Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

How to speed up AI traffic turnaround?

Does anyone know a 3rd. party utility - assuming it can't be done from within FS9 itself -  (I have dozens installed but couldn't find one to do this) that will tweak the length of time that ATC makes AI traffic hold short at a runway because of other AI aircraft coming in to land? At present it is way too long. ATC will not give take off permission, even though the incoming plane is some minutes away (I haven't counted how many exactly) and often the waiting a/c just disappears from the screen before it gets a chance to move onto the runway. I would like to be able to tweak the setting so that ATC instructs AI a/c to line up and then take off when landing AI traffic is a lot closer to the landing than at present.

Thanks...

No ideas on this? It is quite frustrating with aircraft in front of you queuing for take-off: AI traffic appears, eventually lands and clears the runway but the aircraft waiting are not given clearance to taxi into position for take-off.

It's not an AFCAD issue. It seems to be because there is still inbound traffic - but it can be some minutes before the a/c even makes its appearance on the horizon, let alone lands and starts taxiing. Lots of time for probably two AI a/c to take off.

Any solution/tweak?

1. Go into Settings/Traffic and set the slider to 0.

2. Get clearance from ATC.

3. Go back into Settings/Traffic and re-set the slider.

This works on approach too - no more go-arounds.

If ATC appears it's going to be reasonable, I will wait for a short period but if it gets silly as in the examples you are mentioning, I just ignore ATC and clear myself!

Mark Daniels

Fs isn't designed to handle the kind of AI loads we throw at it. So helping it do so is a multifaceted science with tools covering everything from airport parking and runway useage to ai aircraft themselves. Regarding Ai traffic, here's a few things I remember: Here in the library, fs9 configurator 'fs9cfg16.zip' can be used to increase taxi speed as mentioned, while Ai Separation 'fsaisv1.1.zip' can be used to improve Ai traffic efficiency. Also Google 'AiSmooth', which often is used in conjunction with Ai Separation, or just by itself. It's still available all over the place.

Regards,

Mark

Hi. Thanks - I already have fs9 configurator, Ai Separation and 'AiSmooth in fact: have used the last two for years.

I tend not to load them now as I use a 3rd. party programme for ATC, Oncourse Software's PF3, which is pretty impressive - I found that those two programmes did not really help anything when PF3 is running. PF3 is pretty complex, and actually taking off without permission can lead to problems later. (I recommend PF3 by the way. The support is the best I have ever had - for anything!).

In any case, it's not my user aircraft that is the problem -  as I say, it is the other AI traffic that is queued up for take off in front of me, and which seems not to enter the runway unless it has at least five minutes clear. That's an FS9 issue - PF3 does not control the traffic, but the ATC.

I believe it is possible to tweak the distance at which AI will receive landing clearance but it has to be done for each ILS and airfield individually. The biggest hurdle I find is that AI aircraft are cleared to land miles out and you have to sit there and wait for them to arrive - by which time the next one's been cleared and on and on. I think the tweak can be done using ADE9 but as I've never mastered that particular tool, I can't tell you how it's done or how effective it is.

What does help, though it's a pretty rough and ready solution, is to use the Traffic Zap key in the registered version of FSUIPC. There's a nice, satisfying "bang" and all the AI traffic around you disappears... LOL If you've been sitting there waiting to take off for 15 minutes, it's actually quite gratifying!!! =@ New traffic will gradually appear again by which time you've taken off and are happily on your way.

Your frustration with this aspect of FS has been shared by many of us over the years, and sadly the MS team never responded to requests that they improve the coding that determines how AI is handled.

Cheers

Ian

I believe it is possible to tweak the distance at which AI will receive landing clearance

:smile:

but it has to be done for each ILS and airfield individually

:sad:  

I think the tweak can be done using ADE9

.. I haven't seen that: I'll have a look and post back with anything worthwhile.

use the Traffic Zap key in the registered version of FSUIPC

Yes, I use that too - oddly satisfying, isn't it!? :Devil: