Sign in to follow this  
RioPilot

Problems with PMDG 737 with Prepar3d v3

I decided to finally invest in this product, as I have been eyeing it for a while. I have no regrets, but a few frustrations at the moment.

First and foremost, my main concern are crash to desktops that have started occurring since I installed the PMDG 737 for Prepar3d v3... and I do want to be clear that these CTDs have only been starting since I installed the aircraft.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but still have the same issue. The aircraft itself seems to work fine (looks very nice by the way), and I did some short circuits around the airport. However, the CTDs seem to occur primarily when I try to switch from one PMDG aircraft to another. It also seemed to happen one time when I crashed the aircraft into the ground. I do believe seeing at least one "fatal error" message box.

My second issue is with my joystick assignments, specifically in regard to the autopilot master on/off switch and the small dial I use as elevator trim. The button on my joystick that I have assigned to the autopilot master switch only seems to work when it comes to disengaging the autopilot, but not for engaging. What's weird is that hitting the "Z" key seems to be able to do both just fine.

Secondly, the dial I have used to adjust elevator trim seems to result in little to no input to the trim wheel in the VC. All the avionics are running too, it's not cold and dark. Granted, this may have to do with my ignorance on the actual 737's systems... maybe I need to flick a "trim" switch somewhere.

Anyways, any input on this would be greatly appreciated!

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but still have the same issue. The aircraft itself seems to work fine (looks very nice by the way), and I did some short circuits around the airport. However, the CTDs seem to occur primarily when I try to switch from one PMDG aircraft to another. It also seemed to happen one time when I crashed the aircraft into the ground. I do believe seeing at least one "fatal error" message box.

Read the introduction documentation

My second issue is with my joystick assignments, specifically in regard to the autopilot master on/off switch and the small dial I use as elevator trim. The button on my joystick that I have assigned to the autopilot master switch only seems to work when it comes to disengaging the autopilot, but not for disengaging. What's weird is that hitting the "Z" key seems to be able to do both just fine.

How are you assigning the joystick controls? FSX or FSUIPC? What is the key combination assigned to disengaging the autopilot in the FMC?

Secondly, the dial I have used to adjust elevator trim seems to result in little to no input to the trim wheel in the VC. All the avionics are running too, it's not cold and dark. Granted, this may have to do with my ignorance on the actual 737's systems... maybe I need to flick a "trim" switch somewhere.

Hydraulics on?

Neither extracting the UIAutomationCore.dll to the Prepar3d folder nor adding AlwaysFullLoad=1 to the Prepar3d config file seemed to resolve the issue. I still get fatal error pop up boxes when I attempt to switch aircraft.

As to your second question, I assigned joystick controls through Prepar3d. As far as I can tell, I have installed FSUIPC, but I'm not exactly sure how to open it and make control adjustments to be perfectly honest with you.

I will check the FMC and hydraulics tomorrow.

Neither extracting the UIAutomationCore.dll to the Prepar3d folder nor adding AlwaysFullLoad=1 to the Prepar3d config file seemed to resolve the issue. I still get fatal error pop up boxes when I attempt to switch aircraft.

The intro document says that you cannot switch from PMDG aircraft to another. You can only go from default aircraft to PMDG. You must restart the sim to switch to another PMDG aircraft.

As to your second question, I assigned joystick controls through Prepar3d. As far as I can tell, I have installed FSUIPC, but I'm not exactly sure how to open it and make control adjustments to be perfectly honest with you.

I believe that you can only disengage the 737 autopilot, you cannot engage it that way. You need to assign the Z key to your joystick button.

Read through the PMDG and FSUIPC manuals if you do not know how to do these things. It's all explained there.

Full names are required in the forums.

What's weird is that hitting the "Z" key seems to be able to do both just fine
That is the way it is meant to work.

As Chris mentioned. Please read the intro manual. It goes into specifics about things to avoid. One of those is re-loading the aircraft. This is particularly so because of some of the changes in P3D. After crashing the aircraft re-loads, of course. Turn crashes off. They're unrealistic anyway.

My second issue is with my joystick assignments, specifically in regard to the autopilot master on/off switch and the small dial I use as elevator trim. The button on my joystick that I have assigned to the autopilot master switch only seems to work when it comes to disengaging the autopilot, but not for engaging. What's weird is that hitting the "Z" key seems to be able to do both just fine.

Check that you're using a button command assigned in PMDG SETUP > KEY COMMANDS. Greater detail in the intro manual.

Use a trim up/down command instead. The dial is going to cause issues with the autopilot later on if you don't zero the trim wheel out prior to engaging the AP. 

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks for the input all.

I didn't mean to give off the impression that I'm one of those people's who throws aside the documentation and starts complaining about things :smile:

I still could not find any mention of the "aircraft select" causing a fatal error, but I take your word for it. As long as it's a known issue, it does not bother me much, as it has not happened when I try to switch over to a default aircraft.

My issue with FSUIPC is that I actually didn't purchase the full key. Once I did so, I was able to assign an autopilot command just fine. I also corrected my trim issue.

To one of the posters above, I don't really like to disable crash detection. Yes, it's unrealistic, but it's pretty much the only way I can differentiate between a landing and a crash landing (especially since I use these planes in conjunction with FSPassengers).

Any future posts I make on here I will be sure to include my full name in the signature. Thanks.

I still could not find any mention of the "aircraft select" causing a fatal error, but I take your word for it. As long as it's a known issue, it does not bother me much, as it has not happened when I try to switch over to a default aircraft.

Should be in the first 25 pages or so. Either way, instead of trying to find a specific mention of something, it's best to just read through the document. Based on your posts so far, you'll find a lot of the information helpful.

To one of the posters above, I don't really like to disable crash detection. Yes, it's unrealistic, but it's pretty much the only way I can differentiate between a landing and a crash landing (especially since I use these planes in conjunction with FSPassengers).

That's not actually true. The sim doesn't provide a realistic crash tolerance or mechanic. Ever play a video game where your character dies as soon as it hits water? That's the level of realism here...

Kyle Rodgers