Sign in to follow this  
Guest SuperFortress

Creating a proper approach

Guest SuperFortress

I've been trying to create a decent approach to KBOS but so far it does not seem correct, at least to me it's not. As you can see in the included pic, the magenta line makes some drastic turns before lining up with the runway. I'm using the sample plan included with the PMDG747. The plan is called JFKBOS001. How do I go about planning a more realistic approach that does not involve such drastic maneuvers? Thank you.

I have no idea how to do it with that aircraft.Why are waypoints I04RI and I04RM between the FAF of MILTT and the threshold?Are those the Middle Marker and Inner Marker?Since according to the plate (http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0510/00058I4RC2.PDF) they are 954 feet (IM) and 1,368 feet (MM) from the threshold - are they necessary?Also do you have the IAF of WINNI programmed into the approach?When flying into that runway I prefer to use the INNDY transition - is that also in your approach plan?What is your transition point? Which STAR are you using?I use the default GPS to fly the approaches into KBOS which are standard in FS2004. All the STARS can be created in the default flight planner, and the default GPS will fly those and the transitions to the published approaches without a problem.

Guest UweR

Hi,one problem I see is that your approach speeds aren

Guest SuperFortress

Thank you guys for all the suggestions. I will have to put your advice to use tonight when I get home from work. I'm still learning how to create and understand flight plans so don't think that I'm any kind of expert at this. Still a novice:) If you could point me to further reading materials I would appreciate it as well.One other question though. Is there any way to zoom in further on the ND so that I can see more clearly what's happening around the approach and runway? It always seems very cluttered even at max zoom.

Guest UweR

Hi,use the EHSI Control Panel to enable PLAN mode in the ND (to the left of the range knob), then use the STEP button on the CDU

Guest SuperFortress

>Hi,>>use the EHSI Control Panel to enable PLAN mode in the ND (to>the left of the range knob), then use the STEP button on the>CDU

Guest SuperFortress

>I attachad an FS flight plan and the PMDG route of this>flight, maybe it helps.>>http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/129079.zip>When I try loading this plan into the 747 FMC I get NOT IN DATABASE mesage. I am using the most current AIRAC (0510) and the most current SID/STAR file.

Simple really, you forget all about VNAV/LNAV at this point and use LOC+APP. [h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]AMD 64 4000+|ASUS K8V DELUXE|SAPPHIRE ATI X800XT PE|MUNCHKIN 3200|80 gig SATA|DELL 1905FP 19" LCD|TRACKir PRO|PFC JEPPESEN MOONY YOKE|

Guest SuperFortress

>>> Simple really, you forget all about VNAV/LNAV at this point>and use LOC+APP. You are referring to the lack of a STAR right?

Most likely one would be vectored in the terminal area, in which case VNAV/LNAV would not be the way to go. Even on a STAR there is a point where you capture LOC and arm APP which will take care of the vertical and lateral path to the rwy. It's true you can do it a varity of ways depending on the approach but HDG SEL or LNAV to capture LOC looks what needs to be done here... And don't forget ALT HOLD ;-)[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]AMD 64 4000+|ASUS K8V DELUXE|SAPPHIRE ATI X800XT PE|MUNCHKIN 3200|80 gig SATA|DELL 1905FP 19" LCD|TRACKir PRO|PFC JEPPESEN MOONY YOKE|