Sign in to follow this  
Chuck Dreier

Windows 10: Yes, No, Maybe?

I keep thinking about going to Windows 10 and have read various pros and cons.  I respect the members of this forum and wonder what you think.  The main reason is that my networked laptop has died and it's virtually impossible to get a Win 7 replacement.  My main computer is Win 7-64 but the laptop is integrated with several add-ons running at the same time.  To switch now or not?

• Upvote 1

I switched, and have everything regarding FSX-SE running without issues.

The one fly-in-the-ointment could be their USB issues in that my Microsoft ForceFeedback Sidewinder 2 joystick keeps infrequently losing its driver and I have to go back into Device Manager and re-install it, and there has been reports of its USB issues.

It has also had major issues with its Updates policies, but there are tools to regain Windows7-type control of this 'Beast'. Also bear in mind that as Microsoft gave away this OS and are now either beginning to regret it, and/or are seeking to push-adverts to recoup, such as on the Lock-screen, etc, or the way it tries to force its browser, Edge, to take over any other alternatives such as your own choice of PDF Reader, or web browser, i.e. Firefox, etc.

As for me, I have got total control over it.

No obvious benefits for P3D if you have P3D only dedicated PC. Once V4.0 or any P3d version that supports DX12 hit the shelves, I will switch. For now, W7 is a stable and totally predictable OS platform with no surprises and unnessessary learning curves

If you have any GoFlight modules, especially Gf-166 radios, stay away from Win 10 for now.  I have yet been able to obtain stable operation of those units despite trying all published fixes. All was well with my GoFlight units in Win 7, not so under Win10.

I have problem with my PFC yoke and connection with Win10 , or else i find its faster and smoothness with P3d on my rig.

I keep thinking about going to Windows 10 and have read various pros and cons.  I respect the members of this forum and wonder what you think.  The main reason is that my networked laptop has died and it's virtually impossible to get a Win 7 replacement.  My main computer is Win 7-64 but the laptop is integrated with several add-ons running at the same time.  To switch now or not?

I run Win 7 on my main FS machine and Win10 on my support machine. I have ASN, FSC, a flight tracker, WideClient, PFPX all running without issue under Win 10 interfaced to my Win 7 machine via both simconnect and FSUIPC.

• Upvote 1

Scott
Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I migrated a laptop and a desktop to W10 but held off on my FSX PC until recently. I have had no issues with W10 at all. I have the updates configured to NOT update other hardware drivers. My experience has been that W10 is much more stable OS and I generally like it much better than 8.1. But I don't think it gives any tangible performance gain in FSX. My FSX PC is an i7 4790K and I run FSX with REX TD SC, ASN, and a bunch of add ons. All good.

[CPL]  I9-9900K @5.0GHz HT ON, Maximus XI Hero, ASUS TUF RTX4080 OC, 32GB DDR4 3200 14, 1TB NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 40" Samsung 4K TV, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Logitech Rudder Pedals, WIN11

Scott,

I think I should do some more research.  I did not think that Win 7 and Win 10 interfaced well together on a network.  My supposition must come from the days when I tried to network Win 7 and XP together.  I had a very difficult if not impossible time getting them to cooperate (at least that's my memory).

I run Windows 10 on my main PC and my secondary support PC. I have no issues with my setup. Running P3d and FSX steam with Goflight Yoke, Throttles, Petals, and MCP. I have not experienced any USB issues. FSUIPC, EZ Doc, REX.

On my secondary PC.  ASN, ATCproX, Radar Contact, Simplates, Topcat, PFPX, FlightSim Commander, Aivlasoft EFB,

As with anything, some people will experience problems, some get lucky and don't.

I find Windows 10 very stable, and I think it runs faster, more efficient, but I don't think there's any huge improvement (if any) with FSX or P3D over windows 7.  For those people running Windows 7 and don't have need to upgrade, then I would recommend you stick with what works. (if it ain't broke, don't fix it :smile:)​ . If you do have a need, (like needing a new PC), Then Windows 10 should be fine.

Just my 2 cents.

• Upvote 1

Rick Verhallen

i9-13900KF OC to 5.8 Ghz | 64 GIG- G.Skill 7200 RAM | Asus ROG Maximus z790 Hero Motherboard | Gigabyte  RTX 4090 OC |  47" Samsung 4K Monitor I HP Reverb G2 HMD I Varjo Aero HMD I  Windows 11

Scott,

I think I should do some more research.  I did not think that Win 7 and Win 10 interfaced well together on a network.  My supposition must come from the days when I tried to network Win 7 and XP together.  I had a very difficult if not impossible time getting them to cooperate (at least that's my memory).

Chuck,

I don't recall it being overly difficult, but then I've been in various IT roles for the past 30 odd years :)

Yell if you need some assistance, there's plenty of people here

Scott
Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg