this cool feature. Regardless, I think its one of the most innovative and useful features ever implemented on a flight sim aircraft, period!

Let's hear from you guys (and gals) about your choice and some insightful background for that choice.  :smile:

I'm fortunate enough to be able to afford both aircraft (in 2 sims no less), but maybe someone who can only afford one will see the comments here and it will help them decide which to choose if they can only afford one of these great birds.

Of the 2, I do fly the 777 more, not in necessarily in total hours, but in the number of flights as well.  I've taken her on many "re-positioning" missions less than 3 hours flight time, and it's always a blast (literally...when you're flying her light). 

• Upvote 3

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

777 i'm biased. Having said that I don't own the 737, been told its very good.

spacer.png

MSI Codex 5 10SC-262UK Desktop PC - Intel Core i7-10700, RTX 2060 Graphics, 16GB RAM, 2TB HDD, 256GB SSD.

737 - You can do flights long enough to bore you to tears whilst still being able to access airports that the 777 can't possibly consider.  

Also, much as I love playing with the 777's extensive automation, it all feels a bit too much like a video game within a video game, and whilst you *can* hand fly it, you know that it's just begging for you to put it back on Autopilot and it will do so much better a job than you will, whereas the 737 are much less sophisticated and (particularly the smaller variants) keep you much closer to the operation and are great fun to haul around by hand.  For the same reason, I'd take the Q400 over either of them if it was a three way choice.

• Upvote 1

737 - still very oldschool and you can land that thing anywhere. The 777 is a hub to hub carrier.

You can get the 777 into some pretty gnarly places haha.

Yeah, I just flew my UAL B77L on the real world B772 route KORD-PHOG-KORD.... I never expected to find T7s at Maui's 7000 ft runway.

Dan Downs KCRP

One of the best features of the PMDG 777 in my opinion is auto time compression.  
Can you do that with real world weather, as in with ASN?  On to your question.  If I must choose one it would be the 777 because of the mix of cargo and pax.  Plus it's a beautiful plane with a round nose.  The 737 pointy nose is a feature that I am not fond of.  I own both model from PMDG.  I love the automation of the 777, which reminds me much of the MD-11.  I don't find flying pax appealing these days, more cargo flying, where I can just pretend short hop.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

The 777. I enjoy flying the NGX but the 777 simulation exudes class, has everything and it all works together beautifully.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Really interesting thread!

I just own the 777 so I don't have to make the choice. I'm really happy with the 777 and I don't know whether I prefer it over the 737. This was the last time I flew a 737, really fun!

Now the 737 is really like a "big Cessna" if you will. You can hand-fly her pretty much like you hand-fly a 172 and use your "Stick & Rudder" skills. In this regard I think I prefer the 737 over the 777. Please don't get me wrong here, I know someone will quote me and say "of course you still need your Stick&Rudder skills on the 777 and blablabla", it's just a manner of speaking and pointing out that the 777 is FBW while the 737 is not.

The 737 can also be flown into short runways. This is something of a big limitation when flying the 777. I'm really looking for interesting approaches to fly with the 777 because I don't really care about the standard ILS anymore.

The 777 requires a lot more "planning" work. While on the 737 you can just hop into the cockpit and fly, on the 777 you have to make sure your fuel is ok, your weights are ok, the runway length is okay, your predicted landing weight is ok and so on. This is something that once I know how to do don't like having to do it again. My time is limited and I'd much rather be flying than "dispatching" the flight. In RL 777 pilots have it done for them anyway.

Now, having said that, I totally agree with some points made by Steve:

It is my favorite real world aircraft. I love the story of its creation, how innovative the manufacturing process was, The risk they took to build it, how it's led to a whole new category of aircraft (large, long range twin engine aircraft), how its driving engine technology, etc.

While the 777 is not my favorite aircraft (it's the 757), I did really like its development history. Have you read the book "21st Century Jet" by Karl Sabbagh? There's also a documentary series, highly recommended! If you didn't know these now you'll have something to watch during your next cruise.

Within the sim, call me crazy, but I feel different when in a "Boeing Brown" cockpit vs the 737 (and sadly the 787) sterile gray environment. That brown somehow screams Boeing to me, and I know I'm in a Boeing...I know, crazy.

Definitely agree with you here. I love the "Boeing Brown". It's a strange feeling, this brown feels more like a "Boeing" yet their "blueish/greyish" color has been historically the norm (707, 727, 737, 747-100). They introduced this brown with the 75/76 in the early 80's. In any case, it reminds me I'm in a Boeing and not a boring Airbus (no offence to Airbus lovers)

Generally speaking the 777 is a "SHIP" or a Mercedes S-Class that's designed to cruise on the highway and eat up mile after mile while the 737 is "big Cessna". That's how I would put it.

Finally, I've heard that the 777 performs better than the 737 in FSX. That's important for me given that I usually get into the low 20's FPS with the 777 and wouldn't like dropping below 20 on the 737.

the 777 simulation exudes class

Exactly what I meant! It's classy like an S-Class!

Care to share some examples please? I'm gathering ideas!

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

I'm surprised the overwhelming vote is for the 777.  From what I can tell, PMDG developed an amazing rendition of the 777.  I love the automation, checklists, and other features I see included.  My issue is with long hauls.  I just can't see how anyone would have the time or desire to fly 5+ hours in a sim.  Time compression is a ruination of the simming experience too.

Now, despite real world pilots often disliking the 737 for a variety of reasons, I like the 737.  I think the NGX has cool cockpit and the exterior is nice looking to me.  It's also a huge bonus that 1 to 2 hour flights are plentiful.  I think it's the perfect mix of real flying and automation.   

I'll likely buy the 747 since I liked the old version, but I'm hoping to find some decent short flights.  I don't see any with the 777.  Maybe one a day, cargo.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

I just can't see how anyone would have the time or desire to fly 5+ hours in a sim.  Time compression is a ruination of the simming experience too.

Hey Chris, agree with you about the sitting for an extended time, hence the value of the auto time compression to me.  When you have more years behind you than in front of you, you tend to prioritize your time spent simming a little more. :smile:   

When I give Otto the controls out over the Pacific and engage auto time compression, I rationalize that I'm just going for some crew rest on board, as its done in real life on long flights.  I just see it as a bonus if I come back an hour later and 4 hours have gone by.  

The beauty of the feature is that it goes to no compression when the aircraft encounters a turn or weather that bounces you around so it doesn't go out of control.  So to answer Vu's question, yes you can use it with ASN, but if you're going to encounter weather while you're away, don't expect it to be later in the flight as the time spent bouncing around is done a 1x.

But, you'd normally get the forecast and if you anticipate your flightpath will take you through rough weather, you should plan on being in the cockpit during that time anyway, right?  :wink:

If I'm really going for some crew rest on a long fight (i.e. going to bed and finishing the flight in the morning), I'll leave time compression off as (hopefully) 6-8 hours will elapse and I should be close to my destination by then.

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

I love the 777, in fact I am flying it now. But the truth of the matter is, I fly 5 NGX flights to each 1 777 flight. I would be missing the NGX much more then the 777 if I had to lose it. But in the end, this is kind of a silly question, as this is not an apples to apples comparison. Just saying.

Brian A. Neuman

Proud simmer since 1982 using the following simulators: Sublogic Flight Simulator 1 and 2. Microsoft Flight Simulator 4.0, 5.1, FS95, FS98, FS2000, FS2002, FS2004, FSX (and unfortunately Flight!). Terminal Reality Fly 1 and 2. Sierra Pro Pilot, Looking Glass/Eidos/Electronic Arts Flight Unlimited I, II and III, Laminar Research X-Plane 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11, FS Aerofly 2, Lockheed Martin Perpar3D 2.X, 3.X, 4.X and 5.X and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020). Not to mention numerous combat simulators and games related to flight that I have played with over the years.

System: Intel I7-7700K-Water Cooled, 32GB Ram, GTX 1080Ti, 500gb SSD, 1TB HD and dedicated 1TB and 2TB SSD's for Flight Simulators

737.  Greater variety of flights and length of flights.  More to do on the flight deck.  I have both and probably fly both about the same amount but the NG is my preference.  I think a better question would be..."You can only have aircraft 1 addon, period.  Which one do you choose".  I would probably go with ConcordeX....that thing will keep you busy for days.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

But in the end, this is kind of a silly question, as this is not an apples to apples comparison. Just saying.

Hey Brian,

Silly question if you can afford and/or already have both, but for the simmer who can only afford one of these great birds, our input might be the info they need to make that decision. :wink:   This is not an apples to oranges exploration, its a pennys to dollars to spend, hehe.

Hey Mark, I kept it to these 2 birds as we're in PMDG's house.  :smile:   I never owned the Concorde, but I would be open to all the criticism you guys could muster about using time compression if I admitted that I used it on that bird. :LMAO:  

Regards,
Steve Dra

9Slp0L.jpg 

Steve,

Pont conceded about dollars. If we are looking at that alone, I'd take the NGX as I said due to the sheer volume of flights I do. Generally under 2 hours. I need my NGX.

Brian A. Neuman

Proud simmer since 1982 using the following simulators: Sublogic Flight Simulator 1 and 2. Microsoft Flight Simulator 4.0, 5.1, FS95, FS98, FS2000, FS2002, FS2004, FSX (and unfortunately Flight!). Terminal Reality Fly 1 and 2. Sierra Pro Pilot, Looking Glass/Eidos/Electronic Arts Flight Unlimited I, II and III, Laminar Research X-Plane 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11, FS Aerofly 2, Lockheed Martin Perpar3D 2.X, 3.X, 4.X and 5.X and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020). Not to mention numerous combat simulators and games related to flight that I have played with over the years.

System: Intel I7-7700K-Water Cooled, 32GB Ram, GTX 1080Ti, 500gb SSD, 1TB HD and dedicated 1TB and 2TB SSD's for Flight Simulators