Sign in to follow this  
thepilot

Most realistic viewpoint?

CTRL/Shift/Backspace/Enter

You did have the center mouse click pan active in EZDOK, didn't you? 

Your preference is your preference, but the mouse pan feature for me is hands down better then the hat toggle or pressing keys to pan. You don't have to constantly switch between keypad/ joystick and mouse when it comes time to press a button too. 

How far back do you adjust your "seat" (or rather, viewpoint) then?

The more zoom, the farther I have to go back to have a decent overview of the instrumentation.

I look straight down then move my view back until it's a few inches in front of the backrest--about where I estimate my eyeballs would be if I was sitting back in the seat in a normal posture. Then I adjust the zoom accordingly. I use a wide aspect with .8-1.0 zoom depending on the aircraft and flight conditions.
  • Upvote 1

You did have the center mouse click pan active in EZDOK, didn't you?

Yes, I'm still using it every now and then and have tried quite a few settings. I don't like using the mouse to adjust the view in general, and it probably wouldn't be worth it just for a relatively short check in the beginning of the flight. I like keeping it as real as possible (hence my initital question), and a pilot has to be able to reach all areas required for flight operation from his seat, so that is what I'm striving to recreate :smile: For that matter, once boarding is complete and the doors are closed, I don't change the view (to outside, wingview etc.) anymore. I quite liked the EZDOK FMS/EFIS view though.

Set to 80 and the problems with view is why I use two monitors one above the other

mine.jpg

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Hello all,

I would like to know what settings I should use for zoom, (seat) height and possibly lateral (left/right) position to have the most realistic viewpoint, i.e. "what the pilot would see". I realize there may be some constraints in FSX and maybe even pilot preferences, so an approximation will do just fine. :smile:

Thank you very much.

I noticed a commonality with all the responses here.  Everyone's POV is slightly different so there really isn't any textbook or true viewpoint you should be using.  If you are curious, go to Youtube and watch some cockpit vids of commercial pilots in their seats.  You can get a better idea of where you view should be placed in relation to a human being seated in the seat, but also understand that your real world height, or ergonomic profile differs from everyone else.  When I fly, I constantly adjust my view, sometimes a little unrealistic, just to get a better view outside but as long as you can see the primary instruments at all times, you are good to go.  

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

What does FCOM mean?

See here:  https://www.allacronyms.com/FCOM/aviation  :)

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

I have tried a lot to find a good balance (for me). Unfortunately, there is no way to reproduce the feeling of seating inside the cockpit. So you have to make compromises.

Here is what I do now:

- zoom .60

- center of the PFD

- move the seat forward or aft to set the flaps gauge at the right border of the screen

For departure and arrival, I use pop-ups.

Happy flying

• Upvote 1

I noticed a commonality with all the responses here.

Indeed, aside from the personal preferences I would also add different setups, i.e. more/larger screens that ultimately lead to different settings. As said I'm dreaming of a 4K monitor right now (still using an oldish 21" Samsung LCD) and see how it (hopefully) enhances the whole experience.

I am still glad that I started this thread and got so many responses; I have since decided to revert to the standard viewpoint and after my first flight in that setting I am more than happy with it.