Sign in to follow this  
flyinion

possibly moving to FSX-SE, have ?'s

Hi guys, so I picked up FSX-SE right after release when it was super cheap but have not installed it because I had a fully functioning "Gold edition" with all my addons configured.  Now I'm looking at probably reinstalling Windows from scratch to go from 8.1 to 10 and figured while I'm doing that I might as well swap over to FSX-SE.  Problem is I'm not sure what all is compatible.  Also, in the past I followed NickN's recommendations such as adding some line that were missing from the scenery.cfg file.  I don't know if stuff like that or "bufferpools" tweaks/etc are needed now with the SE version.  Here's a high level list of my addon's and what I believe to be their compatibility status, can anyone confirm?

PMDG 737 NGX (works)

QW 146 Avro package (not sure)

Carenado C185 Bush package (not sure)

RealAir Lancair Legacy V1 (not sure)

OrbX scenery (regions, global, vector) ( works)

FSGlobal 2010 mesh OrbX edition download (not sure)

REX OD weather engine (works)

REX 4 texture direct (works)

Moving over to FSX-SE has been the main thing holding me back from Win10 since I plan on clean installing vs. trying to upgrade it.

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

I believe, in my limited experience that FSX:SE has better performance out of the box: Less OOM errors etc. I cannot vouch for any compatibility with Win 10 as I run Win 7 ultimate 64bit.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

I believe, in my limited experience that FSX:SE has better performance out of the box: Less OOM errors etc. I cannot vouch for any compatibility with Win 10 as I run Win 7 ultimate 64bit.

Thanks, yeah I've heard they have tweaked SE a bit which is why I'm interested in switching to it.  Also not worried about Win10 since I know even the 10 year old DVD version works with it.  It's just addons and SE that I'm worried about mostly and then what stuff in fsx.cfg might still need tweaking.

Oh forgot to mention I run FSX  in DX10 mode with the "fixer" addon as well and Nvidia inspector tweaks.

• Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

Hey Flyinion,

Go ahead and do Your Win 10 thing and get it Running, install FSX SE, Run it and see if You like it, then install "FSX Boost", "Amazing", that's all the Tweaking You will have to Do !!!! I run FSX, FSX SE, and P3D V1.4 Concurrently, and all with "Fsx Boost", and they all run Great, the reason I am Running FSX, I can do an addon install to FSX,  then I can, Usually, Drag and drop it into FSX SE, or P3D. Good Luck, and have Fun!!

Johnman B)

PMDG 737 NGX (works)

QW 146 Avro package (not sure)

Carenado C185 Bush package (not sure)

RealAir Lancair Legacy V1 (not sure)

OrbX scenery (regions, global, vector) ( works) <-- I have FS Global Base, FTX Vector, the NA Freeware pack, and some of the other FTX freebies - They all work fine.

FSGlobal 2010 mesh OrbX edition download (not sure) <-- I use FreemeshX, but as far as I know, they all install the same way and use the same file fomats, so it should work no problem

REX OD weather engine (works)<-- Works fine, no problems at all

REX 4 texture direct (works)<-- Works fine, no problems at all

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

Charles

I moved to FSX:SE on Win7 and then upgraded to Win10. I've had no problems whatsoever and I am pleased with FSX:SE.

I can vouch for QW146 Avro and RealAir Legacy V1 - both working without a hitch on FSX:SE / Win10 and no mods required to get them going. As with Post #5 - ORBX all seamless without any problem.

I cant think why you wouldn't go to FSX:SE - I asked the same question of this forum a year ago and now wonder why I was even worried! Its been a good experience for me. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Rupert

• Upvote 1

Best regards

Rupert

Hey Flyinion,

As I stated above I Run FSX SE Ect. and it Runs Great, with the Booster. The only thing I do Not like about it , is that every time You run it, it loads a steam like interface, that Allows You to go to the Steam Room, and buy Steam Things, which implies that only Steam Things can be Added. Not True, I have Dragged and Dropped Aircraft, Directly into the Aircraft folder, Following Protocol of course, and they Worked! You may find this Interface Annoying, and what happens if Steam or Dovetail Disappear, for whatever reason. You "Always" have Your "FSX Gold CD's"!!

Johnman B)

Thanks guys, this is putting me at ease for sure.  I know originally there were problems with a different folder naming convention but that is solved if you only have one FSX on the system which of course would be the case once I move to Win10 as I'll be clean installing the OS.  I hate having to do that but of course it's the best way to make sure that junk and problems don't carry over to a new OS Install.

Hey Charles:

The QW 146 package works perfectly in Steam with Windows 10.

I also went with DX10, and a 64 bit system, and the results are amazing. Even with my lowly rig, 3.4 quad and nvidia GTX560, I can (and do) run with all sliders maxed.

- Roger

Hey Charles:

The QW 146 package works perfectly in Steam with Windows 10.

I also went with DX10, and a 64 bit system, and the results are amazing. Even with my lowly rig, 3.4 quad and nvidia GTX560, I can (and do) run with all sliders maxed.

- Roger

Nice, yeah the performance improvements I've read about for SE are one of the reasons I want to run it.  Gold version with all the Orbx scenery and aircraft like the PMDG 737 can still bring down my system (4790K running at 4.4Ghz on all cores and GTX 780).

I got a new Win10 machine about a month ago and planned on using FSX-SE as a stopgap until my wallet recovered from the hardware outlay, whereupon I'd make the jump to P3D.

I am rethinking that now: FSX-SE is working well enough for me that I'm sticking with it for the forseeable future.  No fiddling, no tweaking and I'm getting great performance.  I, too, am using the DX10 fixer and Nvidia Inspector tweaks and all is well.

The hardware jump accounts for most of that, of course, but I'd bet that if I were to install FSX-SE on my old machine I'd see a notable performance improvement over FSX.

Richard P. Kelly

I stuck with FS9 for a decade, mainly because of all of the scare stories concerning FSX and the need for an expensive computer to run the thing. Recently, on a whim, I purchased FSX-SE. I have been running FS9 on a year old Dell off the shelf from Best Buy. 3.1 Intel dual core, 4MB, with the dreaded integrated video card. I have had the usual issues with FS9 and Win 8. But it has run decently with good FPS. I installed FSX-SE, and was presently surprised it runs better than FS9. I have bought a couple of Carenado airplanes, and Flight1's GTN-750. With this relatively basic computer, I'm still getting 30 FPS, even with the previously mentioned add-ons. All settings are in the mid-range. I'm very pleased with FSX-SE, and would highly recommend it. 

• Upvote 1

I stuck with FS9 for a decade, mainly because of all of the scare stories concerning FSX and the need for an expensive computer to run the thing. Recently, on a whim, I purchased FSX-SE. I have been running FS9 on a year old Dell off the shelf from Best Buy. 3.1 Intel dual core, 4MB, with the dreaded integrated video card. I have had the usual issues with FS9 and Win 8. But it has run decently with good FPS. I installed FSX-SE, and was presently surprised it runs better than FS9. I have bought a couple of Carenado airplanes, and Flight1's GTN-750. With this relatively basic computer, I'm still getting 30 FPS, even with the previously mentioned add-ons. All settings are in the mid-range. I'm very pleased with FSX-SE, and would highly recommend it. 

Awesome.  I'm sure my OrbX scenery will seriously drag the FPS down lol, but the improved base performance should help.  I also double checked and the one aircraft installer I was concerned about.......the NGX...I already have the March 2015 update installer that gave it FSX:SE compatibility.

Ok guys just finished reinstalling my PC with Win 10 and of course migrating over the FSX-SE.  I realized I have one more question.  I understand occasionally DTG updates FSX with a few tweaks and bugfixes (or has in the past after it was released on Steam) so that leads me to the obvious question.  Do i need to worry that an update will overwrite things like scenery.cfg or manually/otherwise installed addons that are not Steam DLC purchases (like the gigs of Orbx stuff I just installed)?  

So far I'm liking it out of the box....just finished installing all the Orbx stuff so haven't really seen it yet....looking forward to seeing how the NGX performs with heavy scenery addons it it.  Was nice only having to add the wideview tweak to fsx.cfg, oh and LOD radius to 6.5 lol.

That shouldn't be a problem. During the first six months, DTG issued several updates to fix problems that had come to light (particularly the  'terrain.dll' crashes) but have now stated that they do not intend to issue any more updates for FSX SE and are

concentrating on developing their own flight sim.

• Upvote 1