Sign in to follow this  
pinsel

Changing Aircraft causes SLX Crash

Hi Walter,

I checked, but it doesn't look like I made a mistake. There should be a Freeimage.dll file and a FreeimageNET.dll file in the Common subfolder of the SLX installation folder. If these files are missing, please try to reinstall the latest version.

thanks, Maarten

Maarten Boelens ([m][a:][R][t][ʏ][n])
Developer of SimLauncherX

ftx_supporter_avsim.gifC172Siggy1_zps11944daf.jpg

Hi Maarten,

the FreeImage issue is now solved.

At first i tested an old freeware model (Howard 500 from Milton Shupe), everything in ext and vc is looking fine. No errors in log-file.

Then i loaded the CS C-130 exterior model. No error in log-file, the model looks fine but there is a big hole in the right wing. I can look through this hole into the plane.

When i swith to vc i get errors in the log:

20160410090314 Loading VC model for C-130T, US NAVY 'Blue Angels'

20160410090315 Unable to find texture with name: $C130_MAIN_R

20160410090315 Error getting empty background bitmap for gauge air_cabin_vertical "System.ArgumentException: Parameter is not valid.

at System.Drawing.Bitmap..ctor(Int32 width, Int32 height, PixelFormat format)

at MaartenBoelens.SimLauncherX.Model.XmlGauge`1.GetEmptyBackgroundBitmap(XElement gaugeElement)"

20160410090315 Error processing .cab file D:\FluSi\P3Dv3\simobjects\airplanes\cs_ex1_c130\panel\..\..\CS_C130\panel\Captain_Sim.c130.air.cab "System.ArgumentException: Parameter is not valid.

at System.Drawing.Bitmap..ctor(Int32 width, Int32 height, PixelFormat format)

at MaartenBoelens.SimLauncherX.Model.XmlGauge`1.GetEmptyBackgroundBitmap(XElement gaugeElement)

at MaartenBoelens.SimLauncherX.Model.XmlGauge`1.AddElementBitmaps(XDocument xDoc, IEnumerable`1 files, Bitmap panelBitmap)

at MoreLinq.MoreEnumerable.ForEach[T](IEnumerable`1 source, Action`1 action)

at MaartenBoelens.SimLauncherX.Model.XmlGaugeGroup..ctor(IGrouping`2 group, String simPath, AircraftVariation aircraftVariation, Bitmap panelBitmap)"

and all gauges are black or grey.

The Milviz 737 exterior model has some errors in the log-file but is looking good so far.

20160410090518 3D model for 737-200, Alaska Airlines loaded

20160410090618 Loading exterior 3D model for 737-200, Alaska Airlines

20160410090620 Unable to find texture with name: 737_200_9_C_SPECULAR.DDS

20160410090621 Unable to find texture with name: 737_200_7_C_SPECULAR.DDS

20160410090621 Unable to find texture with name: 737_200_8_C_SPECULAR.DDS

The same with vc:

20160410090827 Loading VC model for 737-200, Alaska Airlines

20160410090830 Unable to find texture with name: $B737_VC_10

20160410090830 Unable to find texture with name: $B737_VC_CB

20160410090830 Unable to find texture with name: $B737_VC_OVHD_2

some errors but looking good.

And very ugly the Dash-8 Q400. The exterior model generates no error, but the textures are scrambled and mirrored.

The vc shows some errors:

20160410091337 Loading VC model for MJC-8 Q400, Air Berlin

20160410091338 Unable to find texture with name: $VC4Q400

20160410091338 Unable to find texture with name: $VC1Q400

The same as the exterior, everything scrambled and mirrored.

Cheers, Walter.

Hi Walter,

C130: I will fix the error that occurs when loading the VC. I have no idea however why there's a hole in the right wing. Can you post a picture please? I do not have the C130 myself,

Milviz 737: can you find the 737_200_9_C_SPECULAR.DDS file in the aircraft folder somewhere? The textures that have a name in the .mdl file that starts with $ are the virtual cockpit panel textures. If you look in the panel.cfg file, you will find a [VCockpitxx] section with a texture= key that has the name of this texture (starting with $). The texture sheet for this part of the VC is a composite of the file= key and the bitmaps specified in the gauges. If there's no file= entry and there are no XML gauges (all gauges are of the .dll type), SLX is unable to compose the texture sheet and you will see the 'Unable to find texture' error message in the log file. The same occurs with the other aircraft.

Dash-8: can you please try to open the aircraft in ModelConverterX and toggle the 'FlipDDS' setting within the Options|Texture settings in ModelConverterX. Does the view in ModelConverterX correspond to what you see in SLX when you change the 'FlipDDS' settings and reload the textures? If so, I will add a checkbox to the 3D view to flip the DDS textures.

thanks, Maarten

Hi Maarten,

here is a picture of the C130:

dtq6qru2.jpg

737: I can't find 737_200_9_C_SPECULAR.DDS anywhere.

I'm not familiar with ModelConverterX, when i try to open any a/c with that porgram i see nothing but a light blue window.

Cheers, Walter.

Hi Walter,

I downloaded the demo of the CS C130 and I see the same 'hole' in the right wing as you do. I tried a lot of things, but so far I haven't been able to find the cause of the issue. SLX is based on WPF 3D and WPF is known for having transparency issues because it has only limited color blending options. Transparent objects should be added to the model after the non-transparent objects, but sometimes you have a situation where (from the camera's point of view) a non-transparent object is sandwiched between two transparent objects and the problem cannot be solved. The strange thing is that the texture is question (C130_6_T.dds) does not have any transparency at all in that area. When I remove the alpha channel altogether the problem is still there, but when I replace the texture with a simple non-transparent color, the 'hole' is gone.

To open an aircraft in ModelConverterX, just select the aircraft within SLX and select 'Open in ModelConverterX' on the ribbon.

thanks, Maarten

Hi Maarten,

i did so, selected an a/c and clicked on 'Open in ModelConverterX' (i got the version 1.3.0.0). Only a blue window appears.

So i had a look into the recent files list, the latest entry is 'D:\FluSi\P3Dv3\simobjects\airplanes\mjc8q400\aircraft.cfg'. 

I tried to import that file manually and nothing happend. Then i opened the '.mdl' file and the model was displayed.

It seems, ModelConverterX can't handle aircraft.cfg files. 

I think, you should launch ModelConverterX with the destected .mdl file instead the .cfg as parameter.

20160412082431 Exterior .mdl file for aircraft variation MJC8Q400_BER detected as D:\FluSi\P3Dv3\simobjects\airplanes\mjc8q400\model\mjc_q400_ext.mdl

20160412082447 Launching D:\FluSi\ModelConverterX_130\ModelConverterX.exe with arguments D:\FluSi\P3Dv3\simobjects\airplanes\mjc8q400\aircraft.cfg

The Dash in SLX:

xankxetg.jpg

and in MCX:

mr8h29hl.jpg

I switched the FlipDDS setting, but i don't know how to reload the textures.

Cheers, Walter.

Hi Walter,

I'm using the latest development release of ModelConverterX (1.4.x.x). Maybe that makes the diffierence. This release loads aircraft.cfg files just fine. I also see in your picture of 1.3 that a texture reload button is missing on the second toolbar. If using the 1.3 version, just restart ModelConverterX after changing the FlipDDS setting. I will send you a pm with a link to a test version this evening. This test version includes a 'flip textures' checkbox at the top left of the 3D window.

thanks, Maarten

Hi Maarten,

i just downloaded the latest MCX (1.4.something) and it is able to handle the aircraft.cfgs.

I made the changes to the FlipDDS flag and reloaded the textures. There is no visible difference.

Cheers, Walter.

Hi Walter,

There must be a change when you flip the .dds textures. Sometimes you have to click 2 or 3 times on the reload button until you see that the model is actually reloading.

thanks, Maarten

Hi Maarten,

i opened an aother a/c with MCX, changed the FlipDDS flag and it worked like aspected.

The Dash is a little bit strange. FlipDDS changes nothing in the view.

So i installed your test-version of SLX.

With every a/c i see changes except the Dash:

The only thing you can see is a very small change of the lighting.

7xn3ltdh.jpg

huc4acvw.jpg

Cheers, Walter