Sign in to follow this  
Frost15

Trouble Understanding VATSIM controllers

Here's the situation...

1. I get in a plane.

2. I log onto VATSIM.

3. I contact the controller with whatever.

4. Uhhh... could you repeat please?

As visible on step four, I can't understand the controller. Not in the sense that I don't know ATC protocol, It's that the audio quality is often times so poor that I get discouraged, knowing I'll have problems and just log off. I use vPilot and FSX-SE, and so far I can't find any helpful audio settings. This is truly the only factor keeping me from flying more VATSIM, as I simply can't function in the server when I have to ask to repeat so many times, and it really gets embarrassing for me, and I'm sure it's annoying to the controller. Is there any sort of specific way you guys pick apart poor audio broadcasts? Is there a special audio setting you utilize for the best performance?

Basically, how do you tackle poor audio from your controller?

Have you enabled VHF simulation? Have you configured your sound settings properly? not over modulated?

I have troubles with a very few amount controllers not having there mics set at a proper distance (why does everyone think you need to swallow the mic?) But not to the extent you seem to be having, Maybe 1 in a 100.

Clarke Kruger - CYEG 

Understanding controllers in real life is hard.

It takes hours for a new pilot to get the hang of catching things the first time. It's going to sound like Chinese for a while.

Try to split the voice and Flightsim Sound channel. I have the simulator via the speakers and vpilot via my headphones. helps a lot!

• Upvote 1

Regards,
Chris Volle

i7700k @ 4,7, 32gb ram, Win10, MSI GTX1070.

All good suggestions.  As a controller and pilot I find that I can understand the controller 99% of the time but I also am anticipating what they will say so that helps.  As a controller I find the experienced pilots seems to never have an issue and the new guys need me to repeat things over and over.  Having said all of this you have a real problem with your setup and need to adjust your configuration.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

A good method to train your ear to non-AI ATC controllers is one of the many ATC videos on Youtube, e.g. about Boston John or Kennedy Steve. Most of them are subtitled to facilitate comprehension.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

As mentioned - familiarity with what's expected - helps a great deal...

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Guest Mik75

As s virtual pilot who flies on both networks, I have to say, that the readability on IVAO is better than on VATSIM. The audio quality on Teamspeak is just better than what I get with vPilot's audio.

One gets used to it for sure, and all that's been already said above is true, but I personally still like the Teamspeak approach a little better!

As s virtual pilot who flies on both networks, I have to say, that the readability on IVAO is better than on VATSIM. The audio quality on Teamspeak is just better than what I get with vPilot's audio.

One gets used to it for sure, and all that's been already said above is true, but I personally still like the Teamspeak approach a little better!

I find part of the charm is that it is difficult to hear.  When I listend to LiveATC.net it is not crystal clear either.  I think Vatsim voice quality is very similar.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Try to split the voice and Flightsim Sound channel. I have the simulator via the speakers and vpilot via my headphones. helps a lot!

Not to hijack the thread, but if you have the time and inclination could you drop me a PM explaining how to do this?  I've tried with no success.

Thanks,

Ernie

Ernest Pergrem

I find part of the charm is that it is difficult to hear.  When I listend to LiveATC.net it is not crystal clear either.  I think Vatsim voice quality is very similar.

LiveATC relies on antennas posted at people's houses and various buildings sometimes miles away from an airport, so you do not get the same quality as if you were actually in an airplane with line of sight to the controller's antennas. The quality of LiveATC is dependent on where the airplane or airport is in relation to where LiveATC was able to setup a listening feed. Everyone should donate to LiveATC to help get more stations and better equipment! usually the only time getting good reception is difficult in real life is when you are outside of radar coverage and using HF.

LiveATC relies on antennas posted at people's houses and various buildings sometimes miles away from an airport, so you do not get the same quality as if you were actually in an airplane with line of sight to the controller's antennas. The quality of LiveATC is dependent on where the airplane or airport is in relation to where LiveATC was able to setup a listening feed.

+1 to that, what you hear on LiveATC is no where near the quality of how it is on either the pilot or ATC end. I've seen so many comment's here as well as spotting forums about this. Even with a scanner right at the airport it's not up to the same quality.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

+1 to that, what you hear on LiveATC is no where near the quality of how it is on either the pilot or ATC end. I've seen so many comment's here as well as spotting forums about this. Even with a scanner right at the airport it's not up to the same quality.

What about YouTube videos where pilots patch into their comms channel.  Quality is good but not perfect.  Here is a good example.....also great video.

Mark W   CYYZ      

It's been years since I flew a 172, but I seem to recall that even then it wasn't always easy to understand the controller.  It took some time and practice to get comfortable with communicating. 

The issues I encounter with VATSIM are similar to those I remember as a rw pilot.

Ernest Pergrem

That is a cool video but not a great example of the audio. A fair bit of interference and hissing that probably isn't heard by the pilots or ATC. Aircraft and equipment can play a huge role as well.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS