Sign in to follow this  
jandjfrench

What is Flight Toolkit?

Hi,

I was going to ask a question in the pinned thread regarding Flight Toolkit but seeing as the last thread is dated Oct 31, 2014 I thought perhaps a new post was in order.

I've been reading over the tutorials hoping to get an understanding of what Flight Toolkit is.  My question boils down to this; is Flight Toolkit a program that allows modifications to Flight or does it become an integral  part of Flight?  My concern has been that if installed it might alter Flight in some irreversible way.  If it allows modification to the elements of Flight and is a stand alone program then my concerns are unfounded.

From what I've read it sounds fantastic and it sounds as though Flight is more than alive.

Jim F.

Flight Toolkit allows modifications to Flight, but if you want to take full advantage of it, you should set it to Non-GfWL mode which will alter Flight itself by removing GfWL and connecting to a private server for aerocaches.

is Flight Toolkit a program that allows modifications to Flight or does it become an integral part of Flight?

It allows modifications. It latches onto Flight and adds one .dll file to the root install folder for non-GFWL mode. Can easily be removed and does not become an integral part of the program.

It has several cool features:

• Easy installation of new liveries
  • Allows conversion of FSX airfcraft into ones Flight can use
  • Allows default FSX scenery to be imported
  • Aerocache support
  • Allows devs to add custom/Misc items as well as adjust any Core file
  • Object Browser for viewing in-game models
  • Abillity to convert and compile Simprop binary files
  • Live SimData Editor to view specific Flight Variables whilst you are in game....

...and lots more!

If you use GFWL mode I believe one of the Flight files are modified, but uninstall of Flight Toolkit should remove all added files and changes and Flight will be back to what it was before.

Hi,

Thank you all for the replies.

I just have one concern before proceeding and that's where I have Flight currently installed.  I somehow missed the option to choose my desired folder and let it install to the default.  Will I have any problems with permission issues by just leaving it there?  I'm somewhat concerned with the reliability of GFWL but am willing to take a chance on re-installing if it's beneficial.

Jim F.

No. That should be fine. The install location is saved in the registry and that's hwo the toolkit determines where to add the neccessary files.

Hi J. D,

My concern was wanting to install Flight to an empty 240GB SSD.  I bit the bullet and deleted Flight and found that I was never given the option to install elsewhere.  If space ever becomes a problem I'll move the files and create links.

Also, on the 25th of March, I created 2 new posts; one advising that GFWL was active and another requesting installation advice.  My browser indicates 0 views and 0 replies to both.  Yet this thread shows 94 views which seems to indicate a certain level of interest in Flight.  This seems odd and my concern is that perhaps someone has viewed, replied and I'm just not seeing it.  I don't want anyone to think that I'm ignoring a reply.  Strange anyway.

Jim F.

Huh...that's wierd Jim. It occasionally happens. I've definitely viewed at least one of your threads.

I'm not seeing any replies on both threads. There's really nothing special you need to know about with regards to the install process.

What is wierd is that you couldn't instal Flight in another directory. I'm 100% sure that you should've had this option.

Anyway, the install location should not matter that much.

Hi Folks

Jim - AIUI

FLIGHT is a GFWL game.

GFWL controls the location of installation.

FLIGHT is being installed correctly

into your previously chosen location, (or default)

as defined in your GFWL 'Settings'.

Can't confirm exact instructions,

as my GFWL client keeps crashing, and won't update.

Launch GFWL Client,

open 'Settings',

change the 'Game' folder to point at your SSD.

Note -

Only guessing here -

GFWL only supports one 'Games' folder.

Any other GFWL games you have already installed

will probably have to be re-downloaded

and installed to that new location.

HTH
ATB
Paul

Hi Paul,

I checked the Settings and see where I can choose the location. I'm tempted to re-install but it seems that there are problems downloading.  The last time I downloaded there was quite  a bit of hesitation.  I may be pushing my luck.  I'd like to create an "FS" folder on my SSD and then any other programs related to Flight will be directed to that folder;  Thanks!

Hi,

In the GFW Marketplace Settings I deleted Flight, chose my desired install location and while I was there I saw that I could also choose the DLC location.  I downloaded Flight once again and the DLC up to the Alaska expansion and files associated with it. So now, except for the Controls and Configs everything is co-located on my SSD.  One of the downloads had a problem and I had to retry but no other problems.  While checking out the Download content files I noticed that each contained a PNG pertaining to the contents so I used it to customize each folder. Here's the result:

DLC.jpg

May come in handy if I ever want to (and learn how) modify some aspect of the addon.  I'm not sure how much longer I can hold off downloading Alaska and then Flight Toolkit.

Jim F.

Editing previously installed default Addons may cause issues as Flight uses meta files to check for corruption, it may be better to simply extract the files - edit them and then create a new addon using the Flight Toolkit.

(dot)PAK files are just zip files and can be extracted using most common zip utilities. Also you may want to disable the original addon before enabling any custom edited ones with the toolkit to prevent overwriting the same files.

I do not suggest you mess with any of the payware addons tho, these are likely to have license files/reg entries that will also cause errors I would guess.

Thanks AirWayMan,  

Sounds like very good advice.  I've been using a freeware program called MemPad to save info that I feel may come in handy and I have a "Flight" section to which I'll add a sub-category called "File editing" to which I'll copy the info you provided.

Jim F.

Don't be afraid to install the toolkit, most Flight users here have it installed because it allows 3 things that will improve your enjoyment.

1- the addition of repaints for all the aircraft (most are available in the Avsim Library)

2- the conversion of the entire world (if you own any version of FSX)

3- the ability to use multiplayer again

number 1 and 3 are pretty straight forward and easy to do, converting FSX scenery will take a little work and time but its not terribly difficult, if you wish I will happily post the cmd file I use to do it.