Sign in to follow this  
Harold_Finch

Hello from an Old Dog

Hello everyone.

Although my user name is Harold Finch, my real name is Bill North,    My user name was already taken by a previous member, so I thought - heck why not Harold Finch as my handle.   Well enough of that.

My love of aviation started as a child, my dad had a PPL and I flew frequently with him during my youth.  I couldn't wait to be old enough to get my license.  When I graduated high school my dad offered to buy me a car, but I asked for flight school instead and bought myself an old jalopy to get around in, LOL.  When I was in college I joined the USAF under the deferred entrance plan and started active duty a month after graduation.  I was hoping to be a fighter pilot but they convinced me to volunteer for the Medical Evacuation service where I flew C118's first and then C-130's for two tours in Vietnam.  When I completed 8 years of active duty I returned to school where I received my Masters in Electrical Engineering and flew a desk for a large Medical imaging manufacturer until I retired.   Flying was still in my blood so I continued to fly GA until my eyesight got poor.  

I have been flying sims on and off since the Sub Logic days, but my gear and software had been put in storage since 2004 or so.   One of my other hobbies is playing guitar and I started selling off some of my excess gear and when I was looking for an accessory for a potential sale I came across my box of flight sim gear.   Well, since I retired I have plenty of time on my hands so I thought, heck, why not. 

Which led me back here.   I was a member back in the day, but have long forgotten my user name and old email account, so Harold Finch came to be. 

So Hello again, fellow virtual aviators of all types and stripes.    Talk with you all soon.

I9 12900K @5.2Ghz  64 GB DDR4, RTX 4090, Win 11 Pro, 15 TB on 5 SSD's

Hi Bill,

Welcome back aboard - sounds like you've led an interesting life... What did you fly in GA ???

I'm x-Navy and had planned on Naval Aviation - but - wound up on Submarines - so I know how that goes...

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

I progressed through the tail-draggers of the early post war era as most pilots of my age did.   When I was good enough my father would lend me his Beechcraft Model 50.  I saved up and bought a Piper PA-30 which I maintained until my father passed, and I sold the Piper and flew the Beechcraft Twin.  My son now owns the plane and keeps it in Az which is a nice place for it to retire.

Now I just fly SIMs...    Mostly Boeing Tube liners.... but I like to fly them by hand - old habits die hard, I have to admit that LNAV and VNAV sure come in handy to grab a cup of Joe or hit the head, though.

Hello again Bill... I believe you and I have crossed each other's path once or twice in the old days.

Welcome back.

• Upvote 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Thanks Dave.   Yes I think I remember you as well.

Welcome back, and thanks for your service. When I think "Vietnam" and "C-130" I have an image in my head of guys doing touch-and-go gear drops at firebases off the back deck of the aircraft. That was touchy work, and probably not very safe. Hope that wasn't you, and if it was, that you came through ok.

BasementFlyGuy

GA home cockpit running X-Plane 11 (and sometimes P3D)

Blog: www.ontheglideslope.net

YouTube: OnTheGlideslope Channel

Facebook: On The Glideslope