Sign in to follow this  
b00ts

How to use flight plan created at Skyvector?

What extensions does P3D recognize? I've been using Aivlasoft's EFB, so this is new. I create a flight plan at Skyvector's website and then copy the route and load it up in Simbrief. I've tried downloading all the different flight plans and the only one that shows up is the FSX .pln, but then it's a completely different route and altitude setup. No matter what route I choose, P3D loads the .pln file as the same route every time. Skyvector has a "Send Plan to" feature, but it exports to ForeFlight, .flp, or .gpx.

Any other ideas for flight planning. I enjoyed Aivlasoft's EFB, but not $70 worth.

Why not just copy the route from skyvector and paste it into EFB? You can then export from EFB to P3d or whatever.

Because the full EFB license is $60 :sad:

Ah I misunderstood I thought you owned the program and were disappointed you'd spent the money.I take it you used the trial then. 

How about Plan G , have you given that a shot yet? It's free and an excellent program that has a moving map You can plan your route on that and save it in it's native format and also export it as a .pln

Edit: Skyvector works but they don't support flight sims and tell you that when you create a plan, thats why there is no sim formats because it's for real world.

I should have been a bit more clear lol. I know Skyvector is for real world flights. I get the routes from there and copy/paste them to simbrief. Simbrief has a download feature for .pln, but when I load that in P3D, it's not even remotely close to the validated flight plan I made and saved as a .pln.

Hi Folks,

Personally - I now use a combination of Alex's Little Navmap plus FltPlan.com to generate flight plans based on real world flights... Both are free... FltpPlan.com provides the real world aircraft performance and real world routes - Little Navmap takes that information and generates the necessary files needed for - in my case - P3D...

One of Little Navmap's best features is it can read your scenery.cfg and database all your installed airports - so when planning flights you can choose to graphically display only those improved airports you actually have installed on the included map - if so desired... It makes planning a flight so much easier - especially when you have a large number of improved airports such as ORBX Freeware and/or ORBX Regions...

If you happen to live in North America and have a tablet - FltPlan.com also has a full blown FREE tablet app called "FltPlan GO" (apple, android, windows) Electronic Flight Bag that includes your typical moving map software with connections to flight simulator (FSX/P3D/XP) and is the ONLY source in the world that I'm aware of that offers FREE geo-referenced approach plates and taxi diagrams...

Did I mention the FREE part - LOL ?

https://fltplan.com/

Little Navmap (displaying only airports I have Addon Scenery for)

LNV_zpspndtb1ig.png

FltPlan GO on iPad

1963e92e307c2a22c1723c2fa228c84c_zpsdcqu

4e21dc27fbf02287361d2bf2002a2d38_zps4fvr

FltPlan GO (Geo-Referenced Approach Plate)

8d9611c3a99d92a181241cb18480c115_zpseeou

Regards,

Scott

• Upvote 2

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

I use Little Navmap in combination  with the Flightaware.com IFR flight analyzer:

http://flightaware.com/statistics/ifr-route/

It's the lazy way of generating  a flight plan based on the most common flight plans between two airports. The only drawback is that your aircraft has to be both able and eligible  to fly the flight plan.

• Upvote 1

Thanks, Scott for the tip re Little Navmap.  I have been using Fltplan and Fltplan Go and agree it is fantastic.  I will try out Little Navmap.  Would you be able to list out briefly the steps you would use for a short GA flight using Little Navmap?  For example, when you save the flight plan does it automatically appear in the P3D list of available flight plans?  And if you save it also as a Garmin Flight Plan file, does it appear in the GTN750 stored list (assuming you have a GTN750)?  Also, is there any link with AS16 and the flight plans listed in it?   Up to now, I have been entering the AS16 plan, then opening P3D and loading the GTN750 plan, then opening Fltplan Go, etc.  This takes time and having one program like Little Navmap that would do several steps would be great.  Thanks for your help and advice.

Mike Hamilton

Mike Hamilton

Hi Mike,

Sure - doesn't really consolidate much - as I still use both apps...

First I look at the global weather picture on the NOAA AWC Website - the site has really improved over the years and is very useful now - displays METAR/WINDS/RADAR so I can easily/quickly determine what kind of weather I want to fly in...

http://www.aviationweather.gov/

Then start Little Navmap (LNM) - so I can easily pick two airports that have been improved in my sim - as I don't do "default" airports...

When two airports are chosen - I plug them into Fltplan web site - I actually use their real world profiles for fuel burn so I select the appropriate aircraft (FltPlan seems to have a performance profile for just about every GA Aircraft and Biz Jet ever made) - then the screen comes up with routing - normally I looks for "Last Approved ATC Routing" and choose that for added realism - if nothing seems appropriate I'll look at other routing sources - then save the flight plan... I now know approximately how long it should take with given weather - how much fuel I need for my chosen aircraft  - how high I am flying - and how I'm getting from point A to point B... With the Flight Plan saved on the website - I can now load it on my tablet and FltPlan GO... Finally - I copy the routing to the windows clipboard...

Back to LNM - it has the ability to "Import Flight Plan from Clipboard" - I do that - now the flight plan is loaded...  LNM has a vertical profile window - so I check ground clearance... LNM has complete airport diagrams if you zoom in far enough with all the parking illustrated - when you save - LNM it prompts you to pick a departure spot - I do and save... The saved Flight Plan is full FSX/P3D format so I can now load it into AS16/RC4/P3D at will...

I close the Fltplan website - close LNM - then launch the Fltplan GO app to import my Flight Plan and P3D to navigate off my tablet...

I'm pretty sure LNM has an option to save for the GTN - never used it though as the GTN has Airways built into the database which makes loading a Flight Plan a breeze - so I just do that manually...

LNM is still a work in progress - hopefully we'll see some aeronautical charts added... Alex already mentioned that he has the facilities to display airspaces and such - just not enabled yet (currently VOR, NDB, AIRWAYS, JETWAYS, and INTERSECTIONS are included) - so it seems there are more good things on the horizon - it's obviously a labor of love and it's very polished now...

One issue that pops up with LNM is I believe the NAVDATA is taken from the original FSX/P3D database - so when things change there are unknown waypoints from time to time... Following Alex's progress on FSDeveloper - he plans on including updatable NAVDATA in the next release...

Hope that helps...

Regards,
Scott

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, scottb613 said:

Back to LNM - it has the ability to "Import Flight Plan from Clipboard" - I do that - now the flight plan is loaded...  LNM has a vertical profile window - so I check ground clearance... LNM has complete airport diagrams if you zoom in far enough with all the parking illustrated - when you save - LNM it prompts you to pick a departure spot - I do and save... The saved Flight Plan is full FSX/P3D format so I can now load it into AS16/RC4/P3D at will...

o.O  I have to give this a try.  I often sit at my sim thinking about how picking a parking spot from a list is so stupid.  You have no idea where they are, mostly, and just take a guess.  P3D should have it built in with a map of the airport and parking spots...you type in an airport, see a map, click your parking spot, done and done.  That's how it should be.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

15 hours ago, mhamilto said:

Thanks, Scott for the tip re Little Navmap.  I have been using Fltplan and Fltplan Go and agree it is fantastic.  I will try out Little Navmap.  Would you be able to list out briefly the steps you would use for a short GA flight using Little Navmap?  For example, when you save the flight plan does it automatically appear in the P3D list of available flight plans?  And if you save it also as a Garmin Flight Plan file, does it appear in the GTN750 stored list (assuming you have a GTN750)?  Also, is there any link with AS16 and the flight plans listed in it?   Up to now, I have been entering the AS16 plan, then opening P3D and loading the GTN750 plan, then opening Fltplan Go, etc.  This takes time and having one program like Little Navmap that would do several steps would be great.  Thanks for your help and advice.

Mike Hamilton

Hi Gregg,

LOL - yep - same deal - it's a slick little tool and officially retired my FSBuild after many years of dedicated service...

Regards,
Scott 

Thanks Scott.. just wanted you to know you are helping more than the others in this thread.  Your procedures for setting up a flight are inspiring and I am looking forward to trying out this process.  I know we both enjoy the recent ORBX sceneries in New England and I am SO looking forward to checking out Bar Harbor and Block Island when the warm weather returns for this spring season. Like you, I have used Ernie's FSBuild for over a decade now and will not know how to act if it is "retired"  :biggrin:

WAT1460.png