Sign in to follow this  
zmak

Headphone vs speakers

After being away from simming for a few months months Im back soon and need to make a decision between the two.

The head set I like is this one with great reviews (razmat tiamat 7.1)

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2402985,00.asp

Around $180 and I'm pretty sure a good set of pc speakers would be double that

What would be the benefits of choosing one over the other?

ZORAN

don't  know  why  you would  go for the  expensive  set   for  I  just  got  the Microsoft life  chat Lx-3000  for  around  30  to  40 $  Aust  and had it  for  about  8 years  now  with no issues 

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

If you will be using it for other games, then knock yourself out. It's clearly a matter of if you want that surround sound (and if you do if it's just that you don't have space for decent speakers). If it's just for flight sim, I don't think any of them actually support surround, so it's just a waste of money...

Just tossing it around. I like the high fidelity sound especially for pmdg engine spool ups and other Suttle sounds missed on cheaper sets.

Also they have strong bass and I'm in a condo with thin walls.

Won't use surround for fsx

Not many replies so I guess head sets only without a speaker combo aren't very popular

ZORAN

Most of my life has been in radio and sound engineering. Without getting OT, I do like phones for simming. More immersive and private.

In the gaming category, the Sennheiser Game Zero is the only way to go. If you don't want/need a microphone, check out the HD 25-1 II as an excellent pro headphone.

...one guys opinion

Best Regards,

Mark

i7 10700KF 3.8gHz -125W air cooled, 500W PSU, 4070 Dual OC 12GB, 16GB 3200, 43" P4317Q

Redbird Alloy RD1, Honeycomb Alpha, Bravo, Stream Deck

Need a mic and those do have good reviews on amazon. How long you had them? How's the build Quality

ZORAN

Need a mic and those do have good reviews on amazon. How long you had them? How's the build Quality

Sennheiser QC and quality is generally top notch. In the studio, I'm currently using AKG K171 and K271 and they are very good (circum/supra-on/over ear models) but no microphone. As a former broadcast product reviewer, I had a chance to wear a LOT of headphones and test pro audio gear.

Back to your questions;

I can't find a better sounding and more accurate set of gaming phones than the Game Zero. You can go into pro (balanced) territory, but it means much more of an investment with diminishing returns for this use. Just got the Game Zero about six months ago.

Twenty-plus years with various Sennheiser phones. Eight years or so with several variations of the model 25. ...and 35 years with the 'headache maker' Koss 4AA ; )

Just my opinions. Happy shopping!

Best Regards,

Mark

i7 10700KF 3.8gHz -125W air cooled, 500W PSU, 4070 Dual OC 12GB, 16GB 3200, 43" P4317Q

Sennheiser QC and quality is generally top notch. In the studio, I'm currently using AKG K171 and K271 and they are very good (circum/supra-on/over ear models) but no microphone. As a former broadcast product reviewer, I had a chance to wear a LOT of headphones and test pro audio gear.

Back to your questions;

I can't find a better sounding and more accurate set of gaming phones than the Game Zero. You can go into pro (balanced) territory, but it means much more of an investment with diminishing returns for this use. Just got the Game Zero about six months ago.

Twenty-plus years with various Sennheiser phones. Eight years or so with several variations of the model 25. ...and 35 years with the 'headache maker' Koss 4AA ; )

Just my opinions. Happy shopping!

I see they have a new model, game 1 that doesn't need an amp

I've got a big head, are they adjustable?

ZORAN

I see they have a new model, game 1 that doesn't need an amp

I've got a big head, are they adjustable?

Ha. Big head here too. The Zero ear cups are fairly large and fit around the ears, being circumaural.

As I recall, the Zero model is newer than the One. The main difference being the Zero is a closed design. The One is open. I like the isolation, so went with the Zero.

My Zero uses 3.5mm plugged directly into the PC onboard audio. No external amp required.

Best Regards,

Mark

Just tossing it around. I like the high fidelity sound especially for pmdg engine spool ups and other Suttle sounds missed on cheaper sets.

Also they have strong bass and I'm in a condo with thin walls.

Won't use surround for fsx

Not many replies so I guess head sets only without a speaker combo aren't very popuYu

You say you live in a condo with thin walls. Shouldn't consideration for your neighbours be a priority?

You say you live in a condo with thin walls. Shouldn't consideration for your neighbours be a priority?

Isn't that why he is looking at buying earphones?

WoW how confused are you?

Ha. Big head here too. The Zero ear cups are fairly large and fit around the ears, being circumaural.

As I recall, the Zero model is newer than the One. The main difference being the Zero is a closed design. The One is open. I like the isolation, so went with the Zero.

My Zero uses 3.5mm plugged directly into the PC onboard audio. No external amp required.

Final question are they USB?

ZORAN

I am more confused now. The topic is Headphones vs Speakers.  Please correct me if I am wrong, but aren't speakers those things which emit sound waves which can get very loud if amplified. Headphones fit over the ears so that the person wearing them get hear loud sounds without them going any further. 

If I am wrong could you please state where, and as this forum doesn't usually go in for insults, as politely as possible.

Alan if you don't have any input regarding the title and the original question then please move on.

ZORAN

WoW how confused are you?

Final question are they USB?

The Game Zero connectors are standard (for most PCs) analog 3.5mm/ 1/8th inch connectors, not USB. One connector plugs into the PC mic jack and the other goes to the headphone jack. The cable is very nice, flexible fabric covered (for durability) and relatively long.

I prefer, for my sim, to use analog instead of USB. Analog unbalanced (as these phones are) is very simple and does not require drivers or introduce latency. True; USB headsets have come a long way, but I like the simplicity of analog for a single use, single PC.

Hope that helps.

Best Regards,

Mark