Sign in to follow this  
Reinaldo Santos

Team PMDG MD11 suggestion to create new V2

Any wonder why they won't build it?

Enhancement of what already exist's would be a fraction of that calculated cost.

Dave Taylor gb.png

Let's do some quick math. 2 full time developers at $150k/yr (incl benefits), 1 half time texture artist, 2 dedicated test engineers half time, 2 year development cycle, 1 FTE for marketing and administration, we're looking at about $1mn to $1.25mn in costs to develop a new version of the MD-11.

Current market research, based on the popularity level of this forum, indicates the potential for 200 sales, wow! Of course this includes my purchase. At a suggested retail price of $79.99, PMDG would stand to make about $16,000 from sales of the new MD-11. For a small net loss of a measly $984k.

Any wonder why they won't build it?

Why should so few people buy it? Who buys a 747? 100 times more people?

• Upvote 1

Why should so few people buy it? Who buys a 747? 100 times more people?

Why did so few airlines buy it? I like it, you like it, and other members like it but I am afraid but I am afraid that the people that like it wouldn't amount to a hill of beans when compared to the 747 V3.

If this goes down hill, it's going to get a swift kick down aforementioned hill to make it go away faster...

Kyle Rodgers

Why did so few airlines buy it? I like it, you like it, and other members like it but I am afraid but I am afraid that the people that like it wouldn't amount to a hill of beans when compared to the 747 V3.

Probably because of economical reasons. A trijet is not very cost effective.

But the reasons for buying a certain product for a simmer are probably completely different. They are emotional, don't you think?

I think you're right when you state that the 747 is an immensely popular plane, probably the world's most popular. But PMDG also released a 737 and a 777, and they released even less popular aircrafts. Surely you have your point at pointing out the costs of such a development, but I would be surprised to learn that the estimated difference is really that big.