Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

I wonder how FSX handles time zones.......

Who knew it was so complicated........!

• Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

great video with a laugh !

reminds me of something we all would have experienced ....driving near / across a timezone boundary but about 50kms before that, your cell/mobile locks on to the time of your destination (as that is now the closer transmission tower).

for now, cheers

john martin

In case you were interested...

FSX uses 15 degree divisions instead of the actual geographic boundaries for the time zones.

Many of us fly FSX in Realtime (Computer time, so long as it's updated), or addon software, or FSINN to get the correct time for where we are flying and any of these works terrifically.

Best wishes.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

In case you were interested...

FSX uses 15 degree divisions instead of the actual geographic boundaries for the time zones.

Many of us fly FSX in Realtime (Computer time, so long as it's updated), or addon software, or FSINN to get the correct time for where we are flying and any of these works terrifically.

Best wishes.

Interesting. I wonder how it does historical dates.....

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Who knew it was so complicated........!

maybe for this guy but not for pilots, they (should) use UTC time and all these problems disappear. Problem of time zones really is not part of aviation, it is for passengers to figure out what the local time is when they disembark.  :Confused:

maybe for this guy but not for pilots, they (should) use UTC time and all these problems disappear. Problem of time zones really is not part of aviation, it is for passengers to figure out what the local time is when they disembark.  :Confused:

Very true. The only real reason it matters for us is synchronizing the position of the sun for reslism and for shared cockpit.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Very true. The only real reason it matters for us is synchronizing the position of the sun for reslism and for shared cockpit.

I guess it depends on the degree of accuracy required. When looking up this stuff, I started thinking about this video (and leap seconds) all over again. (as my eyes slowly began to glaze)   :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinated_Universal_Time

Devons rig

LOL!

Dave Hodges

Whether for the sun or a shared cockpit, can't you just set the desired proper utc in fsx?

FYI:  The only time scales that matter are GPS and TAI; neither of which is affected by leap seconds.  All other time scales flows from these and cause their associated confusion.  I work in aerospace and all our systems use GPS time for this reason.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

Whether for the sun or a shared cockpit, can't you just set the desired proper utc in fsx?

You certainly can. However there are those who strive for realism, using the correct time for the time of day would be important.  It becomes more or less automatic when they are have the computer time syn'd to a source like the Naval Observatory (or others).

In the end, simulator time is what we want from it!

Dave Hodges

I still don't understand how setting the local time adds to realism. As long as the correct utc for the locality is being used, then the sun is in the correct place. How does local time affect realism in this sim?

• Upvote 1

Especially since governments have been whimsically playing with daylight savings, the difference between utc and local time may not be correct in msfs. So if you set your sim by local time, you might be wondering why it's dark outside while the sun is still up in the sim.