Sign in to follow this  
shazam

Another Build To Critique..Thanks!

Intel Boxed Core I7-6700K 4.00 GHz 8M Processor Cache 4 LGA 1151 BX80662I76700K
EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SC GAMING ACX 2.0, 04G-P4-2974-KR
ASUS Z170-A ATX DDR4 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz (PC4-24000) C15 Memory
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E250B/AM)
Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower Case PH-ES614P_BK
Noctua NH-D15 6 heatpipe with Dual NF-A15 140mm fans
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 80+ GOLD, 750W ECO Mode Fully Modular NVIDIA SLI/Crossfire Ready
1 TB Westerm Digital NAS Hard Drive, 3.5", SATAIII, 64Mb cache (already have 2 of these)
2- 24" ASUS monitors (already have these)

What will be the limiting factor for the performance of this unit for FSX?...for P3D?...for X-Plane?

I'd just as soon not over-clock, but would like to be ready, if that changes.  Is the Noctua ($89) overkill or under-kill?  Depending on the answer....

Corsair Hydro Series H100i GTX High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler CW-9060021-WW?  $110
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan (RR-212E-20PK-R2)?  $26

I haven't used add-ons, but Old_As_Dirt is showing me the way toward changing that.  :-)  I would like to be ready for virtual reality with this rig when VR matures a bit.....will this PC be sufficient? (and yup...I recognize that to be a moving target)

Thanks to all!

Jim

If you're not overclocking the Noctua is waaaay overkill - but you'd be silly not to at least overclock a little - that's the whole point of the K series

FSX limited by not overclocking

P3D same plus gtx 970

XP limited by gtx 970 and possibly ram if you run UHD addon scenery

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Intel Boxed Core I7-6700K 4.00 GHz 8M Processor Cache 4 LGA 1151 BX80662I76700K

EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SC GAMING ACX 2.0, 04G-P4-2974-KR

ASUS Z170-A ATX DDR4 Motherboard

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E250B/AM)

Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower Case PH-ES614P_BK

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 80+ GOLD, 750W ECO Mode Fully Modular NVIDIA SLI/Crossfire Ready

1 TB Westerm Digital NAS Hard Drive, 3.5", SATAIII, 64Mb cache (already have 2 of these)

2- 24" ASUS monitors (already have these)

What will be the limiting factor for the performance of this unit for FSX?...for P3D?...for X-Plane?

I'd just as soon not over-clock, but would like to be ready, if that changes.  Is the Noctua ($89) overkill or under-kill?  Depending on the answer....

Corsair Hydro Series H100i GTX High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler CW-9060021-WW?  $110

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan (RR-212E-20PK-R2)?  $26

I haven't used add-ons, but Old_As_Dirt is showing me the way toward changing that.  :-)  I would like to be ready for virtual reality with this rig when VR matures a bit.....will this PC be sufficient? (and yup...I recognize that to be a moving target)

Thanks to all!

Jim

Looks like a good setup. I have the case and it's excellent. Very easy to work with and better than many cases at twice the price. It seems a waste going for the K series processor and not overclocking it. Personally, I would go for the Corsair Hydro cooler but, if you're determined to go for air, get the NH-D15S. It's a new assymetric design which is less likely to interfere with your RAM.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Well worth considering GSkill Ripjaw V or Trident Z, fantastic Samsung modules and specifically designed for Skylake.

I'd agree with "vortex681"...in fact I have a 15S waiting for my Skylake build. In my opinion the perfected version of the D15. One fan, but two fans only makes two degrees difference. And of course you can add a second fan.

Which is single rail rather than multi rail. It might be worth you checking out the difference between multi rail and single rail, and deciding yourself which is the best bet. Multi rail for me.

Is the Noctua ($89) overkill or under-kill?  Depending on the answer....

Overkill if not overclocking... but if you ever overclock you will be VERY glad you have it. Overclocking is easy these days, do consider giving it a bash. And Intel do provide overclocking insurance for a very small sum.

Thanks to each and all!

I have swapped out the memory for...

6GB G.Skill DDR4 Trident Z 3000Mhz PC4-24000 CL15 (15-16-16-35) 1.35V Dual Channel Kit (2x8GB)

and the cooler for.....

(not my link, forum added it)

Honestly don't know the difference between a single-rail and multi-rail PSU....will do my research...thanks!

Would I gain a great deal by swapping for a 980ti?  ($286 worth)

Again, thanks!

Jim

Edit.....How does this look for a power supply......multi-rail, configurable to single-rail...

Corsair RMi Series, RM850i, 850 Watt (850W), Fully Modular Power Supply, 80+ Gold Certified

PS-I'm sure I'll be over-clocking...just haven't done it, so the concept is a bit foreign.

Linus is a little hyper in this video about multi vs single rail PSU's

Semi interesting though

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rC-ImSeYn2A

Good write up here

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3990

Frankly there's not a lot of practical difference between two quality branded units today (multi / single). Unless you have crappy wiring in your house :) at that point you'll have slightly more than OCP to worry about

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Would I gain a great deal by swapping for a 980ti? ($286 worth)

I can't speak for P3D or X-Plane, but for FSX, unless you're running a 4k display, you're not likely to see a big improvement with the 980ti - certainly nothing to justify the big price jump over the 970. It may be worth waiting for the new Pascal GPUs which are due out soon if you're happy to pay the price of a 980ti.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Linus is a little hyper in this video about multi vs single rail PSU's

Linus and I BOTH had too much coffee today!  Yeeha!  Excellent information in both places..thank-you!

[

It may be worth waiting for the new Pascal GPUs which are due out soon if you're happy to pay the price of a 980ti.

Happy might be a bit strong :-) , but I think staying with the 970 sounds like a good plan for now...thank-you!!

Just a random thought....when I need more video power (if ever), can one just double up on 970's?....yes, my newbieness is showing.

Jim

Basically single rail PSU's aren't inferior, they don't perform any better or worse than multi rail PSU's. So I would never tell anyone they MUST but multi rail, it's a personnel decision.

However... short circuit protection built into single rail PSU's can fail. Fairly rare, but it does happen. It happened to me with a s Seasonic.

When an issue occurs, particularly in a resistive load scenario, and the short circuit protection fails, your single rail PSU with a high OCP trip point can knacker other components in your system.

For me, despite such a scenario being fairly uncommon I would go multi rail... why not, both single and multi rail perform the same.

Here's a nice video with Johnny from Corsair. Pay attention at 2:33.

Thanks to each and all!

Edit.....How does this look for a power supply......multi-rail, configurable to single-rail...

Corsair RMi Series, RM850i, 850 Watt (850W), Fully Modular Power Supply, 80+ Gold Certified

PS-I'm sure I'll be over-clocking...just haven't done it, so the concept is a bit foreign.

Yep, a good alternative. As Johnny from Corsiar pointed out in the video above, they ship multi rail. After you have built your PC and all is well, you can switch to single rail if you so desire. It's not necessary though to be honest.

Thanks, Martin!  Excellent video.  I think we have a winner for a build.  Thanks to all and I'll report back when I get it together.

Jim

Woohoo....just ordered what 'we' decided, folks!  Can't wait for it to get here.  Thanks again to all who provided input.

In the mean time, I'm spending some time with my 'new' X-Plane version of Carenado's T210....awesome!  Been comparing the versions between Win7 and Linux installs.  Some peculiarities on Linux...like the virtual pilots are sitting in the virtual cockpit, interfering with POV, some of the non-std click-points don't work, and the C and O controls on the left side are MIA.  Will play with this some more when the new pieces/parts are put together, and add the REP to it.

Thanks again!

Jim

Good luck Jim, hope the build goes well. I'll look forward to hearing how well it performs.

The pieces/parts finally arrived and I put them all together over the weekend.  What a machine!

One of the things I do is run XPX on Linux.  Just for a test, I took the h/d out of the old computer, and put it in the new one (it's cool you can do that with Linux, and it will adapt to the new hardware).  It's like night and day.  I went into settings and changed from bottom end default graphics set to 'extreme',  It was like putting on an oxygen mask at 10K feet....the graphics literally pop.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the final choices of build components!

Jim

I can't speak for P3D or X-Plane, but for FSX, unless you're running a 4k display, you're not likely to see a big improvement with the 980ti - certainly nothing to justify the big price jump over the 970. It may be worth waiting for the new Pascal GPUs which are due out soon if you're happy to pay the price of a 980ti.

Absolutely.  Plus, the 970 can easily be overclocked to 980 levels.