Sign in to follow this  
Heimi

DTG Flight School available on STEAM

Did someone say Ice? Visible ice on a cub! I'm in.

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Did someone say Ice? Visible ice on a cub! I'm in.

Ray

Watch the video!

For that little bit of money, I'm sold. $17 (CDN) is well within the amount that I'll toss in to try something out. 

I was concerned that none of the screenshots (ignore the video) on Steam showed an in-cockpit viewpoint, but their latest FB post shows at least the mesh of the inside of the Cherokee, so that concern is put to bed.

I actually think that this is a pretty slick move by DTG; that price point is going to get a lot of non-sim people to try it out, plus get a good portion of our existing crowd to take a toss at it too.

• Upvote 1

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Watch the video!

The icing wasn't real in the video it was just a rendering and it says in small print "Not in game footage."

I was surprised as well and thought the video looked good until I realized it was mostly a lot of video rendering and not real in game footage.

Basically the video was rendering like the old "God rays" rendering we got in that old screen shot from ACES.

BTW, I hate when they dress up videos to make them look much better than the actual prodcut does and leads to a lot of prepurchase misconceptions from people who don't see the small print saying not in game.

• Upvote 2

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Watch the video!

That video states that it is not in-game footage so caution required here.

Hope it is not a repeat of that infamous lake and mountain promo shot for FSX (?).

(Beat me by 60 seconds)

gb

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Missed that guys. Thanks for pointing it out.

That video states that it is not in-game footage so caution required here.

Hope it is not a repeat of that infamous lake and mountain promo shot for FSX (?).

There were a few outside shots of the plane if I recall, with one showing an amazing sunrise and some nice clouds. I wonder if these outside shots were rendered or are in-game footage. If the latter, then that would be a big step up in atmosphere (no pun intended :wink: ).

For example, check out that sky and cloud textures at 0:22. The rendering of the plane and airport look like real footage but the sky looks too good to be true.

Also at 1:06 we see an unbroken cloud layer reminiscent of what was achieved by Sky Max V3 in X-Plane 10. I am guessing these have been added separately as compared to the clouds in the screenshots, they look much better.

You mentioned that $5 FSX Steam is when it is on sale. Which I am sure you will find Flight School on sale at some point. The base price is $24.99 which is significantly higher than this simulator even though it is a tweaked re-release of a 10 year old sim. 

Flight school is something different. Custom objects, ORBX Global, 64 bit, HDR, DX11, the list goes on and on. It is a far more modern simulator developed by DTG directly and is optimized for modern hardware. 

The problem with old FSX is that it has voice over instruction. Nothing to the level that has been explained in DTG Flight Simulator. It is a brand new experience for a modern simmer, not a 10 year old one. Those $60 products are in no way marketed towards nor built for new flight sim enthusiasts in this way. They are offered as FSX alternatives, lacking even the most elementary FSX tutorials and guides that gave new simmers an entry point there. 

So yes, I do imply that they are overpriced for someone who is looking to start flight simming from day one. To ask someone, likely young, to come up with $60 which is as much as a AAA software title in todays market, is a high bar to entry and will likely turn more people away at the door than this.

Sorry, but the logic is still flawed. Same reasoning would say any product "X" is overpriced just because you want to know/learn/use just one feature of it...

Not *needing* feature "x" and implying something that has a whole alphabet of features are two distinct topics....

So yes, they are not *targeted* at that. But they are definitely not "over priced" (not even the "10 year old" fsx...)

Safest to assume that none of the trailer represents in-game footage and just go by what is shown on the Insomnia57 videos. I assume the trailer is just to demonstrate the consequences of going flying without any training to non simmers. Hopefully DTG will start sharing in-game footage soon as promised.

I've pre-ordered anyway and since it had nothing with the trailer I won't be disappointed if the actual product doesn't have ice etc. :)

Give people power to really test their personality.

Like many others, I have spent $15 on far less.  Pre-ordered, and hopeful!

Always remember to Find Your FUN!

-Bob

Preordered! This is good timing actually, my flying skills are getting rusty, back to school for me.  :Big Grin:

Barry Friedman

Count me in. I'm gonna learn to fly!  :BigGrin:

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

Safest to assume that none of the trailer represents in-game footage and just go by what is shown on the Insomnia57 videos. I assume the trailer is just to demonstrate the consequences of going flying without any training to non simmers. Hopefully DTG will start sharing in-game footage soon as promised.

I've pre-ordered anyway and since it had nothing with the trailer I won't be disappointed if the actual product doesn't have ice etc. :)

I hope you're right about their intention actually.

I'd assumed that they were trying to show to the uninitiated how exciting flight simming can be, which seemed a bit silly to me, to be doing it in that manner.

I've pre-ordered as well, despite the video.

I'm optimistic about the future of flight simming.

(I hope that Flight School is a good product and that people don't expect too much from it.  I hope that Dovetail have and will talk to add-on developers saying, "What is it about FSX that most gets in your way?" and that they improve FSX as the add-on developers would like.  I also think that add-on developers will need to follow the business over to DFS and that people such as me who bought P3D in the past will also jump onboard DFS).

edit: Just watched it again.  The pilot seemed to solve the problem by calmly pressing the engine start button, increasing the throttle and climbing above the clouds.

Still don't quite understand that video.  :smile:

• Upvote 1

Tony Holmes

xplane 12, MSFS, Windows 10, Ryzen 5600x, 32gb, RX 6800XT.

You know that giving these guys money will only encourage them... :smile:

Heck, for $15 I'm in.  Can't be any worse than what I went though with my last pre-ordered sim, IL-2 Cliffs of Dover ($45, and it was a total, frickin' disaster which never amounted to anything IMO).

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

Flight school? So wheres the auto programming FMS that syncs to my flightplan program and the autoland button? Seems this sim could actually come in handy for some. ;)  Myself included I'm sure!

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS