Sign in to follow this  
cliffardus

Difficulty saving a Panel State

I pause my approach into Heathrow then save with the FSX Save Flight Menu .

I go into the PMDG Setup Menu, press STATE SAVE and give it a name.

I then receive a message that it’s being saved………….and that’s as far as I get.

Additionally at that stage there’s no way to exit Pause and I’m therefore forced to end the flight.

Perhaps I should also mention that a green border sometimes appears and surrounds the area used for writing the name.

When I load that saved flight I’m at the correct height and position BUT the aircraft is “cold and dark”

I’d appreciate any comments.

Cliff

Perhaps I should also mention that a green border sometimes appears and surrounds the area used for writing the name.

That suggests that the option to be able to use your computer keyboard to type into the FMC is active. Try clicking the box and it will go away and should allow you to unpause.

I don't think you can save panel state while the sim is paused. Normally, when I save a flight in FSX, the 777 automatically saves the panel state and loads it when I load the flight.

When I load that saved flight I’m at the correct height and position BUT the aircraft is “cold and dark”

Try unpausing the sim once you've loaded the flight. The aircraft can't initialize and load the panel state while paused. It's a bit fiddly and requires a bit of manual flying while the 20 seconds counts down.

Really helpful suggestions to try.

I suspect that they're spot on and I thank you both.

With my regards,

Cliff

I think, someone correct me if I'm wrong, the feature is not intended to be used while in flight.

During the 20 seconds or so that the plane is initializing it can plunge into the ground. You're not supposed to touch anything during that time.

Unfortunately I've never encountered a real truly good "save flight here" method for FSX so that I can turn the PC off, then back on, load it and that everything is EXACTLY as it was when I saved. 

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

You do

Additionally at that stage there’s no way to exit Pause and I’m therefore forced to end the flight.

I’d appreciate any comments.

Cliff

Hi, Cliff,

For what you are trying to do, you don't need to save the panel state separately.  Just pause the sim and save the flight as you would any other flight.  You don't need to do a separate panel state save.  I'm pretty sure you can save a panel state while in pause, but it isn't necessary for what you are trying to do.  You can certainly save a paused flight and the accompanying panel state will also be saved.

Using the FSX save flight function will  also save the panel state in the proper folder with the same name as the saved flight.  Look in FSX/PMDG/PMDG 777x/panelstates and you should see three files with the same name as the saved flight but ending in .FLT.fmc, FLT.sav and FLT.0.rte.  Sometimes there is also a file called FLT.1.rte.   (You should also see three files -- without "FLT" I believe -- for panel states you have saved directly using the CDU window.)  FSUIPC's Autosave function also saves correctly.  (The only addon I know of that doesn't work correctly is FS-Recorder, but you just have to rename the panel state files.)   If you are not seeing the three saved panel state files, you may have a write permissions problem, probably due to installing FSX in the programs(x86) folder.  I think this can be solved by running FSX as administrator.

I think PMDG777 is correct about the green border (and is correct about just saving the flight using FSX).

When I restart a saved flight, I click on slew (Y key) and unpause if necessary.  The countdown/initialization will work in slew mode if unpaused, avoiding the plane going out of control (sometimes it starts rotating but you can use the slew controls to get it to point in the right direction and stop moving).

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Mike forgive me for not responding more promptly but I've been away and  have only now read your helpful note.

Thank to so much!

Regards,

Cliff