Sign in to follow this  
jpperks

Intel Core i7 4790k or i7 6700k

Conversely, with the 6700k you're getting in at the start of the Skylake series.

It's my understanding that Skylake will not support WIN 7. Is that correct? 

Thanks

It's my understanding that Skylake will not support WIN 7. Is that correct? 

Thanks

No, not correct.

Skylake doesn't support EHCI, so install W7 from DVD rather than USB.

Additionally, from 2018 Microsoft will only support Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 on Skylake, up to 2018. 

Additionally, from 2018 Microsoft will only support Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 on Skylake, up to 2018. 

That's it. Thanks.

Skylake doesn't support EHCI, so install W7 from DVD rather than USB.

Be mindful - this means that not only can you not use USB boot media to install Win7 on a Skylake, but you may not have the ability to use a USB keyboard or mouse during the installation process. This would require you to use a PS/2 style connections, assuming your motherboard has them. Some quick Googling indicates that you may be able to slipstream some drivers into your Windows 7 boot DVD which would end up supporting a USB keyboard or mouse.

It may be worth fully vetting your installation plans prior to making any purchases.

I'm eyeballing a Skylake upgrade this summer as well, but would like to maintain full flexibility with regards to my OS of choice, so this is something I'll be visiting more deeply if and when my "Household Committee on Finance and Expenditures" frees up my funding.

I bought a pre-built gaming rig last November with 6700K installed, not O/C - I get 40 FPS (set-rate)  consistently with very few stutters & sliders almost maxed on FSX=SE...

Be mindful - this means that not only can you not use USB boot media to install Win7 on a Skylake, but you may not have the ability to use a USB keyboard or mouse during the installation process. This would require you to use a PS/2 style connections, assuming your motherboard has them. Some quick Googling indicates that you may be able to slipstream some drivers into your Windows 7 boot DVD which would end up supporting a USB keyboard or mouse.

It may be worth fully vetting your installation plans prior to making any purchases.

I'm eyeballing a Skylake upgrade this summer as well, but would like to maintain full flexibility with regards to my OS of choice, so this is something I'll be visiting more deeply if and when my "Household Committee on Finance and Expenditures" frees up my funding.

Thanks Greg.

I opted for Windows 10, so not relevant to me, but great information for others.

I understand there is a Windows 7 USB patcher that negates the requirement for a PS2 keyboard. From ASRock, not sure if it can be used with any motherboard.

Still requires quite a bit of messing about though.

Hi,

I was able to sell my 4790k rig at a reasonable price and am building a new one. 

As the Q2 is ending would you still buy a 6700k or wait for a possible successor?

It's already hard to wait on the new GTX's, but I don't want to end up building a new rig and two month later there is all new processors with yet again new sockets etc.

Regards, Perry

I understand there is a Windows 7 USB patcher that negates the requirement for a PS2 keyboard. From ASRock, not sure if it can be used with any motherboard.

Oddly enough, this is the only one that worked on my Asus mobo ! Thank you Asrock !

Asus EZinstall tool failed, and autounattend method failed as well. And Intel's own tool failed too :).

So just get that tool http://www.touslesdrivers.com/index.php?v_page=23&v_code=45966 (Asrock USB patcher I used v 1.0.6).

- Have win7 installation files in some directory (or just in a dvd drive....).

- Run the patcher and specify that Win7 drive as source. Get a patched ISO file as an output.

- Then burn that ISO on a USB key as bootable. (I use Rufus to do that).

Boot on the USB and enjoy Win7 install in xHCI with USB drive/keyboard/mice support.

As the Q2 is ending would you still buy a 6700k or wait for a possible successor?

There is always a successor on the horizon for CPUs, GPUs and storage. At some point, you just have to pull the trigger.

Cheers!

Luke

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

Oddly enough, this is the only one that worked on my Asus mobo ! Thank you Asrock !

Asus EZinstall tool failed, and autounattend method failed as well. And Intel's own tool failed too :).

So just get that tool http://www.touslesdrivers.com/index.php?v_page=23&v_code=45966 (Asrock USB patcher I used v 1.0.6).

- Have win7 installation files in some directory (or just in a dvd drive....).

- Run the patcher and specify that Win7 drive as source. Get a patched ISO file as an output.

- Then burn that ISO on a USB key as bootable. (I use Rufus to do that).

Boot on the USB and enjoy Win7 install in xHCI with USB drive/keyboard/mice support.

Good to know it worked. Bit weird that none of the others did.

There is always a successor on the horizon for CPUs, GPUs and storage. At some point, you just have to pull the trigger.

Cheers!

Luke

That's usually my philosophy too. Technology advances so rapidly, that if you always wait for what's just around the corner, you would wait forever.

If a new architecture is imminent, I'd wait, but if months away, sod it, I'd pull the trigger.

The new CPU's in the pipeline won't be game changers anyway. 

Cheers!

Luke

That's usually my philosophy too. Technology advances so rapidly, that if you always wait for what's just around the corner, you would wait forever.

If a new architecture is imminent, I'd wait, but if months away, sod it, I'd pull the trigger.

The new CPU's in the pipeline won't be game changers anyway.

Thanks guys for the reassurance. I am going to pull the trigger on the Skylake, get the parts and start my build.

I will have to live without a graphicscard for a while till the 1080's or 1070's come out.

Regards, Perry