Sign in to follow this  
Brian_A_Neuman

Assigning 1 core for ASN

Good afternoon,

I am one of the people who are suffering from the hesitation issues with P3D 3.2. I really think at after following all the instructions regarding locked frame rates, affinity mask, FFTF (.01), I do believe that ASN is the culprit and I cant fly without it :)

How do I assign cores for a single program? This seems to be a solution that people use but I cant figure out how to do it. I am running a i5 (3.30 unable to overclock) with a 980 GTI. Thank you.

Brian A. Neuman

Proud simmer since 1982 using the following simulators: Sublogic Flight Simulator 1 and 2. Microsoft Flight Simulator 4.0, 5.1, FS95, FS98, FS2000, FS2002, FS2004, FSX (and unfortunately Flight!). Terminal Reality Fly 1 and 2. Sierra Pro Pilot, Looking Glass/Eidos/Electronic Arts Flight Unlimited I, II and III, Laminar Research X-Plane 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11, FS Aerofly 2, Lockheed Martin Perpar3D 2.X, 3.X, 4.X and 5.X and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020). Not to mention numerous combat simulators and games related to flight that I have played with over the years.

System: Intel I7-7700K-Water Cooled, 32GB Ram, GTX 1080Ti, 500gb SSD, 1TB HD and dedicated 1TB and 2TB SSD's for Flight Simulators

There are several tools for doing this. One of the most popular ones is Process Lasso https://bitsum.com/

Another possibility is running ASN networked on a client, if you have a 2nd machine around. That's what I do.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

I wish I had an extra machine around, but I don't at the moment. I'll check into that program. Thanks for your help.

Brian A. Neuman

Proud simmer since 1982 using the following simulators: Sublogic Flight Simulator 1 and 2. Microsoft Flight Simulator 4.0, 5.1, FS95, FS98, FS2000, FS2002, FS2004, FSX (and unfortunately Flight!). Terminal Reality Fly 1 and 2. Sierra Pro Pilot, Looking Glass/Eidos/Electronic Arts Flight Unlimited I, II and III, Laminar Research X-Plane 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11, FS Aerofly 2, Lockheed Martin Perpar3D 2.X, 3.X, 4.X and 5.X and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020). Not to mention numerous combat simulators and games related to flight that I have played with over the years.

System: Intel I7-7700K-Water Cooled, 32GB Ram, GTX 1080Ti, 500gb SSD, 1TB HD and dedicated 1TB and 2TB SSD's for Flight Simulators

If you want a freebee you can try Easytoolz

http://www.easytoolz.net/index.html?titleFrame=programme/programme.html&mainFrame=programme/easytoolz.html

(Not sure if there's an English language version, though)

I own and used both of them for a time, both work. Process Lasso is very powerful indeed and can do much more.

Kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Well for th most part it runs well, I just get that goofy drop in FPS every 5-7 seconds that is very brief. Yes, I would like a new CPU, but I need to ensure I don't have to replace my motherboard to do it.

Brian A. Neuman

you can always do it manually also, by going into the task manager, right click and pick affinity settings..you may have to hit 'show processes from all users' button at the bottom first to have admin permission to change.

did you test without using ASN to verify that it was the cause? it seems unusual, i do not use any special settings with it and never have troubles such as you describe on my 3.6ghz machine. it is just not doing anything every 5-7 seconds, other than the initial injection it should really only mess with your sim every 15 minutes or so when it updates weather.. might want to post at their forums too if you are sure that is the cause maybe the log file would show some related problem.

EDIT: i just realized this is the p3d forum, my experience is with fsx only.

all bets are off there!! haha! but you may want to check their site, i know there was a patch released for ASN just in the last few days that was for p3d users.

cheers

-andy crosby

I have tested. When I load up with no weather it pans smoothly. With ASN, I get the hesitation. Before I left for work today I brought my locked frames down to 30, adjusted my affinity mask to 85 as well. I will do further testing. I will tell you the hesitation does not make it unflyable, it's just annoying.

Brian A. Neuman

Assign FSX all the cores but 1 (usually the first) and don't try to micro-manage ASN.  I wrote FSXAssist for that.   Clouds have always been a big FPS / smoothness hit except on my current build with 2 970s in SLI.  As a matter of fact, since I went SLI a few years ago, clouds no longer cause stutters.  Also I use REX soft clouds.

Regards

jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

If you are running FSUIPC look in the .ini file and see of auto save is on, if it is turn it off. (just another possibility)

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

If you are running FSUIPC look in the .ini file and see of auto save is on, if it is turn it off. (just another possibility)

Autosave is not turned on, so that is not the culprit. Good idea though.

I appreciate all the ideas and I will look into trying all of them tomorrow (I have a horridly busy day today, no time for P3D unfortunately). 

Brian A. Neuman

If your running win7 try changing your desktop theme to Aero. I did this and it made a huge difference!

Kevin Humphryes

Alright, assigning core 0 to ASN/VPILOT with P3D assigned to 1,2,3 seems to have smoothed it out. Will I need to do this manually in the Task Manager every time I do this? Or will windows remember? Thank you for all your help.

Brian A. Neuman

Windows (Task Manager) does not remember the settings. The tools I cited above (and some others) will do.

Kind regards, Michael

I use Project Lasso and it remembers where I assign things and the priorities assigned.