Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Performance/fps Impact going from 1920x1200 to 3440x1440?

I've never been sure what to expect in terms of increased demand ON THE CPU when you do something like double the resolution. I'm assuming the GTX Titan is up to the task but again--what happens to the load on the CPU? I have excellent performance now in 3.2--what can I expect if I go with the awesome looking Dell U3425W from my 1920x1200 screen?

Thanks in advance--posting here for max exposure as there is a price drop and want to act fast!

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

Look at my specs in my sig. I went from a 24'' BenQ display 1920X1080 to a LG 34'' Ultrawide Curved 21:9 display 3440X1440 and I love it!

The performance drop really didn't happen, could be part hardware but what I think, is AA and AF. See with running a much higher resolution you get to actually lower your AA settings, you no longer need SGSS or can go from 8x AA down to 4x. So the FPS really is about the same (30Fps) for me.

I say go for it, but tell us your specs first.  

Answers will vary, but do the math:

1920x1200=2.28m pixels

3440x1440=4.95m pixels. That is twice the number of pixels to deliver to the screen.

I have a monitor 3840x2160=8.29m pixels and that is 4 times the initial rez.

Increased demand on the CPU, yes but also on the GPU which will work much harder to push those pixels.

But a good CPU at 4.6 or so and a good GTX980 will balance the load.

My 2 cents (CDN)

Pierre

With an older i7-3770K and a new 980Ti, I recently went from a 24" 1920x1200 to a new Dell U3425W at 3440X1440. Keeping the settings the same in 3.2, I saw no perceivable difference in frame rates (perhaps 3-4), but what you gain in visual immersion... wow!  

I was afraid I would have to get a new system (6700K) to push it, and while it would be faster, I am quite happy with the performance I currently get.

On a side-note, adjusting to the Wide-Angle mode took some time, but there is no going back!  

You would still need SGSAA if you want to get rid off shimmering on PMDG panels and some airports' textures whether you're on 1080/1220p or 1440p.

I have the same monitor and have tried 1920x1200 resolution and saw no difference in fps (plus it looked ugly!).

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

You would still need SGSAA if you want to get rid off shimmering on PMDG panels and some airports' textures whether you're on 1080/1220p or 1440p.

Exterior on the wings I agree with you, but In the VC using P3D's 3.2 build I disagree. I have NVI set to default for the P3D profile and just have Max Perf set on power and texture High Quality, thats it. 

8XMSAA in sim along with 4096 and 16X AF and she runs beautifully and the VC NGX looks great.

I was curious about this as well, but after my wife surprised me with the same Dell UW monitor for Christmas, happy to report there isn't much of a drop, and the increased immersion and pure eye candy is substantial.  Totally happy with it, and I went from 1920x1080 to 3440x1440 on a gaming laptop running a 3.4 ghz CPU and a 970m GPU.

With your hardware I'd be surprised if you even noticed a difference at all.

This is of course in P3D, where I lock framerate to 30fps.

In other modern games (Witcher 3 for example), I had quite a large drop in performance and it shows the limits of my mobile 970m GPU.  But, that's truly apples and oranges, as CPU is still king when it comes to P3D, opposite of almost all other games.

Do it, you'll love it!

Well, thanks all sounds hopeful.  I say hopeful because w/ my current 3 y/o rig I feel ultra lucky to be able to enjoy the NGX & T7 just about anywhere including even out of FTX regional sceneries.  As you all know, all's well as long as frames are at a certain minimum level provided that is also accompanied by freedom from stutters.  In the most demanding airports that I typically use I'll see the NGX get down to 21 or so frames and while it is definitely smooth, one notes less than fluid performance.  So that if I see a drop in that same scenario from 21 down to 17 for example, I don't think it would be worth it.  This is why I very specifically was searching for an answer to the question of how the CPU is impacted in this situation, and even more specifically, what role does the CPU play in let's call it pre-GPU processing for lack of the correct term.  It's easy enough to dial back GPU-specific functions, like AA for example, or shadow quality, etc but that would not have so much to do w/ pre-GPU processing demands on the CPU.

System is 3930K w/ HT enabled at 4.423Ghz, 2400Mhz DDR-3 at close to 2400Mhz, and GTX Titan original.

Thanks again--it's a good enough testimony to order one...so I just did  :smile:    I have no qualms about packing it up and returning it if the impact in the most demanding situations, which of course is all that will matter, is more than I want to put up with.   3.2 now runs so good I've become a rather spoiled  :P

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

Thanks again--it's a good enough testimony to order one...so I just did :smile: I have no qualms about packing it up and returning it if the impact in the most demanding situations, which of course is all that will matter, is more than I want to put up with. 3.2 now runs so good I've become a rather spoiled :P

Just try running your current monitor at X2.25 or X3 nvidia DSR.

That will give you a very good approximation of how the new Dell would go.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Not quite the same, but i recently bought a 32" monitor and went from 1920x1080 to 2560x1440. I'm running a i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz and a gtx770 and haven't seen a noticable change in frames. As others have said, that resolution/monitor size is worth any marginal performance hits that might happen. I'll never go back to 1080p!

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Have to agree. Almost impossible to return back to 1080p once you tried P3D in 1440p. Willing to accept some sort of FPS sacrifice as well.

Make a test with DSR setting to a higher resolution then you also know the impact.

Spirit

Hmmm..proof again that people only read the opening post.  :)

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Make a test with DSR setting to a higher resolution then you also know the impact.

Spirit

Just try running your current monitor at X2.25 or X3 nvidia DSR.

That will give you a very good approximation of how t

he new Dell would go.

gb.

Looks good thanks--don't see much if any difference even up to 4x so looks like the CPU hit isn't significant.  If I used GPU-Z I can see GPU utilization go up but can play around w/ GPU-specific parameters and should be a wash, or should a say, awash...with...better immersion  :Tounge:

The wonders of Amazon--will be here later today whoohoo!

I hope it's true the monitor can do 30Hz via HDMI, yes?  I read that somewhere and wanted to see if there's anything to this recommendation.

Cheers and thanks again all!

Noel