Sign in to follow this  
will7370

FSX recommendation needed for my old computer

I'm a newbie to the list here.  Been about 10 years since I flight simmed with the original FSX.  I need a recommendation.  I've got an old computer upstairs in my game room that I want to load with some type of Microsoft Flight Sim for occasional use.  From what reading I have done, I see that flight sim has changed a great deal since I was active 10 years ago.  So I need a recommendation for a program to take full advantage of this older computer's resources, without over taxing it.  Here are the specs for the computer I have in mind:

Type: Dell Optiplex 755

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 @ 3.00GHz

RAM: 4.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 399MHz

Motherboard: Dell Inc. 0GM819 (CPU)

Graphics: Dell 1704FPT (1280x1024@75Hz)
256MB NVIDIA Quadro NVS 290 (NVIDIA)

Not much to work with, but like I said, it's in the game room for occasional use.  What would be the best FS option to go with, using the older configuration above?  I can't do much more to upgrade it.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Nothing wrong with FSX, especially if you still have the discs!  If no discs, then FSX-SE is or was on sale for cheap!  I'm

running FSX with 2 tin cans connected by string. :wink:   2 GHZ processor with 2GB ram.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

I had heard that FSX came in Standard, Deluxe and Gold editions.  Also that Microsoft had released FSX Service Packs 1 and 2, and another one years later called Acceleration.  Then there's the Steam edition.  Just curious which one would be best on my computer configuration mentioned above.  Also if there were any issues running it on a Vista OS.

My first FSX computer was somewhat similar to what you have.  Differences in mine were the video card and operating system.  I had, and still have, Windows XP and my video card was an Nvidia 8800GT factory overclocked.  It ran FSX Acceleration pretty well, but graphics sliders had to be pulled back to about their middle settings.  I found that overclocking my CPU helped a little with smoothness, but I do not recommend overclocking with the stock Intel CPU heatsink and fan.  As for your system, your video card was designed for business computers, so it may prove to be inadequate.  The biggest problems with the Windows Vista operating system is that it tends to be a resource hog, a bit slow, and it's security system can sometimes interfere with programs.  I would recommend installing FSX to its own directory, not the default C:/Program Files directory.  This help you to avoid a lot of problems.

• Upvote 1

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Welcome to the forums. You could go with either FS2004 or FSX. If you opt for FSX, go with the Steam Edition from Dovetail Games. You can buy it right now for USD$7.99 so even if it didn't work out well not much is lost  (  www.dovetailgames.com  ). The Steam Edition is a re-release of FXS Gold and, as such, includes Acceleration and the service packs. And follow stans really good advice above  about installing it outside the normal location.

Doug

PS: Just an afterthought. FS2004 is, by far, going to be the best performer on your aging system. But, that said, for the price I'd try FSX:SE first and only go to FS2004 as a fallback.

• Upvote 1

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.