Sign in to follow this  
pmb

Discussion Thread for the "Ask Dovetail Games..." Thread!

Agreed. I felt really uneasy when I read this. Is DT unable to produce a convincing in-game video?

Kind regards, Michael.

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Wouldn't basic flying tutorials include navigation lessons? There isn't much point in learning to fly a plane if you can't work out where you're going!

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Is the content going to be $15 better than the lessons in FSX?

Will there be more content?

With Walmart or Dior lipstick added?

• Upvote 1

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Please put your comments in this thread...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Wouldn't basic flying tutorials include navigation lessons? There isn't much point in learning to fly a plane if you can't work out where you're going!

I'd be surprised if the program includes anything beyond visual navigation by landmarks, with the ever-present option of just launching a moving map window to see where you are. 

I think that's consistent with introducing newcomers to the "fun of flying." Once you get into any real navigation with radio navaids or even realistic use of a GPS, it's more like "work" and maybe not so much "fun" for anyone with a casual interest. But I guess we'll see.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

With the PPL, most navigation boils down to pilotage and dead reckoning and given that dead reckoning is probably the least fun navigation to do period, I doubt it's included. 

You get a little bit of VOR and ADF work with the PPL, but it's basically just using them to figure out your general location. 

Wait....... You want to buy from the windows store?  :shok:

• Upvote 2

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Where is the in game footage? Seems very odd the question is being circumvented. Why would we only want to see "not in game footage" as the trailer? The only in game I saw were a few more static images it seems.

I think nobody is circumventing anything here. There is no in-game footage yet. That simple. This does not mean DTG can or shall not release one in the next future.

It is just a trailer. Please note that even the official trailer for FSX Steam was not an in-game footage.

Where is the problem?

Where is the in game footage? Seems very odd the question is being circumvented. Why would we only want to see "not in game footage" as the trailer? The only in game I saw were a few more static images it seems.

I believe it goes back to who the target audience is. Do you think someone who has never run a flight sim is going to care about how nice the trees look compared to FSX or whether there are cockpit shadows or not? Sure, WE do, but again, people who already know how to start a prop and get it off of ground are NOT the target audience of Flight School. A "boring" gameplay video won't capture these people's interest, but a dramatic cinematic will. (I'm still laughing at the pilot grunting while pulling the stick back, sounds like something I heard in a public restroom today)

My real burning question for Dovetail is a quite simple one- why no C172???? It seems to be one of the most common planes to learn to fly in, I'm rather shocked that they skipped over it.

• Upvote 1

I think nobody is circumventing anything here. There is no in-game footage yet. That simple. This does not mean DTG can or shall not release one in the next future.

It is just a trailer. Please note that even the official trailer for FSX Steam was not an in-game footage.

While there is no official video with in game footage, there is this, which seems to show they are using the FSX style mission system for the lessons.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

You get a little bit of VOR and ADF wor​k with the PPL, but it's basically just using them to figure out your general location

I would expect that to be included in Flight School as a bare minimum. It's all very well talking about "fun", but you still have to teach the proper basics of flying if you want anything useful to come from the project.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I can understand why they would release a trailer with "cinematic" style footage, but I have never been a big fan of trailers/adverts that do not use real in game footage. In fact, I was under the impression that this had been changed at some point in the past, but I guess all that really happened was that advertisers were simply told to insert "not in game footage" if they were using cinematics instead.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Let's not make a storm in a cup of water guys....

Yesterday I installed the latest version of IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad, which as a surprise was brought to 64 bit.  Just because of that, and although there was no noticeble in overall FPS, stability inrcreased  considerably, 80 simultaneoous aircraft in the skies plus tanks on ground, beautifuly rendered weather and many many objects allover the places, plus the great Moscow Map, loaded and ran flawlessly for the whole duration of my online sessions...

Just for the stability tha 64 bit will bring, first with the Flying School and latter with their Flight Sim, don't you think it is more than worse being happy ?

• Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I can understand why they would release a trailer with "cinematic" style footage, but I have never been a big fan of trailers/adverts that do not use real in game footage. In fact, I was under the impression that this had been changed at some point in the past, but I guess all that really happened was that advertisers were simply told to insert "not in game footage" if they were using cinematics instead.

For the record, I'm no fan of it either. I'm hoping they'll target us more experienced folks when it comes time to unveil and talk about the full simulation later this year. Logically, by then the newbs will have gone through school, the target audience should shift to more seasoned users....right Dovetail?? :-)

Oh, and the stability of 64 bit is what I look forward to the most. I'm not a computer genius or anything, but does this mean that DFS will use graphics card and RAM more and not just put everything on the processor like FSX?

Tempted just to try it out...

Do we know 

a, if Simconnect/plug-ins such as FSUIPC will be supported?

b, Whose Cherokee is included?

Two Pipers and no Cessna's sounds like a licensing deal...

I've got the A2A Cherokee, so sort of wish a different plane was included...but heigh-ho, never mind :)

Cheers

Keith