Sign in to follow this  

my psychiatrist is amazing, do you want his number? :P  :smile:  :lol: lol just kidding.

Hehe, thx for sharing, since mine simply gave up, and is now in deep depression :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Autogen update is due since 2+ years and eventually coming, that's great to see. But I'm a little bit concerned about the obvious recycling of just a dozen facades. Hope we will see more variation when it is in beta.

Ben mentioned some performance improvements he is working on so I guess a little FPS gain even with better autogen should be within reach.

I think clouds haven't changed. Looks like default to me with a "lucky" weather configuration.

Free updates are really great, but you have to keep in mind the state of X-Plane when it was released (and you paid 70 bucks for it): a mess, full of bugs, bad in performance and lacking a lot of artwork. That's part of the X-Plane story too ;)

Flo

• Upvote 6

That shot looks like the NYC addon scenery - are we sure it's new autogen? I only skimmed the text so I might have missed it

I think the clouds look better - they look different than default

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

That's what I though too, there's some more puffyness in those clouds ? They look better tahn what I have now ( when not using SMPv3, because I like the effects of SMPv3 more than those of the vanilla clouds... )

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Since most of us use add-on autogen w2xp etc, will these supposedly new Buildings or autogen(s)

still show up if we are using the 3rd party stuff?

Bob

Since most of us use add-on autogen w2xp etc, will these supposedly new Buildings or autogen(s)

still show up if we are using the 3rd party stuff?

Bob

No. At least not in the areas where you are using w2xp - I haven´t been keeping up with it´s development, but I remember there once was a solution where you only had w2xp-buildings when there was good enough OSM-building coverage, and resorted to X-Plane default autogen where there wasn´t. Not sure if that is still available?

Jan

It's amazing that they're still giving out these big updates for free. XP10 is probably the only software I own that still gets regular updates for something I bought a few years ago

Kudos to Laminar Research  :drinks:

not sure why you think this is a kudos .... no other product that you would buy.. would you praise them for continuing to try to get it right years after you bought it.

ie,

It's amazing that ABC automotive is  still giving out these engine timing updates for free.   The ABC 8 cylinder engine is probably the only engine that still gets fixes for something people bought a few years ago

For you:

730__26b39d3bb54f5551eb7197b883c8ab4a.jp

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

not sure why you think this is a kudos .... no other product that you would buy.. would you praise them for continuing to try to get it right years after you bought it.

Yes I would. I have plenty of software and games that are lacking or contain broken features. The software company may release a few minor fixes for free, but then after a year or two they just release another major version which is a paid upgrade and discontinue support for the older product. A prime example is P3D v3 which was mostly about bug-fixes and improving VAS etc.. This was a fully paid upgrade (IMO it should have been free). I also have no doubt that a P3D 64-bit will also be a paid upgrade. Compare that to X-Plane 10 which went 64-bit for free, gained a GNS 430 for free and has had a tonne of improvements since 10.0 was released. They could have charged users, and they didn't

Yes XP10 still has some glaring holes and bugs but we have also had a lot of bang-for-buck with v10.

• Upvote 5

Yes I would. I have plenty of software and games that are lacking or contain broken features. The software company may release a few minor fixes for free, but then after a year or two they just release another major version which is a paid upgrade and discontinue support for the older product. A prime example is P3D v3 which was mostly about bug-fixes and improving VAS etc.. This was a fully paid upgrade (IMO it should have been free). I also have no doubt that a P3D 64-bit will also be a paid upgrade. Compare that to X-Plane 10 which went 64-bit for free, gained a GNS 430 for free and has had a tonne of improvements since 10.0 was released. They could have charged users, and they didn't

Yes XP10 still has some glaring holes and bugs but we have also had a lot of bang-for-buck with v10.

I see your point :-)

No. At least not in the areas where you are using w2xp - I haven´t been keeping up with it´s development, but I remember there once was a solution where you only had w2xp-buildings when there was good enough OSM-building coverage, and resorted to X-Plane default autogen where there wasn´t. Not sure if that is still available?

Jan

Thanks Jan

The latest post on 10.50 is about airport flattening... as I'm currently working on my 34th submission to the Gateway, this is very exciting news.

Looks like lots to be looking forward to in the next version!!

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

The latest post on 10.50 is about airport flattening

as someone who doesnt know anything about this stuff, what will this allow you to do?

I tried reading the blogpost but i think it went above my head

as someone who doesnt know anything about this stuff, what will this allow you to do?

I tried reading the blogpost but i think it went above my head

Unlike FSX, XP allows airports to follow the contours of the underlying mesh.  When the mesh is smooth, it allows for nicely realistic sloped runways - more or less mimicking real life. However, the downside is that in many places, the underlying mesh is simply too sloped or rough to provide a decent result. As such, XP currently allows you to choose between applying flattening to airports, or to not apply any flattening.  But this setting is global - it affects all airports at once.

This change will allow the user to always leave flattening off and leave it up the developer to determine which airports need to be flattened, and which are usable.

I'm excited by it for two reasons - First, I like the idea of being able to use sloped airports, while not having to remember which airports need that setting changed, and second, because as a developer, I have some airports on the Gateway that have needed flattening, and some that were usable without.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Unlike FSX, XP allows airports to follow the contours of the underlying mesh.  When the mesh is smooth, it allows for nicely realistic sloped runways - more or less mimicking real life. However, the downside is that in many places, the underlying mesh is simply too sloped or rough to provide a decent result. As such, XP currently allows you to choose between applying flattening to airports, or to not apply any flattening.  But this setting is global - it affects all airports at once.

This change will allow the user to always leave flattening off and leave it up the developer to determine which airports need to be flattened, and which are usable.

I'm excited by it for two reasons - First, I like the idea of being able to use sloped airports, while not having to remember which airports need that setting changed, and second, because as a developer, I have some airports on the Gateway that have needed flattening, and some that were usable without.

very nice explanation. thanks