Sign in to follow this  
RioPilot

Crashing into invisible walls during takeoff/approach

Has anyone had this kind of problem?

I noticed it taking off from one runway at Midway (I forget the runway, but it was facing the Chicago skyline), and when on approach to 7L at Daytona Beach.

Even though I'm well above the tree line and other autogen elements, I every so often "crash" into what I assume is an invisible wall protruding upwards from those objects.

I don't remember it being so pronounced with FSX.

A simple solution I adopted years ago is simply disable crash detection, which I much prefer for many reasons, including this one.  I don't run into these objects often, but have in the past (both stock and 3rd party scenery), and it's frustrating and kills a good flight.  Additionally, turbulence/speed etc all have similar limitations that annoy me randomly.  When I crash, I know it, plain and simple.   That's good enough for me, I don't need the sim artificially trying to decide.

Not much help, but I would hit these in both FSX and P3D randomly... at least now I keep flying ha.

I agree crash detection is a joke, but sometimes it's nice to have when you want to know if you just made an especially hard landing or a crash landing. Especially since I use Prepar3d in conjunction with FSPassengers (mostly for airliners), and I'd like for there to be the negative consequences associated with having an actual crash.

Might changing mesh resolution help at all? Or maybe there is some way to ignore object collisions by editing a config file?

Alex D.

Nope - unless you know the EXACT object you either have CD on or off. The problem is in tracking down exactly what you hit. Finding something invisible makes it difficult.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Hi RioPilot,

Had same problem some time ago with airports at sea level (LICJ in Italy and PHKO in Hawaii).

Moving mesh resolution one notch to the left solved the issue in my case. At least til far.

Hope this may help, Cheers.

Massimo Burti

Intel Core i9-13900K ¦ 64GB DDR4-3200 - 2x 32GB - Kingston Fury Beast - black ¦ 2x 2TB - m.2 NVMe Gen4 - Samsung 980 Pro ¦ Asus ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WiFi D4  ¦ Asus TUF RTX 3080 Gaming OC LHR - 12GB ¦ 1000W - 80+ Platinum - Seasonic Prime PX

I'll agree with be77solo.  Crash detection gets you little more than headaches.  Better to learn to tell if it's a good landing by watching and seeing if you're satisfied. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Use this to rate your landings. http://bobbyallen.me/landing-rate-monitor/

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

Hi RioPilot,

Had same problem some time ago with airports at sea level (LICJ in Italy and PHKO in Hawaii).

Moving mesh resolution one notch to the left solved the issue in my case. At least til far.

Hope this may help, Cheers.

Update: recently had that problem again landing with a PMDG 777 at LIEE (ILS 32). Repeatable crash at RWY edge, flaring at 100ft, til I move mesh resolution slider to 10m (so two notches to the left). After that, no more crashes. Wonder if anybody else's experiencing same issues with default airports, especially at sea level with PMDG big birds.

Cheers,

P.S. still on P3D V3.2 BTW

Massimo Burti

Intel Core i9-13900K ¦ 64GB DDR4-3200 - 2x 32GB - Kingston Fury Beast - black ¦ 2x 2TB - m.2 NVMe Gen4 - Samsung 980 Pro ¦ Asus ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WiFi D4  ¦ Asus TUF RTX 3080 Gaming OC LHR - 12GB ¦ 1000W - 80+ Platinum - Seasonic Prime PX

I had this issue with FSDG's Seychelles X published by Aerosoft. Always crashing about 30 ft above the runway. Hugely frustrating after a 5 hour flight across the ocean! Never noticed it in the FSX installer but it was definitely an issue in updated installer provided for P3Dv3. They released a patch/fix for this particular issue but I only became aware of the patch by Googling. Now all is good again.

If the problem exists with payware airports, let the developers know over on their websites/forums and hopefully they will issue a fix. For standard P3D airports, let the folk here know which ones you are having a problem with specifically and someone might be willing to test their system to see if they also crash. At least you will confirm that it is not a specific problem with your setup. As noted, the terrain mesh slider can have a bearing on this.

Not sure if it does have this crash effect, but also check that your FTX regions are set correctly in the FTX control panel as it definitely has an effect on elevations. If I fly outside an FTX area with just Global and Vector, but forget to make that the active setting, (in other words, stil set to FTX NA PNW for example) you do notice elevation issues at many airports including standard ones. 

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

Thanks glutcheon,

Actually I do not have any FTX region installed, only FTX Trees HD: do you know if this may affect somehow stock airports elevations (i.e. particular recommended settings in FTX Central, if any)?

Cheers,

Massimo Burti

I had this issue with FSDG's Seychelles X published by Aerosoft. Always crashing about 30 ft above the runway. Hugely frustrating after a 5 hour flight across the ocean! Never noticed it in the FSX installer but it was definitely an issue in updated installer provided for P3Dv3. They released a patch/fix for this particular issue but I only became aware of the patch by Googling. Now all is good again.

If the problem exists with payware airports, let the developers know over on their websites/forums and hopefully they will issue a fix. For standard P3D airports, let the folk here know which ones you are having a problem with specifically and someone might be willing to test their system to see if they also crash. At least you will confirm that it is not a specific problem with your setup. As noted, the terrain mesh slider can have a bearing on this.

Not sure if it does have this crash effect, but also check that your FTX regions are set correctly in the FTX control panel as it definitely has an effect on elevations. If I fly outside an FTX area with just Global and Vector, but forget to make that the active setting, (in other words, stil set to FTX NA PNW for example) you do notice elevation issues at many airports including standard ones. 

Haven't you turned crash detection off? 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

Haven't you turned crash detection off?

I was having a specific issue where the entire P3D sim would crash (as in crash to desktop aka CTD) if I crashed an aircraft with detect crashes enabled. Oddly, by having the sim rebuild my prepar3d.cfg file yesterday, I seem to have fixed the issue as I have bent several aeroplanes in the past few hours trying to replicate this and no CTD's. So that issue (touch wood, hope it really was that easy!) is gone. The second issue I have with enabling crashes is that the sim reloads you in the cockpit of the default flight scenario, whether you like it or not, after a crash which can be more than a little annoying to me.

So yeah, kind of in between at the moment on turning crash detection off. I like to keep it real and for the most part I fly "seriously" (seriously :wink:) and do not go around crashing, so I also like it that there are "consequences" if I fluff a landing. The jury is still out on this one in my mind....

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

Hi Bob,

Yes indeed, but my FSPassengers...passengers  :smile: are not very happy with this kind of shaky landings: the 777 suddenly "teleport" to the RWY from 100ft due to the crash detection off, and they start to scream like mad.  :Whistle:

And of course, I'm not that happy too.

BTW with the latest FSDT Couatl update, crash detection is automatically disabled when you switch from VC to top-down F12 view in certain airports (i.e. KLAX).

Cheers,

• Like 1

Massimo Burti

I was having a specific issue where the entire P3D sim would crash (as in crash to desktop aka CTD) if I crashed an aircraft with detect crashes enabled. Oddly, by having the sim rebuild my prepar3d.cfg file yesterday, I seem to have fixed the issue as I have bent several aeroplanes in the past few hours trying to replicate this and no CTD's. So that issue (touch wood, hope it really was that easy!) is gone. The second issue I have with enabling crashes is that the sim reloads you in the cockpit of the default flight scenario, whether you like it or not, after a crash which can be more than a little annoying to me.

So yeah, kind of in between at the moment on turning crash detection off. I like to keep it real and for the most part I fly "seriously" (seriously :wink:) and do not go around crashing, so I also like it that there are "consequences" if I fluff a landing. The jury is still out on this one in my mind....

Crash detection never worked right in FSX and it doesn't in P3D either. You can hit invisible objects, have an AI aircraft come close to you and get a crash, etc. etc.  I turned it off decades ago, and nobody likes realism more than I do, but CD is not realistic at all. 

I must be one of the odd ones of the bunch.  If I crash, I crash into ground (my mistake, not the sim).  I have yet to find the invisible objects that a lot of folks speak of.  Then again, maybe it has to do with the fact that I own Pilot's Mesh and always have that installed for my sim.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit