Sign in to follow this  
jpperks

Intel Core i7 4790k or i7 6700k

Hi,

I've been doing quite a lot of research regarding best PC specs. for running P3D v3.

I'm particularly unsure about the best CPU to be using. I have already found out the 4790k performs better under single core loads compared to the 6700k, is this true? Considering that P3D and FSX generally use a single core, I assumed that the 4790k would be the CPU to go for...

However after doing some more research about the 6700k, it appears it is more efficient, uses less power...

Unless I've missed any forum posts similar to this (apologies if I have), I can't seem to find any solid evidence about which of the two is best, specifically for P3D.

Or is there another CPU that is best? Budget isn't an issue...

Thanks for help

Jonathan

Hi,

I've been doing quite a lot of research regarding best PC specs. for running P3D v3.

I'm particularly unsure about the best CPU to be using. I have already found out the 4790k performs better under single core loads compared to the 6700k, is this true? Considering that P3D and FSX generally use a single core, I assumed that the 4790k would be the CPU to go for...

However after doing some more research about the 6700k, it appears it is more efficient, uses less power...

Unless I've missed any forum posts similar to this (apologies if I have), I can't seem to find any solid evidence about which of the two is best, specifically for P3D.

Or is there another CPU that is best? Budget isn't an issue...

Thanks for help

Jonathan

Budget no issue, I'd go with a Siliconlottery 6700K @ 4.8Ghz.  The prices vary depending on what he has in stock and at what speeds they run, but a great place for quality CPU's.  I'd also add the delid option and you'll run even cooler.

https://siliconlottery.com/products/6700k48g

The 4790K is a great CPU, but it's now outdated tech.  The new motherboards supporting the 6700K will give you multiple 3.1 USB (much faster than 3.0) and faster ram (DDR4) for example, so you'll be much better off moving forward.

Enjoy your new machine!

I agree with be77Solo.

Last year I faced the same decision and choose for the 6700K (and a GTX980Ti).
The technology is much newer, specifically the DDR4 RAM.

Also you make advantage of newer chipset and mobo technology.
I don't think the single core difference between the 4790K and 6700K is that much and besides that: P3D utilizes multiple cores

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

If you go for the 4790k (a good CPU), you're buying into the end of the Haswell line of processors. Conversely, with the 6700k you're getting in at the start of the Skylake series. Although the 4790k tends to overclock slightly better, on average, than the 6700k, the newer chipset/CPU combination is apparently better at processing data so an equivalent overclock on a 6700 should give you slightly better performance. Now that the supply of 6700k processors is improving, the price is getting closer to the 4790 so really it's a no-brainer. Being able to use DDR4 RAM just seals the deal for me.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Go for the new tech 6700k. The platform improvements alone would justify the bit of extra money. Either way, I always recommend a Delid (bravery) to give yourself a little thermal overhead to overclock.

I got my 6700K at 4.7 + 980ti STRIX from Asus and it's a pisser to play P3D now.

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

I got my 6700K at 4.7 + 980ti STRIX from Asus and it's a pisser to play P3D now.

I have about exactly the same setup and it just makes P3D  v3 finally live up to its potential. After years of resistance I finally switched over to P3D full time. For whatever reason the 6700k system was just superior to my 4790k system. Go 6700k and you should be very happy.

- Bill Magann

Budget no issue, I'd go with a Siliconlottery 6700K @ 4.8Ghz. 

Come on now.  That is absolutely ridiculous to pay that much for a .1 or even .2 bump over a slightly lower clocked CPU.  Even if budget isn't an issue.

• Upvote 1

If he want one it's ok , binning is not cheap .

If you want a real golden one 3 on 1000 tested the price tag is very high for 6700k 1700usd and for one that do 60mhz less ( not one multi) 1300usd, no we talk ridiculous prices.

Come on now.  That is absolutely ridiculous to pay that much for a .1 or even .2 bump over a slightly lower clocked CPU.  Even if budget isn't an issue.

+1  I've built 3 6700K systems in the past 6 months... bought the cpu's from Fry's.  They all hit 4.7 Ghz (1 went to 4.8) on air for the stock price of $370 (still too much... I paid $280 for my 4790k!)  To pay that extra for .1 to .2 Ghz is crazy!

Greg

The question to ask "in my opinion" is what that 100-200 MHz gives us.

It's a 5% increase from 4.6 GHz to 4.8.

So at 30 frames per second, that 200 MHz extra gives us a mere 1.5 frames per second extra, because overclocking is linear.

Silicone Lottery charge an extra $100 dollars I believe compared to a 4.6 GHz chip. So $100 for a confirmed 1.5 frames per second... your choice.

This sounds odd but when I was OCing at first with my 6700K in P3D 4.7ghz made a huge difference over 4.5...I know % wise it isn't much but in the sim the difference in FPS and smoothness wasn't linear with my OC. I didn't purchase a "special" chip just a regular joe chip from NewEgg. 

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

That's interesting Ron.

I did quite a bit of experimentation with this a while back, and it was definately linear. I know others have too.

Perhaps there was some other variable at work. Some kind of bottleneck issue perhaps.

We would need detailed notes from your endeavors to gleen anything definitive really. Plus the same experience replicated by others.

In a wellbalanced system with good effency Its linear to the OC ,

If not Its something odd , settings sim , gpu, CPU . Settings OC, etc.