Sign in to follow this  
Guest Adverse Yawn

Icing

Does FS9 simulate icing? (besides pitot icing)I use ActiveSky 2004.5 for weather, does it simulate icing?Thanks in advance!-=MAB=-

Guest Simicro

Right Jim, the Flight1 ATR for instance.Too bad that G/A designers do not model it. When they exist, the anti-ice and de-ice switches are clickable but not functional.

Guest jgreth123

Didn't Bill Lyons also do it in at least one of his planes?The Grumman Goose is one example.

One of the freeware Russian planes actually ices up the windshield. Can't remember which offhand (says he, digging into 8,000 aircraft ....)MarkMark "Dark Moment" BeaumontVP Fleet, DC-3 AirwaysTeam Member, MAAM-SIM[a href=http://www.swiremariners.com/cathayhk.html" target="_blank]http://www.paxship.com/maamlogo2.jpg[/a]

so does the Hilmerby DC9 panel/plane combo :)(which,incidentally,is a real gem icw CIVA ins)cheersJP.

When you ask about whether FS9 simulates icing (besides pitot icing), I interpret this to mean more than eye candy like ice being visible on windscreens and wings. Somebody step in here and correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't know of any airplanes in FS9 where lift and drag are affected by ice accretion. I also question whether engine thrust or power is reduced by operation of engine and wing anti-ice systems.Don S.

Hi,Now that is not true Don! The effects of icing are modeled if using AS2004.5 or ASVE, no matter the plane model. We have had stories of ice build ups so bad, that near stall conditions were in effect, until the pilot dropped to a lower, warmer altitude. Speed, lift and drag were all affected.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Sales and Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_dev_team.jpg http://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_proud_supporter.jpg

Hi,It's actually an internal FS feature. Ice can and does accumulate when in the clouds and within a certain ice-conducive temperature range. Fly in such conditions long enough and you'll be unable to maintain altitude. It's up to the weather engine (or FS9 real wx/theme) to decide when to enable icing within a certain cloud layer (visible moisture) and at what intensity. Certain engines/methods use different criteria for populating such icing parameters. With the AS engine we use cloud altitude temperature, air stability (lapse rate), moisture and existence of vertical and/or cumulonimbus clouds to determine such icing conditions/intensity that should be "rendered". Identified

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

>Right Jim, the Flight1 ATR for instance.>>Too bad that G/A designers do not model it. When they exist,>the anti-ice and de-ice switches are clickable but not>functional.The only operational FS event I've found is "pitot heat." There is a "KEY_ANTI_ICE_TOGGLE" command, but I've never been able to detect it actually doing anything... :(The same thing goes for these key commands:KEY_ANTI_ICE_ONKEY_ANTI_ICE_OFFKEY_ANTI_ICE_SET KEY_ANTI_ICE_TOGGLE_ENG1KEY_ANTI_ICE_TOGGLE_ENG2KEY_ANTI_ICE_TOGGLE_ENG3KEY_ANTI_ICE_TOGGLE_ENG4KEY_ANTI_ICE_SET_ENG1 KEY_ANTI_ICE_SET_ENG2 KEY_ANTI_ICE_SET_ENG3 KEY_ANTI_ICE_SET_ENG4

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

That's good to hear from you guys (I think), especially since I have your excellent ASV product. I've had the "prevent all icing" option selected, however, since my only previous experience with icing in FS9 has been only the loss of all airspeed indication due to pitot blockage. Since pitot heat in the airplanes I fly is normally selected "on," this is neither a realistic nor a complete simulation of icing.I would be intereted in learning more about how airplane lift and drag are affected by different icing intensities modeled by ASV. Since it appears that the effects would not be airplane-dependent, it would still not appear to be very realistic.Thanks,Don S.

Guest georg

Airframe icing is certainly simulated in FS - I remember myself last winter flying Flight1 C172 to Helsinki, Finland with a very cold and snowy weather in VATSIM and when I was on downwind leg, I immediately noticed that something was wrong, because to maintain the altitude I had to apply full throttle at 1000 feet and it was rather complicated to land the aircraft as I had no power reserve. I won't forget that FS flight too soon! :)

Guest Adverse Yawn

Try manually setting the temprature to -5 with rain. Position straight to the end of a runway and take off ASAP in the Cessna and I will be suprised if you make to 300' before crashing back down again. Its not a bad effort at all.Sorry to bring this up, my only gripe is with the Pitot icing. In the real world the ASI probably would not convieniently set itself at zero to make it obvious what has happened, but it will often freeze in situ. A very insidious and nasty condition. Also, how come the machmeter still functions with a forzen pitot - LOL!