Sign in to follow this  
asjsouzajr

Strange behavior with Holding Pattern

It's very weird what happens with the T7 (200, 300 or Freight) as the Screenshots shows sometimes I get a circle and sometimes I get the normal path, although I do the same procedure.

Does anyone already had something like this ? or at least has an idea of what's going on ?

for example during the same flight, same waypoint:

fea27049-41fd-4cdf-9a8b-b65aec8ce012_zps

3S_working_zpsq5yihhms.jpg

Does anyone already had something like this ?

Yes! I've had this happening and I really didn't know why!

I think I "solved" it by deleting the hold and creating it again.

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

I also think it is related to the angle of the inbound course to the hold fix. On the first screenshot hold is at DEMAB with no intercept angle while the 2nd shows you have a 10deg inbound angle to SOLVU.

Maybe the reason???

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

I'm not really sure if, even if you get an ugly circular pattern as a "preview" on the ND, the plane will actually fly a usual holding pattern.

Could you confirm the plane does not fly in circles?

Maybe the reason???

Maybe, but I'd be amazed if that was the actual real aircraft feature. If that was the case, I would consider it then a correct representation of a real aircraft's bug. Something like the "incorrectly regarded as goofs" section at IMDB :D

Jaime Beneyto

I tested just to see what would happens and the acft just follows the circle (quite ridiculous kkkk).

Yes! I've had this happening and I really didn't know why!

I think I "solved" it by deleting the hold and creating it again.

I'll give a try and report back.

Happened yesterday. Saw the circle depicted on the ND about 50 miles prior. Don't recall if it changed shape, in part because I Armed and exited the HOLD without completing a full circuit.

Regards,

Claude Franklin

unfortunately, nothing I've tried works ...

I think I'll have to live with this problem, because even uninstall and reinstall I've tried

Why don't you raise a Support ticket at PMDG and have them investigate?

Spoiler

Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge

unfortunately, nothing I've tried works ...
I think I'll have to live with this problem, because even uninstall and reinstall I've tried

Why don't you raise a Support ticket at PMDG and have them investigate?

Absolutely! Submit a ticket and have them look into it please!

Jaime Beneyto

Yesterday I was recording my flight tutorial, and fate had it that the circular holding pattern appeared again on the ND. I let the plane fly into it to see what he did, the circle just got bigger and bigger and LNAV flew straight away. When I couldn't hold it any longer I reverted to HDG SEL and directed the plane into the correct holding pattern (this is good airmanship by the way, instead of trying to figure out what the hell LNAV is doing, I revert to a lower automation mode and regain control of the aircraft's navigation)

I think the problem arose when I put a 5 nm LEG into the HOLD page instead of the default 1 min time.

I'll describe the sequence of events:

1.- First I created the holding pattern at the IAF LOPNA before descent. You can see it in my video here (it's in Spanish, but not really necessary to understand what I say) from 18:18 to 19:37. The shape of the holding pattern looks fine.

Qd9wmm8.jpg

2.- Descent starts. The holding pattern looks fine all the way to the waypoint that's immediately BEFORE the holding waypoint, which is DGO.

42mQToj.jpg

3.- Exactly when the waypoint hold becomes active after passing DGO, the hold on the ND turns into a circle. You can see how that happens here at exactly 22:23

biMQu0d.jpg

4.- Once I reach the hold waypoint and "enter the hold", the circle becomes bigger and bigger until it's huge. See the video at exactly 25:00 once the aircraft reaches LOPNA.

wM7MqaG.jpg

5.- Finally at 25:42 I have to revert to TRK SEL, the circle becomes smaller again.

cOph02w.jpg

6.- Once established on the outbound leg of the hold, I exit the hold and delete it in the FMC. Then I create it again, this time leaving the default 1 min leg. Now it looks fine.

uI77yJA.jpg

7.- Finally the aircraft flies the hold just fine. Just not with the 5nm leg that I wanted but with the 1min default leg.

F78YOxp.jpg

I did submit a ticket. Let's see what the support team has to say :)

Jaime Beneyto

How interesting. Glad you were able to reproduce it. 

Keep us posted and what PMDG says about this.

Spoiler

Mark Aldridge