Sign in to follow this  
rpowers

Autogen Question

I have been flightsimming for like 30 years and now I spend more time dinking around for improvements,solving problems etc.I know autogen has always been performance problem,but not what I am asking about.Tonight I am flying,seeing all the AG things pop up which bothers me and wonder what happens with no autogen.So I have been going back and forth between full ag and no ag.No ag nothing popping up and a lot less trees.Otherwise I see no difference.Am I missing something here like more bldgs etc?From what I see I would give up the more trees to get rid of the popping up scenery.I am obviously an old guy been doing this over 30 yrs so maybe I am missing something.Thanks,Ron

Bring back Chief Illiniwek!University of Illinois.

As mentioned "elsewhere", for buildings and tree created by autogen, add this under [terrain] in your FSX.CFG.

[TERRAIN]
IMAGE_PIXELS_FOR_AUTOGEN_POLYGONS=512
TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=500<-----------------------adjust these two numbers as needed
TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=500<------------------
LOD_RADIUS=4.500000
MESH_COMPLEXITY=80
MESH_RESOLUTION=25
TEXTURE_RESOLUTION=29
AUTOGEN_DENSITY=5
DETAIL_TEXTURE=1
WATER_EFFECTS=4

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Thanks for the reply.I used your terrain settings and looks good.1 problem.In locked spot view on grd trees and poles etc are leaning towards the rt like from heavy wind.Ron

I understand the max trees and bldgs.what does first line image pixels polygons do?Thanks,Ron

I understand the max trees and bldgs.what does first line image pixels polygons do?Thanks,Ron

Polyline vegetation is rasterized into a sampling bitmap. The granularity of the rasterization is determined by the following setting in the ESP.cfg file:

[TERRAIN]

IMAGE_PIXELS_FOR_AUTOGEN_POLYGONS=16

The value of this setting is set at the minimum, 16, and can be any value up to 2048. The higher the number the more accurately a curved polygon will be rasterized. The value 16 indicates a rasterization of approximately 80 meters down to approximately 0.5 meter accuracy for the 2048 setting. There is a performance penalty with the time it takes to rasterize a region, and the memory required for the resulting sampling bitmap.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Thank you.I have no idea what any above response means.Sorry.You have it set at 512.What display differences am I looking for if I increase or decrease num?Do I assume decreasing gives better performance but lower guality and increasing the opposite?Just trying to increase my limited knowledge here.Thanks

Correct!  The higher the number towards 2048 means more rasterization of the polygons (more work for the CPU),

less framerate, more stutters, etc.  Lower numbers is better for framerate but less quality.

Charlie Aron

I originally did not have this entry under Terrain so is default 16/and you recommend 512?

I originally did not have this entry under Terrain so is default 16/and you recommend 512?

Experiment with it!  I find 512 works for my weak system.

Charlie Aron

Thanks for the all the help.Something to dink around with tonight while watching Fox News,basketball and golf.Multitasking withe only 1 earphone.Ron

charliearon   OK,been dinking  (my sub for f word in print) around and set it to 248 assuming we are working on multiples of 4,8 or 16.Then I went to 1048.Did not notice any performance drop and everything looks good.(Could be the beers while doing this,but who cares).This is always enjoyable figuring and tweaking and LEARNING from you young gurus.Thanks Ron

• Upvote 1