Hello fellow simmers:

I am a low end computer user and I love playing FSX. Here is my spec: i5-3230M @ 2.6 Ghz; 12GB RAM and Nvidia GeForce GT740M. Not a great setup and I don't know if this is asking for too much out of it. Here are the settings: LOD Radius: Large; Mesh Complexity: 20; Mesh Resolution: 5m; Texture Resolution: 15cm; Water Effects: Mid 1x; Scenery Complexity: Normal; Auto-Gen Density: Sparse. Weather settings all on minimum. With PMDG 777 on approach to FsDreamTeam's Vancouver, I only get about 8 frames with the best combination of tweaks I can find, is this asking for too much out of my system? I really want to fly with this kind of detail, but if it's asking for too much, what is the best way to get more framerates with as little loss in quality as possible?

Haoning Qu

It's not really your settings, it's your addons.  Two of the most resource hungry addons right off the bat....  

You can try texture resolution to 1m but basically you're running a slow CPU and marginal video card.

Make sure you have self shadows and bloom disabled for sure..and disable AI traffic.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Shadows and traffic are both disabled and I run FSX in DX10; DX9 produces about 2 fps. The texture resolution is set to 15cm because that's the minimum for 3D taxiway bridges etc., but I'll try 1m. Also, how do an i7 6700K 4.0Ghz and an 8GB GeForce 980M sound to you? Will that be good enough for about 20fps on FSX and P3D with the same settings (no idea what the setting options are for P3D)? I know it's hard to be exact, but educated guesses are good enough, I don't want to spend CAD$3700 without having some idea about the results.

Haoning Qu

I think you're asking for too much indeed given your specs.

FSX absolutely needs a fast CPU. You'll have to overclock to see some improvement.

Also flying the PMDG 777 to an addon airport won't help with the FPS. Whats your priority? The plane or the airport? Get rid of the one that's less important to you.

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

I think you're asking for too much indeed given your specs.

FSX absolutely needs a fast CPU. You'll have to overclock to see some improvement.

Also flying the PMDG 777 to an addon airport won't help with the FPS. Whats your priority? The plane or the airport? Get rid of the one that's less important to you.

Won't be able to overclock a laptop cpu.

Sorry, but that computer will not allow you to fly FSX at high detail settings.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.