Sign in to follow this  
gad11

Differences between the 777 and 737?

Hello all!

Been enjoying the heck out of the 777 and was thinking about picking up the 737 as well. Are there many major differences between how they operate? I imagine they use the same FMC? Obviously I expect they won't be exactly the same but curious what the learning curve will be.

Thanks!

I imagine they use the same FMC?

No, they don't. They're similar in a lot of ways, of course, but they differ noticeably.

Generally speaking the 777 is much more automated than the 737 is. For instance you have the electronic checklists and the whole EICAS system on the 777, that you don't have on the 737.

Like the introduction manual by PMDG says, the 777 is not a 737 on steroids. They're different aircraft that operate differently.

I imagine they use the same FMC?
I have to disagree with GolfSierra. While there is some difference between the FMC in the NGX and the T7, they are still Boeing FMCs and at there core are very similar. I learned the FMC flying 757s and 767s and transitioned to the 747-400, NGX, and T7 with hardly any problem at all. Any questions,  just go to the last third of FCOM2 and there is the answer.

Good info. Thanks Michael!
I think you would get a lot more information if you Googled  "difference between NGX and 777 fmc". I just did and there are a lot of hits on this subject.

I have to disagree with GolfSierra. While there is some difference between the FMC in the NGX and the T7, they are still Boeing FMCs and at there core are very similar.

How is that a disagreement? I feel like that's exactly what I said... :wink:

@ gad11:

Obviously both aircraft are Boeings and their operation follows basic Boeing procedures. So the transition between the 777 and the 737 NGX should be very doable for you, but there's 

definitely going to be a learning curve. I reckon, with the right amount of training, you'll enjoy the NGX as much as the 777.

Hey Gord,

One thing I had to really adjust to when I went from the 777 to 737 is the systems management.  Neither good or bad in my opinion, just different.  In the 737, you'll have to manage the engine starts, packs, cabin pressure, etc where on the 777 its all pretty much done for you.  You'll also have to listen to those elevator trim wheels....a noise I certainly don't miss in the 777 cockpit!  :smile:

Another thing I really enjoy about the 777 is the flightdeck lighting...much more pleasant to do a night flight in the big girl in my opinion. (for those who never pushed the middle button on the Master Lighting knob or don't know how it works are in for a treat)  :Big Grin:

Any modern Boeing you learn in will give you more than enough knowledge to get started on the next type, if you're looking for a change from the 777, the 737, PMDG's specifically, is a great choice.

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Is the 777 more 'fly by wire' a bit like the airbus. Electronic inputs into a computer, which it turn controls the surfaces? Rather that just hydraulic control of the wing surfaces?