Sign in to follow this  
lcseale53

Thank Goodness This Day's Over

For the third time in six weeks we've taken the eye of a hurricane, and today was the worst yet. We were HAMMERED all day with cat II winds gusting to 117 mph. Trees down everywhere - more home damage and destruction, but this time the airport (Lakeland, Fl) was hit. We've been extremely fortunate with the last two but this time a couple of hangar rows sustained damage with some a/c damage as well.This time though, the wind pushed in my own hangar doors. Though still attached at the top, the bottom of the doors pushed back about three feet into the hangar, and appeared ready to finish the fall if another gust hit. As fortune would have it, I had flown one of our two planes to my Dad's place in Alabama to avoid Frances three weeks ago(but then Ivan ran up through there pounding everything anyway). Resisting the temptation to retrieve it I left it up there just in case Jeanne departed the projected path - which it did with a vengeance. Had I brought it back and stowed it in its normal place with the other one, I would have sustained sever damage to both of them. btw - these are family heirloom a/c, with one of them in our possession since 1956...this could have been absolutely devastating.With the help of my hangar neighbors were able to reset my doors (and another set as well) as the eye passed over. I am a blessed individual this evening as we only had minor damage to the house, and my family is fine.I know there are other simmers in the area that have taken this beating as well. How did you all fare?Exhausted,Leon

I'm with you brother aviator! A couple more aircraft were damaged at Orlando Executive (KORL). On the news, they showed a C172/182 upsidedown. They indicated the owner desided to try an ride it out.Personally didn't received anymore damage, just cleanup leaves, minor limbs, etc.Glad you got the hangar doors secured and you are safe.W. Sieffert

Thanks W. Let's hope the hounds of hurricane hell are satisfied for a while. And we sure don't need to lose any more airplanes to the elements.Regards - with chainsaw in handLeon

I've been praying hard for you folks.Hope all of you and yours rode out the storm OK.I was in Orlando between Charlie and the next one. ..Hard tofind street signs as they were all blown down or cork screwedso as to make it hard to find your way around.Living in "Tornado Alley" I can surely relate to what you're goingthrough.May God bless and keep you!DN

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers DN. I'm sure W. Sieffert, and others in the area appreciate it as well. The season's worst may be over but the analysts are saying this may be the beginning of a long cycle of multiple hits. Let's hope those predictions share the same accuracy as the tracking models. Thanks again,Leon