Sign in to follow this  
Driver170

Parallel entry procedure different to how it should be flown!

It says -

1.3.4 Start of outbound timing

Outbound timing begins over or abeam the fix, whichever occurs later. If the abeam position cannot be determined, start timing when the turn to outbound is completed.

Whichever occurs later? Should it not be whatever is earlier? Sorry if i'm missing the obvious but i can't see why later...

Vernon Howells

Whichever occurs later? Should it not be whatever is earlier? Sorry if i'm missing the obvious but i can't see why later...

It's honestly just poorly written. Leave it to ICAO...

Basically, abeam a fix means you're on a parallel course, directly perpendicular to the fix. Over, of course, means over. For the hold entry, you're going to begin timing when you cross over the fix for your outbound timing, but when you're established in the hold, you use the abeam point. Basically, they took a pretty simple concept and made it much more complex than it needed to be.

Kyle Rodgers

It's honestly just poorly written. Leave it to ICAO...

Basically, abeam a fix means you're on a parallel course, directly perpendicular to the fix. Over, of course, means over. For the hold entry, you're going to begin timing when you cross over the fix for your outbound timing, but when you're established in the hold, you use the abeam point. Basically, they took a pretty simple concept and made it much more complex than it needed to be.

Its from ICAO DOC 8168. Its all enough to put you to sleep. Ok great thats what i thought.

Vernon Howells

The wind will wreck havoc with all this theory. It doesnt matter really how much more time within reasonable limits you employ, aircraft airspeed is different also. Main thing is to hold in the proper quadrant and be precise in the standard rate turns. The outbound leg is pretty much the one to be timed, but covered terrain will vary greatly with conditions and type aircraft. Do it economically so as to save fuel as much as possible.

Check the US AIM this November for  new, expanded guidance on holding.  Much of will address the way RNAV systems fly holding, the design of which is all predicated on original conventional holding criteria promulgated in the early 1960.

One thing that was learned, the recommended holding entries are actually more-or-less required for airspace containment since the fix end protected airspace is predicated on using a turn in the shortest direction to the outbound heading.  The use of parallel or teardrop sectors ensure that the turn is made in the shortest direction.

Rich Boll

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS