Sign in to follow this  
Boeing or not going

Anyone familiar with Southwest's fleet?

I am hoping someone is familiar with Southwest Airlines. I would like some information about the -700's purchased by Southwest, and also taken by the merger with AirTran. Are these aircraft using the same cockpit layout as they had before, or did Southwest have the changes made like adding a heads-up display, no altitude callouts, and analog standby instruments? To match the rest of their fleet? Thank you - David Lee

Hi - I can give you some info on WN's -700/800NG fleet changes in recent years:

1. In 2010, they switched from the EFIS/MAP/Side-By-Side Engine info layout to the PFD/ND/Over-Under Engine info layout, with single-cue flight director.

2. They installed HUDs

3. VNAV was also added

4. Their entire NG fleet is fully RNAV approach capable w/RNP/ANP

5. Callouts - no idea?

6. Some of their NG series still have analog standby instruments, but I believe the newer planes utilize ISFDs

Maybe someone else here can also comment?

Jim

• Upvote 1

Jim Blake
Captain, SWA Virtual Airlines
Real World C172 Pilot, AOPA #06034701
 sig_concordeX.jpg  Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I fly on Southwest a lot for work. I routinely try to get a chance talk to the pilots when I can. All of the above is true except on of the captains recently said that Southwest still orders their new planes with analog standby gauges. So I think the only airframes with IFSD gauges are ones that were aquired from other sources.

Dave

• Upvote 1

Dave Paige

Sure seems like they are using altitude callouts:

At least for 100, 50, 30, 10 feet.

I'd like to inquire about light usage (especially landing lights). :smile:

• Upvote 1

I jumpseat on Southwest often. They have the altitude callouts as posted above, HUD's on every aircraft I've been on (even the -300 models, and they are captain side only for every aircraft), analog standby's, most of the -300's still use steam gauges, the -300 also has no autothrottle; all are INOP. Also, they turn their landing lights on/off once passing FL180.

Couple pictures I snagged in the -300. Couldn't take better pictures, because I was trying to be sneaky  :wink: IMG_0820_zpsvemelmrn.png

IMG_0821_zpsxlmic6ts.png

• Upvote 1

-Chris Crawford

-ATP/MEL

- B737 / B777 / B-727 / EMB-145 / LR-JET

I jumpseat on Southwest often. They have the altitude callouts as posted above, HUD's on every aircraft I've been on (even the -300 models, and they are captain side only for every aircraft), analog standby's, most of the -300's still use steam gauges, the -300 also has no autothrottle; all are INOP. Also, they turn their landing lights on/off once passing FL180.

Couple pictures I snagged in the -300. Couldn't take better pictures, because I was trying to be sneaky  :wink: IMG_0820_zpsvemelmrn.png

IMG_0821_zpsxlmic6ts.png

I fly on Southwest a lot for work. I routinely try to get a chance talk to the pilots when I can. All of the above is true except on of the captains recently said that Southwest still orders their new planes with analog standby gauges. So I think the only airframes with IFSD gauges are ones that were aquired from other sources.

Dave

Thanks to you both! I thought they all had analog standby instruments. But the AirTran a/c I believe all have lcd. I don't think they had them changed to analog standby after joining the fleet did they? And the second hand aircraft purchased did they change any layouts too?

Can either of you tell me the exact callout settings? Because all the aircraft ini files I've seen had nothing set or everything set and in real life they used to not use any callouts afaik. And the minimums are those callouts activated? Must have been fitted after changing over from the side by side instruments on the ng's.

Any other ini file settings you all can tell me is appreciated. V1 callout or no? Also do the -800's have the selcal listed in the cockpit placard or only the registration like the -700's? If you can get a picture of the -700 and -800 registration plate in the vc I'd appreciate it. I like flying realistically. some of the repaints in the library have the correct panel that has "cat III" above the PFD and I'm trying to find the correct layout of the registration placard too.

Cost index still 20?

As you can see I'm a realism addict, and it's hard to fly southwest since I had no callouts set, and that really makes landing a handful. since they do have callouts I am going to ditch the United routes and fly southwest again.

-David Lee

As someone who obviously values realism, you might be interested the template SWA uses to note down the ATIS information. I did it completely by myself, but it's a 95% accurate I'd say since I used a real-world recording as reference. Have fun!

https://www.mediafire.com/?yokqn5zuf9q4jsh

Unbenannt21.png

• Upvote 1

As someone who obviously values realism, you might be interested the template SWA uses to note down the ATIS information. I did it completely by myself, but it's a 95% accurate I'd say since I used a real-world recording as reference. Have fun!

https://www.mediafire.com/?yokqn5zuf9q4jsh

Unbenannt21.png

Peoples' intense need for realism like this is why I love this hobby and community. <3
  • Upvote 1

Peoples' intense need for realism like this is why I love this hobby and community. <3

If you knew what else I'm doing... :blush:

IMG_0371.jpg

• Upvote 2